Cultures: Janet Feldman, Vinay Gupta, Fred Kayiwa...

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6, 2009
      I resend with a correction:
      I would certainly benefit if Pamela linked our Mornflake project and
      took some of OUR resources (people, money, projects) for her current
      work such as her and John Dada's business Dadamac or for the Nigerian
      Ago-Are ecovillage.
      Andrius
      ----------------------

      Janet, Graham, Wendi, Tom, Benoit, Sasha and all,

      I'm very encouraged by your letters at Janet Feldman's working group
      Holistic Helping. Thank you!

      Janet, I appreciate your concern throughout this year about our culture
      and subcultures and how we might best work together. I know that you
      are very caring at home and I am glad that you engage us so thoughtfully
      in the time that you do have.

      Thanks to Leon Benjamin and our work for Mornflake cereal
      http://www.mornflake.com I and Minciu Sodas participants have had the
      opportunity in our paid work to engage UK online communities of our
      choice. This is generally and naturally awkward - much like being a
      teenager - but the rewards are great for us and I think for Mornflake
      and other such funders as well. It is the clash of cultures that
      happens as we reach out to others and organize ourselves to do so which
      helps us all to sort out what's truly important for each of us and
      what's not. And then we also build our understanding as to what might be
      universally important, and what is personally important.

      Janet, I agree that we should get people's permission before signing
      them up for an online venue. I didn't sign up you or Wendi or anybody
      else to Global Swadeshi. Nor am I able to. I did check the member
      list, though, and Janet, you are not on it, nor is Graham or Wendi. I
      wrote a post about the problems and I hope Vinay Gupta responds:
      http://www.globalswadeshi.net/forum/topics/global-swadeshi-website

      Janet, Yes, it's important to note the importance of your working group
      Holistic Helping
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/holistichelping/
      for our many productive conversations there including most recently with
      Graham Knight about DIY solar as well as solar energy concentrators as
      Franz Nahrada mentioned. Too often, I take you for granted as well as
      the few others who I can take for granted including Franz or Ricardo.
      I'm glad when you speak up and I can know what you find most helpful and
      relevant.

      Janet, Yes! I'm very glad that Fred Kayiwa might be your online
      assistant, and Dennis Kimambo as well. I sent Fred 200 USD for our
      Mornflake work not so long ago and I think he would agree to do more
      work for me for what I have sent so far. (Although Fred is focused now
      on his youth football team's travel to Norway.) Similarly, I sent 250
      GBP to Dennis Kimambo and he was not able to do much work because of
      poor Internet access. Please let us know what tasks they might help
      with. Sasha can help train them, too, please keep him in the loop. I
      will provide resources for your online assistants, and also for Franz,
      Edward, a bit of help for Markus, and other active leaders, please let
      me know!

      Graham, that's a wonderful contribution that you offer a prize of $100
      in photovoltaic parts for the first location which demonstrates all of
      the steps in a viable solar panel business:
      This is a great example of sharing resources. As I wrote, I also have
      money that I can add from our Mornflake project
      for just such projects if we can involve a UK online community. Vinay
      Gupta in London, UK founded Global Swadeshi
      http://www.globalswadeshi.net which would be great. I can fund solar
      panels for people to try out all over the world. However, it's not
      clear if Vinay or others there are interested. Without their interest,
      I have to find another UK online community that would like to get
      involved in such a project. Or I can certainly keep the money for
      myself, which is what I will do unless we work together and find such a
      community. If it works, then we'll have a great example of us sharing
      resources, including Graham, Janet, Vinay, Mornflake, Global Swadeshi,
      Holistic Helping and many more.

      I'm greatly encouraged by Graham's offer because he's acknowledging the
      challenges in his own dream, inviting our help to overcome them and
      sharing resources. I wish that more of us were creative in this way.
      For example, Pamela McLean is in the UK and introduced me to Vinay Gupta
      in London in March, 2009. I would certainly benefit if Pamela linked
      our Mornflake project and took some of our resources (people, money,
      projects) for her current work such as her and John Dada's business
      Dadamac or for the Nigerian Ago-Are ecovillage. Likewise, if Vinay
      Gupta or Marcin Jakubowski encouraged our work with Graham Knight's
      Do-It-Yourself Solar panels as relevant, in whatever way, for Factor E
      Farm or Leashless ideals. I observe a real poverty in our creativity
      in finding ways to acknowledge each other's projects and work together.
      That poverty is more distressing than any material poverty that I know of.

      Janet, my focus with our Mornflake projects has been on finding UK
      online communities we might engage. I have come to Holistic Helping and
      other groups to invite people and resources for such paid work. That
      energy needs to take place in the UK online communities or I can't
      justify sharing my resources. I do need groups such as Holistic Helping
      which might host my work so that I and others might build momentum for
      such projects. (This is why I've set up so many groups at Minciu
      Sodas.) It's fair that the groups such as Holistic Helping benefit as
      well, and also be included and encourage conversations in tandem, as you
      suggest.

      Janet, yes, I posted your letter at Global Swadeshi as part of a long
      thread which Sasha started at my request on May 13, 2009.
      http://www.globalswadeshi.net/forum/topics/mornflake-project I included
      a link back to your original letter "A reply by Janet Feldman at
      Holistic Helping" http://ms.lt/W4369 which shows my effort to link our
      groups (which is the whole point of our Mornflake projects). If Vinay
      or others had replied to any part of your letter, then I may likely have
      shared that back with you at Holistic Helping, using my best judgement.
      Until then, I didn't want to make extra effort to report to you, and
      such a requirement would be counter to our work in the Public Domain,
      the point of which is that we encourage people to use their best
      judgement and we don't burden them otherwise. The more we learn about
      each other's preference (and your letter helps!), the more our judgement
      improves, too.

      Janet, you write: "From a process point of view, we cannot build a
      culture based on openness, sharing, and development of independent
      thinkers who are also "leaders", if one person alone can determine
      where, when, and how we work together. Consultation, cooperation, and
      joint decision-making are important for a feeling of inclusion, an
      important underpinning to the development of a "culture"."

      Janet, if any part of my letters has jarred you, please let me know
      which and I may understand your response better.

      Can a single person create a culture? In my life, my answer is yes. I
      have exhaustively cared for all aspects of my life and ever care for my
      life's culture, especially, for my thinking within which I live. I take
      credit for my life's culture and, although my parents are great, I
      pretty much created my inner life on my own, the decisions that define
      who I am and what I do. "I am my own parent" as I told them. (Which is
      also why I note and absorb the good examples of others, including my
      parents, Jesus and our participants around the world.) My personal
      culture is evident in Minciu Sodas and it is tangible for many people.
      I hope that it might be the same culture (Worknets) as that of other
      such self-cultured people and even that all people be self-cultured people.

      I provided resources for Wendi's work and I'm bringing resources to
      support possibly more such work. Those new resources are at my complete
      discretion on behalf of Mornflake. As a single person I decide where,
      when and how to apply them because I'm responsible for that. Graham and
      Wendi and you and others have resources and likewise decide. I try to
      give everybody a chance to be included: Do you want to help? or Do you
      want help? But I don't mind not including those who don't help or don't
      want help. If Vinay or Marcin or Pamela or Graham or Wendi or you or
      others want (or choose or can) or not to work together with me, I hope
      to focus on those who do. In the Mornflake project, this outreach is
      very difficult, mostly because it's so unusual. I'm trying to include
      as many people and leverage as many projects as possible, but
      ultimately, I decide myself what to do with the Mornflake resources
      which include some of my own energy that I am thereby able to devote at
      Holistic Helping and encourage Wendi, Graham, Sasha, you and others.

      Janet, I'm writing from my own perspective, as an individual and also an
      organizer. You clearly want an inclusive culture at Holistic Helping.
      In that regard, sometimes I may be an "insider" and sometimes an
      "outsider". In either case, but especially as an outsider, I think that
      in our overall culture it's important that you speak as the leader of
      your group - it's your group and this makes sense or not for you. Then
      it's a matter of two people (you and I) understanding each other. Then
      I can try to acommodate you, which is important to me. I won't try to
      accomodate a "group mind", though, and I don't want to be part of one.
      Instead, I want to understand better and develop further my own personal
      culture and learn what it shares or not with other people's.

      Janet, thank you for your encouragement that we work publicly, as much
      as possible, so that our principles and deeds and observations are
      transparent and we learn from each other and others might include
      themselves.

      Janet, thank you especially for your letters and your thinking. Thank
      you also to Samwel and Benoit. I enjoyed such conversation with Pamela
      and Franz but wish that all could see as when we write. My hope is that
      we have such exchanges with Marcin and Vinay and others. How can we be
      leaders and reveal a shared culture without such exchanges?

      +370 699 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania