Initial Funding for DIY Solar projects

  • Graham Knight
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2009
      Dear All,

      Andrius has suggested using funds from the Mornflake project to initiate some DIY Solar projects.
      I welcome that and will do my best to supply what is requested.

      I would, personally, like to add 'to the pot' with another idea.
      As you may be aware, I'm concerned about the lack of good communication that often occurs after a free sample pack
      has been sent (on request) to NGOs.

      There are any number of reasons why projects of all sorts fail but proper communication is often the main problem.

      So I'm offering $100 of solar pv parts to the first entry where we have managed, between us, to produce an outline of a viable solar pv project!
      By that I mean where the NGO has devised a way of buying/making/selling pv devices (battery chargers, radios, etc)
      that can be sold locally to produce enough income to make a self-sustaining project. I will explain more about this when requested.

      Apart from the usual solar conversion of existing radios, lamps and mobile phones there are two other possibilities that can apply
      in some localities; charging car batteries and converting shop products.

      1. Where car lead-acid batteries are taken into a town for charging an alternative is to solar charge them at home.

      2. I'm told that there is an increasing range of imported lamps powered by dry cells on sale in many towns.
      Some are easy to solar-convert, some not.
      Send photos and I will say which ones are a possibilty.

      If the above is of interest I will send more information when the person chosen to run your projects replies.

      Graham

      P.S. I am also interested in supporting projects for improving stoves.
      Let me know if you are in contact with anyone who might be interested. Peter Ongele is already involved in one project.