Immense Thanks Andrius!/will respond in more depth soon!

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 8, 2009

      Dear Andrius and All,

      Immense thanks for your wonderful response on "cultures", Andrius, and I did not want more time to go by before responding in short form.

      My computer with recent messages is now down and out, but I hope to get that fixed in the next few days, and we finally have a sunny day, so I am working on creating a garden for my father, who loved to do that for years himself. I can relate to Tom Ochuka wanting to build one for a photo business...more on that soon, too (Tom, I do have your proposal, thanks!!).

      I look forward to growing together for many seasons to come, and to linking the beauty of each plant to the harmony of the whole garden!

      With love and blessings to all, Janet

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2009
        Hi Janet, How are you? I'm curious what you're up to! Andrius

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 2009
          Hello Dear Andrius and All,

          It's great to hear from you, and I have written to the forum often in my
          mind :)). My big apologies for not responding sooner...I realize a week has
          turned into a month, though it doesn't seem that long.

          I so much appreciate the great conversations going on here, and hope to make
          Kerry; Graham-Mark-Joy-Wendi; Sherrie; Benoit; Sam-Dan-William-Tom; Wael;
          Ricardo; Ken Owino; Charles Kilel (from some time ago). And Barbara-Jared,
          Masimba; Dorinda and Concerned Migrants; and Kenyan peace activists, women
          in particular.

          I have been even more involved with caregiving this year than in 2007-2008,
          and it is taking more of a toll on my time and my own health. Since early
          July, I have spent time creating a garden for my father and tending to the
          outside of our home, then my computer screen broke (a "tail of two kitties"
          :)) and I had to send it back to the factory. I have an older one with a
          mind of its own (especially when it comes to shutting down at a moment's
          notice :)), so I used that for 2 weeks--including reading letters to this
          and other forums--but sparingly.

          I have taken on some responsibilities related to the Global Youth Coalition
          on HIV/AIDS (www.youthaidscoalition.org), of which I am a co-founder (as an
          adult ally). We are becoming a program of TakingITGlobal (www.tigweb.org)
          and the Global Youth Action Network (www.youthlink.org) --after five years
          of semi-independence--so it has been a challenging time. I have been invited
          by TIG-GYAN to become an adviser to the GYCA program, and will be focusing
          some attention on fundraising. I have also been trying to help revive a
          Kenyan Diaspora nonprofit, the Kenyan Community Abroad, of which I am an
          officer.

          My father had a fall about two weeks ago, and--while he is basically
          OK--that has involved doctor's visits and extra care. We have had some water
          in our basement, from a too-wet summer, so I have just spent a few days
          there, trying to ensure that everything is dry and undamaged (we store
          papers, books, some furniture, and other things there). And am supervising
          some repairs to the outside too.

          Finally, I have been working on the polishing touches of the "Blogging
          Positively Guide", for Rising Voices (http://rising.globalvoicesonline.org)
          which is basically ready to launch now (this will hopefully happen during
          August). Whew!!!!

          I have continued to hear from some folks individually, so I have tried to be
          helpful when I can, but the "wherewithal" to do more has not been there for
          me. Some of the things I'm doing will either ease up or be finished by
          September, and spending time here and at ActALIVE (www.actalive.org) are
          priorities.

          I will, however, be needing to attend to some matters of urgency: all three
          of my computers are in various stages of breakdown--mirroring in a way the
          overload in my own life--and that must be addressed so I can be here at all.
          After 12 or so years in the health and development fields--and given my
          fulltime caregiving role--I am finding that taking care of my own health is
          crucial right now.

          I did not anticipate how difficult it would be to be a family caregiver,
          while at the same time doing the work that I do, which also involves
          caregiving. "Holistic helping"--the activity itself and approach to it, not
          the forum, in this case--does involve thinking about and trying to help
          oneself, as much as one thinks about and tries to help others.

          That "balance" has been missing for me during the past two years, when my
          focus has been on others. I now need it to be on myself for awhile, not
          exclusively, but certainly conclusively. I will then hopefully be able to
          swing back to the other side of the equation (helping others), with more
          energy, better health, and the "value-added" to these discussions than I
          feel at this time.

          Andrius, I will try to respond to your "culture"-related letter as soon as
          possible, however, hoping to incorporate what Franz and Pam have been
          addressing, as these discussions and issues are certainly linked.

          In the meantime and always, I am certainly here with all of you in spirit,
          and thank you immensely for thinking of and caring about me. I am sending
          love and blessings to everyone, and please do let me know if another visit
          to the USA/Boston is in your schedule, Andrius, as I would be delighted to
          see you (and Barbara!) again!! Janet

          > Hi Janet, How are you? I'm curious what you're up to! Andrius
          >

          > Janet Feldman wrote:
          >>
          >> Dear Andrius and All,
          >>
          >> Immense thanks for your wonderful response on "cultures", Andrius, and
          >> I did not want more time to go by before responding in short form.
          >>
          >> My computer with recent messages is now down and out, but I hope to
          >> get that fixed in the next few days, and we finally have a sunny day,
          >> so I am working on creating a garden for my father, who loved to do
          >> that for years himself. I can relate to Tom Ochuka wanting to build
          >> one for a photo business...more on that soon, too (Tom, I do have your
          >> proposal, thanks!!).
          >>
          >> I look forward to growing together for many seasons to come, and to
          >> linking the beauty of each plant to the harmony of the whole garden!
          >>
          >> With love and blessings to all, Janet
          >>

          >> __._,_

          05:58:00
        • connectionsforwellbeing
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5, 2009
            Ohhh, I saw my name there at the end, dear Janet! Yes, I would just love to see you again as well. It was wonderful reading about your life and I gave you a silent but unmistakable "Hurray!" when I read about you taking care of yourself among all your caregiving. I bet there is not one person here who didn't take in a big sigh of relief reading that.

            Janet, I want so much for you to meet a new friend of mine, Andrea, who will be travelling to Kenya within the next couple weeks and who has been staying with me off and on during the past few weeks as she prepares for her move. We were introduced by our good friend Jared Akama Ondieki. We have found a beautiful harmony together both as friends and professionals. We are organizing a nonprofit together. We want to grow slowly into that noting our need for experience however and want to piggyback onto an already established nonprofit until our own wings can guide us surely and effectively. Do you know of one who would have us? Janet, at the risk of saying this prematurely (we are working out a mission statement only now) how I wish we could lighten your load a tad. At any rate, you and Andrea meeting up is a must for both of you. She is here for two more weeks and will likely not be back from her travels for months.

            Love and blessings to all of you!

            Barbara (aka Meadowlea)

            > Hi Janet, How are you? I'm curious what you're up to!
            Andrius

            > Janet Feldman wrote:

            Dear Andrius and All,

            >> Immense thanks for your wonderful
            response on "cultures", Andrius, and
            >> I did not want more time to go
            by before responding in short form.

            >> My computer with
            recent messages is now down and out, but I hope to
            >> get that fixed in
            the next few days, and we finally have a sunny day,
            >> so I am working
            on creating a garden for my father, who loved to do
            >> that for years
            himself. I can relate to Tom Ochuka wanting to build
            >> one for a photo
            business...more on that soon, too (Tom, I do have your
            >> proposal,
            thanks!!).

            >> I look forward to growing together for many
            seasons to come, and to
            >> linking the beauty of each plant to the
            harmony of the whole garden!

            >> With love and blessings to
            all, Janet

            __._,_

            ------------ --------- --------- ------

            href="http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?HolisticHelping">http://www.worknets .org/wiki. cgi?HolisticHelp ing

            Please note our rule: Each letter sent to the Holistic Helping group

            enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN unless it explicitly states otherwise. Thank

            you! http://www.ethicalp ublicdomain. org

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            05:58:00

            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4306 (20090804) __________

            http://www.eset.com
          • Denis Kimambo
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6, 2009
              Dear Janet, Meadlow and Andrea

              Great to see both of you posting and the encouraging  i wish you all the best, Andrea when you visit Kenya pass by Nakuru and visit REPACTED.

              Kind Regards
              Dennis

              DENNIS KIMAMBO
              +254-722-388-275
              PO BOX 17382 20100
              Kipchoge Keino Avenue
              Nakuru Players Theatre behind Bontana Hotel
              NAKURU KENYA
              EAST AFRICA
              repacted.org

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 31, 2009
                Hello Dear Friends Barbara, Jared, and All,

                What a lovely letter, and I believe I have also heard from Jared too, so I will respond to that as well. I'm very sorry this went past me earlier this month, when I was still so much offline (I'm trying to start cycling back more now). I deeply appreciate how loving and supportive you always are, Barbara, and I would love to be of help to you, Andrea, and Jared.

                I see that Andrea is leaving to go to Kenya tomorrow, and that Dennis in Nakuru has responded enthusiastically about wanting to meet her. I would be happy to network for you (Barbara), Andrea, and Jared...in fact, it's something I have wanted to do for some time, so this would be a great opportunity.

                Please tell me more about the nonprofit you want to create, and it would be instructive to see your mission statement too. On piggybacking with an already-established nonprofit, do you mean in Kenya? Or in the USA?  And how does this dovetail with what Jared is doing...are you all working on this together?

                I'd love to meet Andrea sometime, and to see you again...you are welcome anytime, with or without other people!!

                I'll close for now with much love and blessings, and look forward to being in touch, hopefully while Andrea is in Kenya, and way beyond! Thank you again so much for being such an amazing and inspiring spirit and friend! Janet

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 1, 2009
                  Janet, it is so wonderful to hear from you. I will continue this conversation privately and include our mission statement, etc., but I am so very happy that you have considered hosting Connections For Wellbeing.

                  The networking is happening all on its own because of our prayer group that is growing by new members nearly everyday. That is happening all on its' own. We just need an established nonprofit; a legal entity that is willing to host our work so donations coming through it for our projects (including Jared's) will be tax deductable for people and so we can grow. I honestly can't think of an organization I would love more to host us than yours. Please, let's talk soon about making this a deeply mutual beneficial experience!

                  With unending gratitude,
                  Barbara (and I think I can easily speak for Andrea, Jared and all the rest who will be positively impacted)

                  __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4385 (20090831) __________

                  http://www.eset.com