Health care based on compassion?

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17 5:04 PM
      Franz Nahrada has written how health is a key reason for global
      villages. I share an idea about organizing health care.

      I've been thinking that a solution for US health care problems would be
      a "compassion" test. The public (by way of the federal, state and local
      government) could decide what health care it wants to provide as part of
      compassion to all. We'd simply think as we do as individuals, how much
      compassion should we have for a particular person needing our help with
      their health care expenses.

      So, for example, compassion might suggest paying 100% of chemotherapy a
      20-year-old cancer patient but 0% for chemotherapy for an 80-year-old
      cancer patient; but paying 100% of pain medication in both cases. Or 0%
      for a patient who doesn't play their part - like quitting smoking, if
      that's relevant.

      These choices would be based on what the public can afford and chooses
      to cover for everybody. This would be covered for all and that would
      eliminate the overhead (maybe one-third) that comes from record keeping,
      insurance, etc.

      Then there would be insurance (private and/or public) for everything
      that's not covered by public compassion.

      This approach would force a public dialogue on health care issues. Who
      should we have most compassion for and who not?

      What am I missing? and has somebody suggested this?

      And we might organize our own health care with our own resources based
      on such an approach. In a sense we did last year during the Kenya turmoil.