Re: [holistichelping] Re: [mendenyo] Cheap water transport in kisumu to contain the water SHORTAGE IN THE CITY SLUMS

  • Peter Burgess
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2009
      Dear Colleagues

      I was in the Horn of Africa ... Ethiopia, Somalia, Somaliland,
      Djibouti ... a few years back. In the remote communities the water
      delivery was by donkey and cart ... everyone paid a small amount for
      water delivery. The water was usually in a 55 gallon drum. I don't
      remember how much they paid ... but it was small.

      One enterprising water delivery entrepreneur had a super drum ... he
      had welded together a 55 gallon drum and half a 55 gallon drum so he
      had 50% more water. The donkey could still manage the load at this
      size ... but apparently could not handle two 55 gallon drums.

      Best wishes

      Peter Burgess
      ___________
      Peter Burgess
      Tr-Ac-Net Inc ... The Transparency and Accountability Network
      Community Analytics (CA)
      Integrated Malaria Management (IMM)
      Microfinance Focus Magazine in New York
      website: www.tr-ac-net.org
      tel: 917 432 1191 or 212 772 6918
      email: peterbnyc@...
      skype: peterburgessnyc

      On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Samwel Kongere<jambita1@...> wrote:

      > Tom Ochuka,
      > This is interesting and how much can this cost? How many families and  people from Nyamasaria can this cheap transport of water be sustained? Can some families use at their vegetable farms? How far will you transport the water? How many youths do you think can be involved to undertake this activity from Nyamasaria slums? And do you think it can sustain them? Remember we are focusing on sustaible approaches this year upto 2010 July.
      > Samwel.

    • ricardoolpc
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 30, 2009

        Dear All

        just to make it easier to see all the information together that Tom Ochuka posted about overcoming the shortage and high cost of drinking water in Kisumu, instead of a link to a document, here's  the text from his .doc file and a direct link to his photo of a hancart. At the end, I've added some info about Africart, a cheap design of handcart. Ricardo.

        The photo of the handcart is here (Description : A hand-cart for taking water containers to a water source in Kenya, during the water shortage. Photo by Tom Ochuka, July 2009.)...

        Tom's Document text

        ...and here's the text from Tom's document (called Kisumu http://d.yimg.com/kq/groups/19134504/979695762/name/Kisumu) :-

        Kisumu is a city of more than half a million and is the 3rd largest city in Kenya ,lying 350 kilometers wet of Nairobi Kenya's capital city ,kisumu stretches to te lake Victoria so that when you are in kisumu at the heart of the town you can walk to the lake.

        Lake Victoria is the biggest fresh water lake world over, with the highest catch of Tilapia and Mbuta(Nile perch).

        Lake Victoria Enjoys inland Drainages of Rivers Nyando and another Nyamasaria from Nandi hills in Riftavalley., However this has never gone without  any challenges, Rainfall in kisumu is largely between March- April, with light rains between Aug ┬ľ September, they are called the harvesting rains by the locals.

        With this big or huge water mass Kisumu like any Kenyan cities have the taps dry for  many seasons and especially this time of global change ,we have experience water shortage, this usually result to diseases such us cholera ,dysentery, Typhoid and skin infections, that's the most dangerous side of it while it has positive impact for fisher men and farmers.

        Efforts have been made to have this area get water by the KIWASCO, Kisumu water and sewerage company but all has proved to be futile as the system is old and the population is growing and so most big estates in the city cannot get water, at times men who wear suit to go to work just wash there face and use PERFUME to just give a good odors but their bodies are usually sticky if you visit offices put on fun to keep the air cool and fresh. The efforts from the families to tap water is to use gutters and water tanks, we got some for our centre in Ahero we got containers for use with the water from the bore hole. This water is usually treated using water guard to kill germs and purify the water, its however quite expensive to buy water today it cost ksh 10 per 20 liters in kisumu city and an average family use 12 Jerricans of water for washing and cooking daily, We can however make everything cheaper by paying only ksh7 instead of 10 for 20 liters this we can do by making SIMPLE HAND CARTS.

        We have researched and seen this working by asking these questions.

        What is this handcart made of?

        Does it use fuel?

        Is it cost effective?

        The best intervention is to buy 2 to serve the community around the slum of nyamasiaria we I stay.

        Material          Cost

        1 4 used old car tyres fitted with Rims and Tubes Ksh 5,000

        2 Two metal shafts fitted with bearings to move/drive the tryres  ksh 2,000

        3 Angle line metals to make a flitting round to hold jericans 40ft of 5 lengths ksh 4,000

        4  Timber to make arresting place for Jericans 8x1ft ksh 2,000

        5 Welding cost ksh   ksh 1,500

        6  Empty Jericans  12 in no of 20 litters  ksh 2,400

        7 Transport of materials from Hardware ksh  1,000

        The Total is Ksh 17,900  Which is the Same as 238 USD.

        We welcome ant idea or method that we can use to get this means of transporting water ,we can wakeup and travel kilometers to the source this handcarts saves much.

        While we use it in transporting water it will also be an income generating activity ,to surport us in each day we pay the drivers according to the trips basically 1 ksh per 20 litres then we can save 2 ksh per 20 litres.

        Any interested person contact.

        tomochuka@...

        +254712929029

        Deafimapct

        Box 3295

        Kisumu.

        Tom is looking to build 2 handcarts. His document gives costs for the design in the photo with welded metal frame and car-wheels. Does anyone know of a cheaper design?

        Africart

        I found this website about Africart, a cart-design used in Malawi, costing $40 to build, and carrying up to 100 Kg. It uses heavy-duty bicycle wheels and heavy-duty nylon tyres, and has a wooden body, so carpenters can make the carts and change/repair them, without welding.

        On the 'Manufacture' page, if you look on the right of the page, there are links to full construction drawings, and photos of people building it.

        There was a link to this newspaper article about it, that says it costs only $40 to build and it carries up to 100 Kg. It also says that it's hard to find nuts and bolts in rural Malawi, so it uses screws from old bicycles.

        It may be best to save the web-pages to read offline, using File Save As.., if they interest you.

        This page has some close up photos...

        Please note, some of the photos are of old prototype designs that they changed and improved later.

        Ricardo