Re: [holistichelping] Hi Janet!/a short update, and apologies for my absence!

  • connectionsforwellbeing
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2009
      Ohhh, I saw my name there at the end, dear Janet! Yes, I would just love to see you again as well. It was wonderful reading about your life and I gave you a silent but unmistakable "Hurray!" when I read about you taking care of yourself among all your caregiving. I bet there is not one person here who didn't take in a big sigh of relief reading that.

      Janet, I want so much for you to meet a new friend of mine, Andrea, who will be travelling to Kenya within the next couple weeks and who has been staying with me off and on during the past few weeks as she prepares for her move. We were introduced by our good friend Jared Akama Ondieki. We have found a beautiful harmony together both as friends and professionals. We are organizing a nonprofit together. We want to grow slowly into that noting our need for experience however and want to piggyback onto an already established nonprofit until our own wings can guide us surely and effectively. Do you know of one who would have us? Janet, at the risk of saying this prematurely (we are working out a mission statement only now) how I wish we could lighten your load a tad. At any rate, you and Andrea meeting up is a must for both of you. She is here for two more weeks and will likely not be back from her travels for months.

      Love and blessings to all of you!

      Barbara (aka Meadowlea)

      Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 12:34 AM
      Subject: Re: [holistichelping] Hi Janet!/a short update, and apologies for my absence!

      Hello Dear Andrius and All,

      It's great to hear from you, and I have written to the forum often in my
      mind :)). My big apologies for not responding sooner...I realize a week has
      turned into a month, though it doesn't seem that long.

      I so much appreciate the great conversations going on here, and hope to make
      Kerry; Graham-Mark- Joy-Wendi; Sherrie; Benoit; Sam-Dan-William- Tom; Wael;
      Ricardo; Ken Owino; Charles Kilel (from some time ago). And Barbara-Jared,
      Masimba; Dorinda and Concerned Migrants; and Kenyan peace activists, women
      in particular.

      I have been even more involved with caregiving this year than in 2007-2008,
      and it is taking more of a toll on my time and my own health. Since early
      July, I have spent time creating a garden for my father and tending to the
      outside of our home, then my computer screen broke (a "tail of two kitties"
      :)) and I had to send it back to the factory. I have an older one with a
      mind of its own (especially when it comes to shutting down at a moment's
      notice :)), so I used that for 2 weeks--including reading letters to this
      and other forums--but sparingly.

      I have taken on some responsibilities related to the Global Youth Coalition
      on HIV/AIDS (www.youthaidscoali tion.org) , of which I am a co-founder (as an
      adult ally). We are becoming a program of TakingITGlobal (www.tigweb. org)
      and the Global Youth Action Network (www.youthlink. org) --after five years
      of semi-independence- -so it has been a challenging time. I have been invited
      by TIG-GYAN to become an adviser to the GYCA program, and will be focusing
      some attention on fundraising. I have also been trying to help revive a
      Kenyan Diaspora nonprofit, the Kenyan Community Abroad, of which I am an
      officer.

      My father had a fall about two weeks ago, and--while he is basically
      OK--that has involved doctor's visits and extra care. We have had some water
      in our basement, from a too-wet summer, so I have just spent a few days
      there, trying to ensure that everything is dry and undamaged (we store
      papers, books, some furniture, and other things there). And am supervising
      some repairs to the outside too.

      Finally, I have been working on the polishing touches of the "Blogging
      Positively Guide", for Rising Voices (http://rising. globalvoicesonli ne.org)
      which is basically ready to launch now (this will hopefully happen during
      August). Whew!!!!

      I have continued to hear from some folks individually, so I have tried to be
      helpful when I can, but the "wherewithal" to do more has not been there for
      me. Some of the things I'm doing will either ease up or be finished by
      September, and spending time here and at ActALIVE (www.actalive. org) are
      priorities.

      I will, however, be needing to attend to some matters of urgency: all three
      of my computers are in various stages of breakdown--mirrorin g in a way the
      overload in my own life--and that must be addressed so I can be here at all.
      After 12 or so years in the health and development fields--and given my
      fulltime caregiving role--I am finding that taking care of my own health is
      crucial right now.

      I did not anticipate how difficult it would be to be a family caregiver,
      while at the same time doing the work that I do, which also involves
      caregiving. "Holistic helping"--the activity itself and approach to it, not
      the forum, in this case--does involve thinking about and trying to help
      oneself, as much as one thinks about and tries to help others.

      That "balance" has been missing for me during the past two years, when my
      focus has been on others. I now need it to be on myself for awhile, not
      exclusively, but certainly conclusively. I will then hopefully be able to
      swing back to the other side of the equation (helping others), with more
      energy, better health, and the "value-added" to these discussions than I
      feel at this time.

      Andrius, I will try to respond to your "culture"-related letter as soon as
      possible, however, hoping to incorporate what Franz and Pam have been
      addressing, as these discussions and issues are certainly linked.

      In the meantime and always, I am certainly here with all of you in spirit,
      and thank you immensely for thinking of and caring about me. I am sending
      love and blessings to everyone, and please do let me know if another visit
      to the USA/Boston is in your schedule, Andrius, as I would be delighted to
      see you (and Barbara!) again!! Janet

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6, 2009
        Dear Janet, Meadlow and Andrea

        Great to see both of you posting and the encouraging  i wish you all the best, Andrea when you visit Kenya pass by Nakuru and visit REPACTED.

        Kind Regards
        Dennis

        DENNIS KIMAMBO
        +254-722-388-275
        PO BOX 17382 20100
        Kipchoge Keino Avenue
        Nakuru Players Theatre behind Bontana Hotel
        NAKURU KENYA
        EAST AFRICA
        repacted.org

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31, 2009
          Hello Dear Friends Barbara, Jared, and All,

          What a lovely letter, and I believe I have also heard from Jared too, so I will respond to that as well. I'm very sorry this went past me earlier this month, when I was still so much offline (I'm trying to start cycling back more now). I deeply appreciate how loving and supportive you always are, Barbara, and I would love to be of help to you, Andrea, and Jared.

          I see that Andrea is leaving to go to Kenya tomorrow, and that Dennis in Nakuru has responded enthusiastically about wanting to meet her. I would be happy to network for you (Barbara), Andrea, and Jared...in fact, it's something I have wanted to do for some time, so this would be a great opportunity.

          Please tell me more about the nonprofit you want to create, and it would be instructive to see your mission statement too. On piggybacking with an already-established nonprofit, do you mean in Kenya? Or in the USA?  And how does this dovetail with what Jared is doing...are you all working on this together?

          I'd love to meet Andrea sometime, and to see you again...you are welcome anytime, with or without other people!!

          I'll close for now with much love and blessings, and look forward to being in touch, hopefully while Andrea is in Kenya, and way beyond! Thank you again so much for being such an amazing and inspiring spirit and friend! Janet

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2009
            Janet, it is so wonderful to hear from you. I will continue this conversation privately and include our mission statement, etc., but I am so very happy that you have considered hosting Connections For Wellbeing.

            The networking is happening all on its own because of our prayer group that is growing by new members nearly everyday. That is happening all on its' own. We just need an established nonprofit; a legal entity that is willing to host our work so donations coming through it for our projects (including Jared's) will be tax deductable for people and so we can grow. I honestly can't think of an organization I would love more to host us than yours. Please, let's talk soon about making this a deeply mutual beneficial experience!

            With unending gratitude,
            Barbara (and I think I can easily speak for Andrea, Jared and all the rest who will be positively impacted)

            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4385 (20090831) __________

            http://www.eset.com