Re: Factor E Farm, How do we learn?

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2009
      Hi Marcin and all,

      Franz Nahrada has collected links to letters and comments from himself,
      Michel Bauwens, Stefen Meretz, Vinay Gupta and others who are learning
      from recent events at Marcin Jakubowski's Factor E Farm where Ben and
      Jeremy were forced to leave on short notice.
      I also share Mark Roest's letter below and Jeff Buderer, Benoit Couture
      and others have written at:

      I add my own personal reflections.
      * I think Marcin's approach is intrinsically competitive. He's
      interested in his own success, but not very interested in anybody else's
      success. He competes for donations, for people, for resources and
      especially, for attention in conceptual space, where I think scarcity
      economics is very intense. Conceptual space tends toward monopolies
      (like Google, Microsoft, YouTube, Twitter, etc...) And I think this
      competitiveness is more or less true of most online projects that I know
      of, including Oekonux, Keimform, P2P Foundation, Global Swadeshi, One
      Village. In that sense, I myself compete for Franz Nahrada's attention,
      for example. I think I'm competing successfully in that through Minciu
      Sodas I am organizing Worknets as a network of labs (mine, Samwel
      Kongere's, Franz's GIVE) and online groups (Franz's Global Villages,
      Janet Feldman's Holistic Helping, Samwel's Mendenyo, Pamela McLean's
      Learning From Each Other, Edward Cherlin's Earth Treasury and more)
      where there is a lot of energy shared in supporting each other's
      success. (And we're outliving highly touted efforts such as Doug
      Engelbart's Bootstrap Institute, Dee Hock's Chaordic Commons, MIT Media
      Lab's Think Cycle, Eric Eugene Kim's Blue Oxen, Pierre Omidyar's
      Omidyar.net) I think I (and we) are competing positively in that I
      (and we) are open to working with everybody toward a minimal culture for
      such shared energy, as I'm expressing with my draft of the Worknets
      Charter http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Charter which includes working
      in the Public Domain, helping people earn money but not charging people
      to care about them, and wanting all to succeed. My own conclusion after
      years of trying to engage other groups is that at this point we may well
      succeed around our own efforts to create a culture of independent
      thinkers. It seems that the more we succeed, the more others are
      inclined to join into our culture.
      * I think Marcin's commitment is very impressive and very rare. That's
      a key problem, that there aren't many alternative on-the-ground leaders
      in do-it-yourself open source global village technology. It's a reason
      to support Marcin and all such pioneers.
      * I suppose that it's nice to showcase all technology in a single
      village. But I think it's unreal, it's simplistic. Most of the world
      already has a built environment, infrastructure and technology that can
      be leveraged. I think it's counter to sustainability to abandon it. I
      agree that we do need a "do-it-yourself" approach to technology, but
      primarily on the level of skills and initiative, being able to do or
      organize one's own repairs, renovations, improvements. What I think
      will be real is a network of people with useful solutions. Ricardo has
      helped dozens of Africans get computers, get online, make the most of
      their technology, buy on eBay and trade locally. Zenonas Anusauskas (I
      live with his family) uses a simple furnace he invented for burning wet
      wood and household waste by which hot air dries the fuel before it is
      burned. The real "global village" technologies are I think the ones
      that help you remake your environment, not build from scratch. In that
      sense, even if Marcin was completely successful, his work may be mostly
      irrelevant, in that he's assuming that you'll start from scratch. But
      furthermore, his approach to his own land - such as where to build on it
      - seems haphazard, at odds with Christopher Alexander's "timeless way of
      building" where you feel through your surroundings, what's optimal for
      quality of life. I don't think that there's much notion of "quality of
      life" at Factor E Farm, and thus no way that the collection of tools
      that he builds are going to be valid for real world global villages.
      * I support an alternative approach that focuses on small projects (say,
      $100 each) such as Tom Ochuka's hand cart for water. We can learn
      something from each such project, build skills and get experience and
      share that. If we had hundreds of such projects, then we'd have
      something much more real than Factor E Farm. And they can benefit real
      people, as in Africa, rather than in a contrived situation, like Marcin's.
      * I support an alternative approach that focuses on the individual and
      their dreams - how to support them as a person who grows - rather than
      their projects, which may hinder their growth. If Marcin had said,
      "Help me live my dream life..." (rather than "the world needs my
      projects") then maybe he'd still be with Britanny and maybe his
      inventions would have some human context. I think it's a big mistake
      that he takes himself out of the picture, which is why I keep organizing
      around the deepest values of each individual. (Marcin's is "The freedom
      that technology gives you" which I think is helpful to know, where his
      leadership is relevant, and both his strong point and weak point.) We
      could have an "economy of dreams" but I don't know Marcin's personal
      dream. I ask us all to write about our dreams.
      * I support an alternative approach that builds on other people's
      efforts. Marcin started out on his own and I suppose that's what you
      have to do when you are a pioneer, and what I've done with Minciu
      Sodas. But most "global villagers" are going to be drawn into the
      movement and can add their energy to existing efforts. Franz Nahrada
      helped me see the relevance of the village. After the city displaced me
      from the Atzalynas community center, and then left it without any doors,
      I thought to myself, Who are the most inspiring villagers that I know
      of? Zenonas and Audrone agreed that I live with them and their
      delightful family. I'm able to boost Audrone's work to foster sobriety,
      Zenonas's Internet TV http://www.internettv.lt and get to know villagers
      at their church, at the sawmill in their back yard that supplies them
      with waste wood, or who supply us with milk because they keep their cows
      and horses in their barn, or who use the Internet access at four
      computers in the large room which is their bedroom at night. This is a
      real global village, a real example with real impact on real people.
      As I live here, people will get to know about it. I expect that Samwel
      and I and other Worknets lab leaders will have photo blogs that show
      people the on-the-ground activity. In 2003, I proposed to Marcin that
      he blog so that we might learn, as we are, from his real life rather
      than his crop yields. His blog is a great inspiration. I think from our
      blogs it will be clear what it means to be a global villager. I think
      that Zenonas and Audrone are much more relevant examples for the global
      villages movement than Factor E Farm, they are real leaders who care in
      real ways about real people, but they don't speak English. We can
      identify and organize around such leaders.
      * I support an alternative approach that focuses on the joy of a
      creative culture as the most relevant dimension of a global village.
      I'm building on Zenonas's Internet TV and home studio to make creative
      philosophical films and there's real interest from the art communities
      in Uzhupis, Smalininkai and other hubs that I think might each produce
      channels at his station. This creative activity is I think what's
      relevant for people to want to be together and live as community, fall
      in love and raise children.
      * Open source software is a poor model for a healthy economics, just as
      computers are a poor model for people. The software community consists,
      in my experience, of people whose social skills are less than average,
      as reflected in social software which most typically forces people to
      interact in very controlled ways. Software is really not that important
      in life, and what may work in organizing software projects (where maybe
      only 1% ever thrive), isn't relevant for on-the-ground problems as when
      people live together in an intentional community (which must address
      100% of issues).
      * I welcome Marcin's participation in Worknets - I'm glad for Ben and
      Jeremy's help to link us in our work together for Mornflake - but I
      don't expect that Marcin cares about my efforts or the Worknets initiative.
      * I prefer not to compete, but I am willing to compete. I choose to
      invest myself in those who want a shared culture (which I am pursuing as
      Worknets). I support Samwel Kongere's work on sustainability and I
      believe that in a year or two we might organize around him a lab with
      on-the-ground do-it-yourself technology that outshines Factor E Farm but
      also is a real base for real activity and a real example of global
      villages living.
      * I think that my approach will win for the following reasons:
      1) I will find a way for our network's participants to earn as much
      money as they need. I'm encouraged by our successes so far. If we're
      financially independent, then we can't be stopped.
      2) I will focus on the joy of encouraging each other's creative work.
      3) I will explore and support God's interests as an investigator in the
      variety of our values, questions, concerns, endeavors.
      4) I will encourage the growth of leaders of our culture and subcultures
      and be ever open to working with other groups.
      * I look forward to competing (and collaborating or not) and checking
      results in a year or two.

      I share Mark's letter below.