Re: DIY Solar projects and "Profit"

  • graham
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2009
      Hi Benoit,

      You were saying that NGOs are not allowed to make a 'profit'.
      I'm saying that I don't expect them to make a 'profit' - unless it is
      permitted.

      You don't surely want them to rely on charity if it is avoidable?

      Graham

      P.S. I'm just trying to start getting them out of  "many people's misery"!

      Graham,

      I do not understand how "money in = money out = NO PROFIT"  gets to be applied in the reality that we live.
      out of the many people's misery.

      .

    • Benoit Couture
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2009
        Yes Graham,

        That's it!  I and they dont want to rely on charity and I sure hope to contribute at alleviating the misery.  From what I understand, NGOs supply services to help the people to help themselves.
        NGOs can play a role in generating some interest and training amongst the people that they serve, but the people must take on the initiative to seek out the activities and the know-how needed to move forward.  That is called free enterprise, which is the driving force of the economy in a society of liberty.
        In that sense, Minciu Sodas contributes at generating much energy and services to initiate various fields of endeavours.
        When it comes to actual product distribution such DIY solar, then we are taking about market emergence.
        At some point, the funds given to an NGO for such a project, need to go from fund distribution to business investment.  I dont think that it can be both, charity and business at the same time.  This is why I was mentioning NETWORK AFFILIATION.  NGOs do play an important part to initiate a project but the long term well being of the people that they serve is in offering opportunities for them, as you do with DIY solar.
        That's why I dont understand how profit can be excluded from the idea since profit distribution is how the NGOs.are alive in the first place, and as you say, they are in existance for a hand up  but not a hand out!
         If we are to invest our time, energy and resources, it is my view that we need to adopt the complete view of a sustainable economic wheel.  Profit is the movement that keeps the wheel's activities going.
        It is up to the each one who makes a living out that wheel to own up to her/his loyalty by remaining inspired, dedicated and honest.

        Benoit