Voting - result announced.

  • Pamela McLean
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 15, 2009
      Ricardo and everyone

      Announcement from Ideas for Africa
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ideasforafrica
      1st Prize!! Zittnet - Agricultural Network Centres Wins $3,000 - http://bit.ly/uQSaO
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Many thanks to all who voted. Zittnet had got to first place a couple of days ago, then fell back and the others went well ahead again. Zittnet  rallied, and made an impressive spurt. This morning, with less than six hours to go Zittnet was still second place and just five votes behind teh leaders. Zittnet  got some more votes, but the others got more still and  Zittnet fell further behind. However, with the help of last minute voters, the final count was  Zittnet first with 281, second place had 273.

      Congratulations to Zittnet - and its parent organisation Fantsuam Foundation. The prize money will be well spent - and it is wonderful that after all the troubles and problems faced so courageously this year there is now some good news.

      Pam

      Dadamac
      UK-Africa Connections
      www.dadamac.net

      2009/8/15 ricardoolpc <ricardoolpc@...>

      Dear Friends

      can I ask a favour? Pam McLean's friends at Fantsuam Foundation in Nigeria are trying to win a cash-grant in a competition, organised by the US Peace Corps (similar to VSO). At the moment, Zittnett are in 2nd place in this round-of-voting. There is only 5 hours to go until voting closes for this round. Would it be possible for some or all of you to vote for the Zittnet project please? You will need to do a quick registration with the site first (username, email and password), then vote for Zittnett.

      Please go here to sign-up http://arc.peacecorpsconnect.org/#sign-up

      (you will probably still be logged in at this stage, but there's also a Login button, if needed)

      then go to this page about Zittnett (I got there from Contest, Leaderboard, Zittnett)...

      http://arc.peacecorpsconnect.org/view/299/zittnet-harnessing-information-to-make-rural-markets-work-better

      and Vote for the Zittnet WiFi idea by clicking the 'Endorse It' button.

      Many thanks.

      Ricardo

    • ricardoolpc
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 15, 2009

        Hi Pam

        That's great news. I know Sasha voted for Zittnet today. I don't know how many other people voted in the last few hours. Thanks Sasha and everyone else who voted for Zittnet.

        Voting has been open for 30 days. Zittnet was in 2nd place this morning, so I posted a message this morning asking people to vote, when there was just 5 hours left to go. Sasha and others voted, and that was enough to move it up to 1st place, for the $3000 prize. I'm sure other people were helping to get the vote out as well.

        These are the final positions on the Leaderboard, for the 30 day competition that ended today...

        http://arc.peacecorpsconnect.org/contest

        This is the page about Zittnet. They operate a WiFi network at Fantsuam Foundation, but this new project is about providing farm-price information to help farmers decide whether to go to market that day, to sell their produce. You can see the page now says 'Prize Winner' on the right.

        http://arc.peacecorpsconnect.org/view/299/zittnet-harnessing-information-to-make-rural-markets-work-better

        Thanks once again. A great team-effort.

        Ricardo

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 15, 2009
          Dear All,

          This is marvelous news, and so well-deserved!!  Please let us know about how this project proceeds, as my own organization in Kenya and so many others would find this idea and its implementation invaluable.

          With huge bravos and blessings always, Janet