Re: DIY Solar projects and "Profit"

  • graham
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2009
      Dear Benoit,

      You are running well ahead of me!

      Maybe one day NGOs will be organised to have a "profitable" micro pv businesses
      but we are very far from that today.
      It has been done in Kenya (by business people) but that it not my idea here.

      All I'm hoping at this point in time is having a few DIY Solar projects
      that are financially VIABLE.

      In other words having NGOs that do not need charity to keep them going.
      To put it another way; money in = money out = NO PROFIT!

      Graham

      Salut Graham,

      As I read your idea, the question that came up is: Does the liscence of NGO's allow them to go directly into "for-profit business" such as you propose?
      I could see an NGO being formed to train people to go into business, like some micro credit organisations but I dont think that an NGO is allowed to buy and sell at a profit.  I know that it is not allowed in Canada.
      At present, in Minciu Sodas, there is Graham on the supply side of empowerment and there is Fred on the demand side as ground volunteers.  This provides us with a live picture of a need being ripe for it's market's emergence.
      We need to think through on how to go about assembling the structural team that can handle our initial prototype:

      FUNDING-  Earth Treasury knows of NGO's who do micro financing.  Perhaps can we interest them into taking on the part of funding needed until we are ready for financing.

      TRAINING-  The synergy between Graham and Fred need to be supported to co-ordinate the unfolding of the marketing plan, in the balance of demand and supply and in the integrity of our values, among which the value of the person comes first through out the operation.

      FINANCING-   By the time we reach the stage for financing, Mornflake along with people like Mr. Soros and firms like Templeton Foundation might accept to lead the way into the comfort of private financing, instead of  falling prey to the rush for profit of the public financing such as stock markets.
      If that does not work, we should then put ourselves in position to offer a bidding contest to the financial firms and governments that we choose to invite, so as to not prostitute our values.

      PRODUCTION-  Graham and your contacts are the basis for this plan.

      DISTRIBUTION-  This is Graham's start-up field of activity.

      WHAREHOUSING-  We need to determine the best all around location to emerge from, in Uganda.

      PROMOTION - SELLING-  Deciding on the form of publicity that will be used, all the way from the sell people to the media support of their efforts.  In other words, lets be sure that the enrgy of enthusiasm gets to be fuelled by the creativity of each one involved and the companionship of the team members.
      This is why I think that we would be wise to navigate our deployment by starting our promotion-selling activity amongst the groups who thrive in such natural companionship and care for each other.
      I say so, because to my dismay, I was told in the last year, that even though extreme poverty rules, the market of products such as cocaine are still yet emerging along with the empowerment that we are embarking on here with DLY.

      SERVICING-  Thechnical support for each product sold.

      NETWORK AFFILIATION-  From a core association like Mornflake with DLY, we can move in a parralel emergence of several markets of services.  Earth Treasury is certainly set to join such an assembling process.
      This idea of Network Affiliation is to cultivate the release of Talent Discovery as Fred seeks to do with his soccer team and other endeavours.  This is an open door for inspiration and dedication to rise in the song of liberty.
      Were we to be blessed with success, my Prayer is that we remain strickly focused on the emergence that supply the needs, as oppose to getting distracted by wants and lusts that are irrelevant to the economy of the Kingdom of Heaven in our midst.
      (add more as you see fit)

      Who else can join to embody the physical emergence of DLY solar project in Uganda from Graham's location as a starter?   Once grounded and perfected between Graham and Fred, the market will quickly move on to the other African members of Minciu Sodas who are interested to join.

      Dear Lord, I ask for your inspiration and guidance into this possible Value-Network of Your emergence in our midst...amen to Your Yes in us all...

      ...may all blessings be with us all...
      Benoit

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2009
        Hi Benoit,

        You were saying that NGOs are not allowed to make a 'profit'.
        I'm saying that I don't expect them to make a 'profit' - unless it is
        permitted.

        You don't surely want them to rely on charity if it is avoidable?

        Graham

        P.S. I'm just trying to start getting them out of  "many people's misery"!

        Graham,

        I do not understand how "money in = money out = NO PROFIT"  gets to be applied in the reality that we live.
        out of the many people's misery.

        .

      • Benoit Couture
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 6, 2009
          Yes Graham,

          That's it!  I and they dont want to rely on charity and I sure hope to contribute at alleviating the misery.  From what I understand, NGOs supply services to help the people to help themselves.
          NGOs can play a role in generating some interest and training amongst the people that they serve, but the people must take on the initiative to seek out the activities and the know-how needed to move forward.  That is called free enterprise, which is the driving force of the economy in a society of liberty.
          In that sense, Minciu Sodas contributes at generating much energy and services to initiate various fields of endeavours.
          When it comes to actual product distribution such DIY solar, then we are taking about market emergence.
          At some point, the funds given to an NGO for such a project, need to go from fund distribution to business investment.  I dont think that it can be both, charity and business at the same time.  This is why I was mentioning NETWORK AFFILIATION.  NGOs do play an important part to initiate a project but the long term well being of the people that they serve is in offering opportunities for them, as you do with DIY solar.
          That's why I dont understand how profit can be excluded from the idea since profit distribution is how the NGOs.are alive in the first place, and as you say, they are in existance for a hand up  but not a hand out!
           If we are to invest our time, energy and resources, it is my view that we need to adopt the complete view of a sustainable economic wheel.  Profit is the movement that keeps the wheel's activities going.
          It is up to the each one who makes a living out that wheel to own up to her/his loyalty by remaining inspired, dedicated and honest.

          Benoit