Re: DIY Solar Project with Wendi, Global Swadeshi, Mornflake

  • Sasha
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5 9:13 AM
      Hi all, I just saw this news thanks to Joy Tang of OVF
      I think this would suit excellent for an internet center in Nigeria, or in other parts of africa.
      http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-solarnetone/
      Its about a sloar powered system which runs debian linux on a server with up to 50 thin clients.
      There is already one such system deployed in Nigeria.
      Sounds excellent., the only prohibitive thing is the price 15000$ US
      Although this is not much if you know that you have an autonomous internet center which will work for 20 years.

      Sasha
    • ACTWID KONGADZEM
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5 11:18 AM
        Dear Andrius, Janet, Graham, and all
        Thanks for all the postings that you have sent out concerning the DIY Solar. Yes, Andrius, we will like to join this project and see how it goes.
         Janet thanks for sharing all you have said. We too have just gone to the site as you did and tried to sign in as Andrius advised but we could not as we continously had messages that our email was already signed in to the Global Swadeshi and we donot know the password too neithe do we also know who has already signed us in  too that we cannot sign in ourselves.
        Sincerely Wendi and members of AK.

        From: "Andrius Kulikauskas" <ms@...>
        To: <globalvillages@ yahoogroups. com>; "help group"
        <holistichelping@ yahoogroups. com>; <voiceful@yahoogroup s.com>;
        <socialagriculture@ yahoogroups. com>; <mendenyo@yahoogroup s.com>
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6 7:44 AM
          Janet, Graham, Wendi, Tom, Benoit, Sasha and all,

          I'm very encouraged by your letters at Janet Feldman's working group
          Holistic Helping. Thank you!

          Janet, I appreciate your concern throughout this year about our culture
          and subcultures and how we might best work together. I know that you
          are very caring at home and I am glad that you engage us so thoughtfully
          in the time that you do have.

          Thanks to Leon Benjamin and our work for Mornflake cereal
          http://www.mornflake.com I and Minciu Sodas participants have had the
          opportunity in our paid work to engage UK online communities of our
          choice. This is generally and naturally awkward - much like being a
          teenager - but the rewards are great for us and I think for Mornflake
          and other such funders as well. It is the clash of cultures that
          happens as we reach out to others and organize ourselves to do so which
          helps us all to sort out what's truly important for each of us and
          what's not. And then we also build our understanding as to what might be
          universally important, and what is personally important.

          Janet, I agree that we should get people's permission before signing
          them up for an online venue. I didn't sign up you or Wendi or anybody
          else to Global Swadeshi. Nor am I able to. I did check the member
          list, though, and Janet, you are not on it, nor is Graham or Wendi. I
          wrote a post about the problems and I hope Vinay Gupta responds:
          http://www.globalswadeshi.net/forum/topics/global-swadeshi-website

          Janet, Yes, it's important to note the importance of your working group
          Holistic Helping
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/holistichelping/
          for our many productive conversations there including most recently with
          Graham Knight about DIY solar as well as solar energy concentrators as
          Franz Nahrada mentioned. Too often, I take you for granted as well as
          the few others who I can take for granted including Franz or Ricardo.
          I'm glad when you speak up and I can know what you find most helpful and
          relevant.

          Janet, Yes! I'm very glad that Fred Kayiwa might be your online
          assistant, and Dennis Kimambo as well. I sent Fred 200 USD for our
          Mornflake work not so long ago and I think he would agree to do more
          work for me for what I have sent so far. (Although Fred is focused now
          on his youth football team's travel to Norway.) Similarly, I sent 250
          GBP to Dennis Kimambo and he was not able to do much work because of
          poor Internet access. Please let us know what tasks they might help
          with. Sasha can help train them, too, please keep him in the loop. I
          will provide resources for your online assistants, and also for Franz,
          Edward, a bit of help for Markus, and other active leaders, please let
          me know!

          Graham, that's a wonderful contribution that you offer a prize of $100
          in photovoltaic parts for the first location which demonstrates all of
          the steps in a viable solar panel business:
          This is a great example of sharing resources. As I wrote, I also have
          money that I can add from our Mornflake project
          for just such projects if we can involve a UK online community. Vinay
          Gupta in London, UK founded Global Swadeshi
          http://www.globalswadeshi.net which would be great. I can fund solar
          panels for people to try out all over the world. However, it's not
          clear if Vinay or others there are interested. Without their interest,
          I have to find another UK online community that would like to get
          involved in such a project. Or I can certainly keep the money for
          myself, which is what I will do unless we work together and find such a
          community. If it works, then we'll have a great example of us sharing
          resources, including Graham, Janet, Vinay, Mornflake, Global Swadeshi,
          Holistic Helping and many more.

          I'm greatly encouraged by Graham's offer because he's acknowledging the
          challenges in his own dream, inviting our help to overcome them and
          sharing resources. I wish that more of us were creative in this way.
          For example, Pamela McLean is in the UK and introduced me to Vinay Gupta
          in London in March, 2009. I would certainly benefit if Pamela linked
          our Mornflake project and took some of her resources (people, money,
          projects) for her current work such as her and John Dada's business
          Dadamac or for the Nigerian Ago-Are ecovillage. Likewise, if Vinay
          Gupta or Marcin Jakubowski encouraged our work with Graham Knight's
          Do-It-Yourself Solar panels as relevant, in whatever way, for Factor E
          Farm or Leashless ideals. I observe a real poverty in our creativity
          in finding ways to acknowledge each other's projects and work together.
          That poverty is more distressing than any material poverty that I know of.

          Janet, my focus with our Mornflake projects has been on finding UK
          online communities we might engage. I have come to Holistic Helping and
          other groups to invite people and resources for such paid work. That
          energy needs to take place in the UK online communities or I can't
          justify sharing my resources. I do need groups such as Holistic Helping
          which might host my work so that I and others might build momentum for
          such projects. (This is why I've set up so many groups at Minciu
          Sodas.) It's fair that the groups such as Holistic Helping benefit as
          well, and also be included and encourage conversations in tandem, as you
          suggest.

          Janet, yes, I posted your letter at Global Swadeshi as part of a long
          thread which Sasha started at my request on May 13, 2009.
          http://www.globalswadeshi.net/forum/topics/mornflake-project I included
          a link back to your original letter "A reply by Janet Feldman at
          Holistic Helping" http://ms.lt/W4369 which shows my effort to link our
          groups (which is the whole point of our Mornflake projects). If Vinay
          or others had replied to any part of your letter, then I may likely have
          shared that back with you at Holistic Helping, using my best judgement.
          Until then, I didn't want to make extra effort to report to you, and
          such a requirement would be counter to our work in the Public Domain,
          the point of which is that we encourage people to use their best
          judgement and we don't burden them otherwise. The more we learn about
          each other's preference (and your letter helps!), the more our judgement
          improves, too.

          Janet, you write: "From a process point of view, we cannot build a
          culture based on openness, sharing, and development of independent
          thinkers who are also "leaders", if one person alone can determine
          where, when, and how we work together. Consultation, cooperation, and
          joint decision-making are important for a feeling of inclusion, an
          important underpinning to the development of a "culture"."

          Janet, if any part of my letters has jarred you, please let me know
          which and I may understand your response better.

          Can a single person create a culture? In my life, my answer is yes. I
          have exhaustively cared for all aspects of my life and ever care for my
          life's culture, especially, for my thinking within which I live. I take
          credit for my life's culture and, although my parents are great, I
          pretty much created my inner life on my own, the decisions that define
          who I am and what I do. "I am my own parent" as I told them. (Which is
          also why I note and absorb the good examples of others, including my
          parents, Jesus and our participants around the world.) My personal
          culture is evident in Minciu Sodas and it is tangible for many people.
          I hope that it might be the same culture (Worknets) as that of other
          such self-cultured people and even that all people be self-cultured
          people.

          I provided resources for Wendi's work and I'm bringing resources to
          support possibly more such work. Those new resources are at my complete
          discretion on behalf of Mornflake. As a single person I decide where,
          when and how to apply them because I'm responsible for that. Graham and
          Wendi and you and others have resources and likewise decide. I try to
          give everybody a chance to be included: Do you want to help? or Do you
          want help? But I don't mind not including those who don't help or don't
          want help. If Vinay or Marcin or Pamela or Graham or Wendi or you or
          others want (or choose or can) or not to work together with me, I hope
          to focus on those who do. In the Mornflake project, this outreach is
          very difficult, mostly because it's so unusual. I'm trying to include
          as many people and leverage as many projects as possible, but
          ultimately, I decide myself what to do with the Mornflake resources
          which include some of my own energy that I am thereby able to devote at
          Holistic Helping and encourage Wendi, Graham, Sasha, you and others.

          Janet, I'm writing from my own perspective, as an individual and also an
          organizer. You clearly want an inclusive culture at Holistic Helping.
          In that regard, sometimes I may be an "insider" and sometimes an
          "outsider". In either case, but especially as an outsider, I think that
          in our overall culture it's important that you speak as the leader of
          your group - it's your group and this makes sense or not for you. Then
          it's a matter of two people (you and I) understanding each other. Then
          I can try to acommodate you, which is important to me. I won't try to
          accomodate a "group mind", though, and I don't want to be part of one.
          Instead, I want to understand better and develop further my own personal
          culture and learn what it shares or not with other people's.

          Janet, thank you for your encouragement that we work publicly, as much
          as possible, so that our principles and deeds and observations are
          transparent and we learn from each other and others might include
          themselves.

          Janet, thank you especially for your letters and your thinking. Thank
          you also to Samwel and Benoit. I enjoyed such conversation with Pamela
          and Franz but wish that all could see as when we write. My hope is that
          we have such exchanges with Marcin and Vinay and others. How can we be
          leaders and reveal a shared culture without such exchanges?

          +370 699 30003
          Vilnius, Lithuania

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6 7:59 AM
            I resend with a correction:
            I would certainly benefit if Pamela linked our Mornflake project and
            took some of OUR resources (people, money, projects) for her current

[...]

            our Mornflake project and took some of our resources (people, money,