- Thanks Franz for the whole energy you bring in. Sorry for the quick response. I am in the middle of my relocation-activities for our move back to Palestine. IMessage 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2009View SourceThanks Franz for the whole energy you bring in. Sorry for the quick response. I am in the middle of my relocation-activities for our move back to Palestine.I am attaching an overview chart which is in line with the idea in general.WaelOn Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Franz Nahrada <f.nahrada@...> wrote:
Dear Globalvillagers! Hallo Sasha, thanks for asking and wanting more
details on what I just shortly mentioned in my letter.
It is encouraging how seriously many people want to link their lives and
activities to a new culture - bringing up new ideas for new structures.
It is a time of growing our associations and endavours. It is becoming
visible that the Internet has deeply changed the infrastructures of our
lives and given way to new players some of whom we dont know yet.
So I thank everyone who took part last monday at a meeting at the
Karolinenhof in Vienna, where I networked people that are seriously
thinking if a better structure could be found to support
"Open Source product development by a commercial structure that would
bring products to the market in an accountable way".
Thomas Diener presented his vision of "Fairware", and although Thomas is
not so fluent in English he wrote up for us what he thinks is important.
This might be also relevant for the villages economy. On Wednesday, we
held another meeting, a good - bye meeting for Inga Boehm who is
travelling to Missouri to live and work on FactorEFarm. We talked about
Open Source Ecology Europe and the way village products could support
village maintainance. I think the idea of merging fair trade with Open
Source is interesting in many respects.
So here is Thomas' concept:
THE FAIRWARE CONCEPT: A "HYBRID" COMPANY
"I'll can send a more structured text within the next few weeks
but it will be in my very simple English. If somebody would like
to translate from German into English it would make my job
I just start with a kind of sketch:
We would like to design a new way to develop and produce products. The
Imagine all products we purchase and use contain the following quality
- fully serviceable
- easy to keep up-to-date (acc. techn. products)
- positive ecobalance
Imagine that in such factories, where above described products are
manufactured there is also appreciation for workers - so we even would
like to work there.
From there, we would love to use these products with clear conscience and
a kind of pride as we consider it as "our products". These products belong
to us, because its developed from our pure needs and designed and made by
us, potentially. More, trademark rights are owned by us in our roles as
worker/producer and consumer, concurrently.
These are products whose design and goodwill is considered common
In this sense there are already a lot of useful initiatives, e.g. Software
relying on a range of striking Open Source applications.
But what about cell phones, sneakers, furniture, cars, solar panels, as
well as many other products?
Lets call it the Open Source Physical Product side, not only electronic
hardware, but all kind of different stuff,
Indeed, even here there are some remarkable projects launched, but didn't
made headway, so far.
In comparison to above mentioned initiatives todays business mergers and
affiliated corporations are more powerful, financially strong, and rather
Think about what will happen, if we combine efficiency of a large
commercial structure, the capability of Open Souce, IT options, and the
vitality of Social Communities?
to concretize this vision we need:
- a form of organization which combines the efficiency of a global company
with a deep democratic foundation.
- a clear structure which allows fast growth and the involvement of many
- a web 2 community-based communication between all the players which
allows not only to brainstorm ideas, to crowdsource questions/solutions
and to control the different players but also to facilitate and to
visualize basic decisions making process.
The ideas to realize this dream are so far:
- the democratic foundation is possible through a special form of
participation: Every person which is involved in the "Company" is
automatically a co-holder of the company. Since as developer and designer
of products, as producer or as consumer (any person can of course be a mix
of all this roles). This model is proven by big and successful companies
like for instance "Visa-Card"
([ http://www.chaordic.org ]http://www.chaordic.org ) and maybe also some
cooperatives like Mondragon, Migros etc.
- to set up a organizational form we call "Hybrid global company" it is a
combination of basically 3 elements:
- - a foundation with legal capacity. The goal is:
- - - to assure that the "ethic" nucleus of the company will sustain
- - - to gather the precious parts of the company in order to keep them
away from the greediness of some player inside or outside of the company
(precious could be: the social community platform, the brand of the
Compagnie and of each product, the design of the corporate communication
and each product and so on.)
- - a limited company which is responsible for the operative part of the
work (coordination, translations, marketing, and so on).
- - - This joint stock company is only responsible to provide the services
around the "Hybrid global company".
- - a social community platform which is
- - - the "newspaper" of the company (independent from the foundation and
the limited company.
- - - the place where all the players are represented
- - - the place where the global direction of the company were discussed
and basic decision were made (something like a online parliament)
- - - The place where crowdsourcing can happen
- - - and so on . . .
This 3 Elements are basicly independend but connected trough a structural
coupling. In the best case that could grow into an living system, which
stabilize itself in a very dynamic way.
An exemple of this interplay you can find hier
]http://fairwork.mixxt.org/networks/wiki/index.ProdukteGeschichte (only in
german yet) - "The history of a product" describes in full detail what
would be a "democratic economic process"
Maybe someone could translate it to english and english pages could be
added in that Wiki.
What could be the next steps:
There are of course a lot of unsolved problems around this idea. But best
way to bring it into practice is to start.
So I suggest to build a foundation for that project and we need a first
striking product for the start of a cooperation between developer,
producers and consumers.
I am willing to maintain the process of building the foundation. The Swiss
law is very flexible and allows to start with a very small amount of
money. Anybody who would like to help me with the formulation of the
articles of corporation is kindly invited to help.
Thomas Diener, FairWork GmbH
Binzstrasse 9, Zürich Gentzgasse 6, Wien
Steinhaldenstrasse 51 Tannengasse 1/15
CH 8002 Zürich A 2230 Gänserndorf
044 500 11 01 0720 51 80 31
079 376 63 36 0699 170 92229
+41 44 500 11 01