TRUTH art exhibition in Pispala, Tampere, Finland

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2009
      Markus, Mikko,

      Thank you for your encouragement to participate in the Truth exhibition
      which I share with others at Minciu Sodas and also ActALIVE (deadline
      August 20, details below). Yes, I want to submit my first philosophical
      video. Yesterday I finished the visual track and now I'm adding diagrams
      and audio text. It's 10 minutes long and will be about 50 MB in size.
      Can I give you a URL from where to download it?

      My video includes footage of my first statue, the philosophical
      structure of "Wishes", which I built in Smalininkai, Lithuania. Here are
      photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/50525222@N00/

      I enjoyed your exhibit at Uzhupis. I uploaded some pictures from your visit:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?HumanHuman/Finland
      if you change the urls you can get the larger originals, for example,
      change:
      http://www.worknets.org/upload/images/standard/20090714-Atvaizd014.jpg
      to http://www.worknets.org/upload/images/20090714-Atvaizd014.jpg

      +370 699 30003
      Dukiskes, Lithuania
      (home of Zenonas's http://www.internetine.tv.lt )

      Call for Exhibition

      The Center of Contemporary Art Pispala is organizing an exhibition
      "Truth" as a part of γνῶθι σεαυτόν– Organizing the Structure of
      Conspiracy. We seek submissions for Truth and also Art Mondo -part of
      the exhibition, which will be shown during the 4th Pirkanmaa Triennial.

      Material format: Videos (DVD, max. 10min), pics(open to all
      suggestions), texts(max.5pages A4), objets d’art (open to
      suggestions), live art (we would prefer video format, but would consider
      suggestions).

      Deadline for the submissions is: 20 Aug
      Exhibition: 12th Sept - 4th Oct
      Opening: 11th Sept
      22nd Sept Art Mondo (Equinocturnal Gathering) – Event during exhibition
      period.

      If the material you wish to submit is large, please talk to us before
      hand. Our exhibition space is limited so size
      of submissions is a consideration.

      Please provide your contact information if you would like to recive
      feedback from visitors to the exhibition.
      Anonymous contributions are welcome.

      Description

      Submissions should deal with the theme: Points of view from the edges of
      art and from the margins of the believable: videobridge conversations
      and free-form lectures from rebel thinkers and doers from near and far.

      Contextualization

      As long ago as 1651, in his book "Leviathan" the English philosopher
      Thomas Hobbes compared the complex structure of a modern country to that
      of a sea monster which had grown in size beyond the scope of human
      understanding. Now in the fourth century after the release of Hobbes ́
      book, the monster has grown even more in size and complexity. Bigger
      than ever before! For many, it is difficult to see oneself as a part of
      this huge creature.

      While people are trying to get a grip of it's complexity, different
      kinds of theories are born - including those of conspiracies. The
      conspiracy theories that can't be proven either right or wrong can
      become prophecies of their time. There's no hereafter or apocalypse that
      would prove their existence - or thereby non-existence. Thus
      contemporary "modern" societies have also the official media-religion
      with its own prophecies. People who are creating the alternative
      theories are the heretics that challenge these “officially approved”
      prophecies. In ancient Greece, the proverb gnōthi seauton - know thyself
      was scribed above the door to the Temple of Apollo, inside of which the
      famous Delfoi oracle gave prophecies to people seeking wisdom and
      answers. The modern day Hero, Neo of the movie Matrix encounters the
      same proverb in Latin when consulting the Oracle guide in the tale. This
      phrase can therefore be understood as counsel for those trying to
      understand prophecies - for true understanding of wisdom given from
      outside, we should first look into ourselves. Perhaps after that we can
      decide which prophesies we take for the truth?

      Contacts
      exhibition curator: Markus Petz
      email: evs.coordinator@...
      gallery mobile: +358 (0) 41 789 119
      gallery location: Hirvikatu 10, Pispala, 33240 Tampere, Finland
      web: http://www.hirvikatu10.net/wordpress.1/?page_id=8

      Mark Petz wrote (to Andrius Kulikauskas and Thomas Chepaitis)