Re: [holistichelping] Malaria in Nyanza: how can we as a group address this?/Sustainability conference: update?

  • ronald omondi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9 12:59 PM
      Hello Peter
      Am keen to know how you intend to follow through this process of Community Analytics, you couldnt have said it any better as what actually is meant to come and alleviate suffering of the poor really never gets to this as administrative costs take upto 75% of the total budget.
      About MFI's a closer look reveals that most of them really are out to make huge profits from the poor and not help them ease the suffering that they are undergoing. I have been working closely with an MFI for the catholic Church in Kisumu and what they charge as interest is way up what commercial bamks do charge. If they charge 2%per month this translates to 24% in a year while commercial banks in kenya loan at between 16-18% per year.
      Have you also tried looking at the other option of Village Savings and Loaning amongst people in a community. The economic power might be low and growth would be very slow but i believe that this way communities will be able to develop themselves and keep all the profits to circulate within.
      Indeed what Munro has achieved with Jamii Bora is great and i do hope that it can be replecated all through the country. Muhhamed Yunus proved to us that the poor are  the best loan repayers.
      Keep up the good work and do not think that you will be wasting people time in this atleast those who can volunteer to this on voluntary basis could do a lot for thier communities i being one of them.
      RONALD OTIENO OMONDI
      NYANDO DISTRCIT YOUTH INITIATIVE
      P O BOX 1 AWASI, KISUMU
      KENYA.