Responding to hunger in Kenya; First Thursday Chat

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2009
      Pamela McLean invites us to chat on Thursday, August 6, 2009 at 13.00
      London, Nigeria, 15,00 Kenya time. Join us at: http://www.worknets.org/chat/

      We've received some requests for help from Kenya. I invite Josphat and
      all to join us at Samwel Kongere's working group Mendenyo
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mendenyo/ You can subscribe by sending a
      blank message to mendenyo-subscribe@yahoogroups.com or let me know at
      ms@...

      Samwel Kongere's telephone is: +254 725 600 439 (Rusinga Island) and Tom
      Ochuka's is: +254 712 929 029 (Kisumu). Please do call Life Pillars
      Program at 254-20-313010 or 0726987893.

      I'm interested how we might help with Tom Ochuka's hand cart idea. Also,
      please Samwel report on the money I sent, what has happened to it. Peter
      Ongere, please write about your plans for returning the 100 USD I loaned
      you last year. Dennis Kimambo, please likewise write.

      Thank you,

      --------------------------

      JosphatMogwamboNyamwange
      http://www.facebook.com/people/Josphat-Mogwambo-Nyamwange/1427839767

      August 1, 2009
      JosphatMogwamboNyamwange: Hunger! Hunger! People are dying! The well
      wishers can come out and help. We have been trying to help but now
      extending my request to any who is willing to help to go ahead and get
      in touch. Help please , please.

      Fri, 31 Jul 09 05:15:28
      NYAMWANGE JOSPHAT MOGWAMBO: Morning all. the situation of a local
      tribunal is another nightmare in the government.Youth who participated
      in violence were highly charged in our courts but the big fish is left
      out.Who will ever save the poor from the harsh conditions they passing
      through? I am worried for our MP's.

      lifepillarsprogram yahoo.com: I am appealing to Kenyans ,well wishers
      and our friends abroad who might come across this article to take this
      words at heart.Many people are suffering from hunger across the
      country.When travel to slums, rural areas people are living a difficult
      situations. Anybody willing to help 1 pkt of unga or anything edible
      please get in touch with to raise food and help our brothers and
      sisters.My contacts are 254-20-313010 or 0726987893. HELP AT THE TIME OF
      NEED AND GOD WILL BLESS YOU.

      Dear all,
      I made a posting Recently on water shortage,this is treatening our lives and activities in kisumu,Thanks to Sam and all we are still looking for ways on how to make a cheap HAND CART.
      This is the only best thought of solution,Sam i will give answer to all your questions.
      Let me hear from any in the forum too.
      Thanks
      TOM OCHUKA.

      -----------------------

      Dear All

      just to make it easier to see all the information together that Tom
      Ochuka posted about overcoming the shortage and high cost of drinking
      water in Kisumu, instead of a link to a document, here's the text from
      his .doc file and a direct link to his photo of a hancart. At the end,
      I've added some info about Africart, a cheap design of handcart. Ricardo.

      The photo of the handcart is here (Description : A hand-cart for taking
      water containers to a water source in Kenya, during the water shortage.
      Photo by Tom Ochuka, July 2009.)...

      Tom's Document text

      ...and here's the text from Tom's document (called Kisumu
      http://d.yimg.com/kq/groups/19134504/979695762/name/Kisumu) :-

      Kisumu is a city of more than half a million and is the 3rd largest city
      in Kenya ,lying 350 kilometers wet of Nairobi Kenya's capital city
      ,kisumu stretches to te lake Victoria so that when you are in kisumu at
      the heart of the town you can walk to the lake.

      Lake Victoria is the biggest fresh water lake world over, with the
      highest catch of Tilapia and Mbuta(Nile perch).

      Lake Victoria Enjoys inland Drainages of Rivers Nyando and another
      Nyamasaria from Nandi hills in Riftavalley., However this has never gone
      without any challenges, Rainfall in kisumu is largely between March-
      April, with light rains between Aug � September, they are called the
      harvesting rains by the locals.

      With this big or huge water mass Kisumu like any Kenyan cities have the
      taps dry for many seasons and especially this time of global change ,we
      have experience water shortage, this usually result to diseases such us
      cholera ,dysentery, Typhoid and skin infections, that's the most
      dangerous side of it while it has positive impact for fisher men and
      farmers.

      Efforts have been made to have this area get water by the KIWASCO,
      Kisumu water and sewerage company but all has proved to be futile as the
      system is old and the population is growing and so most big estates in
      the city cannot get water, at times men who wear suit to go to work just
      wash there face and use PERFUME to just give a good odors but their
      bodies are usually sticky if you visit offices put on fun to keep the
      air cool and fresh. The efforts from the families to tap water is to use
      gutters and water tanks, we got some for our centre in Ahero we got
      containers for use with the water from the bore hole. This water is
      usually treated using water guard to kill germs and purify the water,
      its however quite expensive to buy water today it cost ksh 10 per 20
      liters in kisumu city and an average family use 12 Jerricans of water
      for washing and cooking daily, We can however make everything cheaper by
      paying only ksh7 instead of 10 for 20 liters this we can do by making
      SIMPLE HAND CARTS.

      We have researched and seen this working by asking these questions.

      What is this handcart made of?

      Does it use fuel?

      Is it cost effective?

      The best intervention is to buy 2 to serve the community around the slum
      of nyamasiaria we I stay.

      Material Cost

      1 4 used old car tyres fitted with Rims and Tubes Ksh 5,000

      2 Two metal shafts fitted with bearings to move/drive the tryres ksh 2,000

      3 Angle line metals to make a flitting round to hold jericans 40ft of 5
      lengths ksh 4,000

      4 Timber to make arresting place for Jericans 8x1ft ksh 2,000

      5 Welding cost ksh ksh 1,500

      6 Empty Jericans 12 in no of 20 litters ksh 2,400

      7 Transport of materials from Hardware ksh 1,000

      The Total is Ksh 17,900 Which is the Same as 238 USD.

      We welcome ant idea or method that we can use to get this means of
      transporting water ,we can wakeup and travel kilometers to the source
      this handcarts saves much.

      While we use it in transporting water it will also be an income
      generating activity ,to surport us in each day we pay the drivers
      according to the trips basically 1 ksh per 20 litres then we can save 2
      ksh per 20 litres.

      Any interested person contact.

      tomochuka@...

      +254712929029

      Deafimapct

      Box 3295

      Kisumu.

      Tom is looking to build 2 handcarts. His document gives costs for the
      design in the photo with welded metal frame and car-wheels. Does anyone
      know of a cheaper design?

      Africart

      I found this website about Africart, a cart-design used in Malawi,
      costing $40 to build, and carrying up to 100 Kg. It uses heavy-duty
      bicycle wheels and heavy-duty nylon tyres, and has a wooden body, so
      carpenters can make the carts and change/repair them, without welding.
      http://malawi.mercurypoisoningproject.org/index.html

      On the 'Manufacture' page, if you look on the right of the page, there
      are links to full construction drawings, and photos of people building it.

      http://malawi.mercurypoisoningproject.org/manufacture.html

      There was a link to this newspaper article about it, that says it costs
      only $40 to build and it carries up to 100 Kg. It also says that it's
      hard to find nuts and bolts in rural Malawi, so it uses screws from old
      bicycles.

      http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/14/nyregion/brooklyn-inventor-eases-african-headache-inexpensive-handcart-catches-malawi.html?sec=&spon=&pagewanted=2

      It may be best to save the web-pages to read offline, using File Save
      As.., if they interest you.

      This page has some close up photos...

      http://malawi.mercurypoisoningproject.org/structure.htm

      Please note, some of the photos are of old prototype designs that they
      changed and improved later.

      Ricardo