Re: [holistichelping] DIY Solar Project/Global Swadeshi/relevance to development of our culture/Fred K.

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2009
      Dear Andrius, Wendi and Graham, Fred, and All,

      The ideas for this project are interesting, and I hope it does come to
      fruition!

      I am concerned about some of the way this project is evolving, in particular
      the implications for the development of our culture--as well as our
      sub-cultures--and want to share those concerns:

      1) I have been signed up to Global Swadeshi without my knowledge, so that
      when I went there the other day to register, I was told I couldn't use my
      email address, because it was already in use! I do not know the current
      password, as I did not create it myself. I have taken steps to reset it so
      that I can participate. To this moment I have not received an email related
      to resetting my password, however, and I have sent two requests over the
      past 24 hours.

      I will be delighted to be a member of this exciting network! However, I
      would like to have been directly invited to participate (by Andrius, in this
      case), and then to sign up there myself. This is an essential element both
      of self-determination and of control of one's own life and information. It
      should surely be established among us as an important principle. How have I
      been signed up, and by whom?

      2) I see a letter of mine posted there, in which I give support to a joint
      project we might do, and also some ideas about a way to proceed and some
      outcomes that might develop (a manual, for example). I wrote that in the
      context of Holistic Helping and our other forums, not for an entirely
      different setting.

      While it's fine that it was posted at Global Swadeshi, I would like to have
      known it was there, first of all, and secondly, that the original context of
      the conversation be understood to apply to my own forum and members, as well
      as those in other MS forums.

      I want this conversation and work to happen at HH in tandem with
      conversations and work at Global Swadeshi, and at our other forums. It would
      be great--in addition to a number of us participating at Global Swadeshi--if
      Global Swadeshi members would sign up for HH and our other forums, so that
      we might all participate in a DIY Solar project together. I realize there is
      cross-over already, with Vinay and others.

      I want to ensure that this project does not shift away from our forums
      (though it's fine to work in tandem with others!): it is important that we
      receive full information of what is happening abt the project, participate
      in linked and interwoven discussions, and are generally included in a
      central way in any activities.

      Especially given the fact that I am a full-time caregiver, and also have
      other organizations to run, it would be wonderful if--speaking of HH
      specifically--there are others who can carry a good deal of this
      conversation there, and work on behalf of Holistic Helping (and our other
      related forums). And to engage with a larger group of others (at Global
      Swadeshi and elsewhere) for optimum results for this project.

      That also applies to other members in such situations: how can each of us
      be engaged here, yet at the same time address our other responsibilities?
      And how can an overall "culture" be created and developed, while
      "sub-cultures" are also supported and built?

      3) Since discussions about DIY have been taking place at HH, albeit with not
      as much public posting as would have been conducive to mutual learning, I
      would appreciate being included in postings, thoughts, and plans about this
      project (I mean myself by name, as well as postings to the HH forum).

      From a process point of view, we cannot build a culture based on openness,
      sharing, and development of independent thinkers who are also "leaders", if
      one person alone can determine where, when, and how we work together.
      Consultation, cooperation, and joint decision-making are important for a
      feeling of inclusion, an important underpinning to the development of a
      "culture".

      4) If some of our members have problems accessing a relatively "simple"
      venue like a Yahoogroups, how much more will be the challenges of accessing
      a website and needing to post in threads? And how can more cross-over of
      information and participation be developed between our forums and Worknets?
      I see so much helpful information at Worknets that is not making its way
      into our forums, for example.

      5) Despite the stated goal of "public" sharing and visibility, there are
      some members who do not engage here publicly in an ongoing way, yet they
      benefit by association with us. Generally people are told that if they want
      us to be engaged and caring, they have to be more visible. But this is not
      applied to everyone in the same way.

      If members are not working publicly in some fashion, however rudimentary,
      they are not contributing to the development of our "culture". This does not
      mean that they are not valuable or important, as everyone is as an
      individual. But it does mean that, as a larger whole, we are not benefitting
      from what they can give and share.

      There can and should be a place for "private" conversations, friendships,
      and individual activities both within and outside of our working groups, and
      of course people have times of greater or lesser ability to be involved
      here. But in order for there to be a feeling and fact of "culture" among us,
      there does also need to be a sense of "fairness" fostered--both perceived
      and real--and of standards evenly applied. "Winning by sharing" should
      become our motto!

      On a personal note:

      6) I would appreciate it if Fred Kayiwa--who Andrius had suggested this past
      spring could be my assistant--might now become that assistant. I don't know
      what money arrangement can be made: Fred mistakenly thought that I was
      going to pay him to do so (which he and I discovered in a recent
      conversation), but I did not offer to do that, as I do not have the funds.

      Since Fred has been mentioned both in Ricardo's recent letter about eBay
      trading, and in the context of DIY Solar, he would be a "perfect" bridge
      person, both as regards communicating to Holistic Helping and the other MS
      forums--including his own--and at Global Swadeshi about these projects, and
      in terms of helping to build a greater sense of inclusion and integration in
      our mutual work, laying some of the foundation for construction of a
      "culture", in feeling and in fact.

      I would also like to work with Dennis, who is a longtime friend, someone who
      came to this setting from ActALIVE (my arts coalition).

      Thanks and blessings to all, Janet

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2009
        Hi all, I just saw this news thanks to Joy Tang of OVF
        I think this would suit excellent for an internet center in Nigeria, or in other parts of africa.
        http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-solarnetone/
        Its about a sloar powered system which runs debian linux on a server with up to 50 thin clients.
        There is already one such system deployed in Nigeria.
        Sounds excellent., the only prohibitive thing is the price 15000$ US
        Although this is not much if you know that you have an autonomous internet center which will work for 20 years.

        Sasha
      • ACTWID KONGADZEM
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2009
          Dear Andrius, Janet, Graham, and all
          Thanks for all the postings that you have sent out concerning the DIY Solar. Yes, Andrius, we will like to join this project and see how it goes.
           Janet thanks for sharing all you have said. We too have just gone to the site as you did and tried to sign in as Andrius advised but we could not as we continously had messages that our email was already signed in to the Global Swadeshi and we donot know the password too neithe do we also know who has already signed us in  too that we cannot sign in ourselves.
          Sincerely Wendi and members of AK.

> [...]
          > Worknets wiki. The purpose of this project is to work together with
          > others at Global Swadeshi and get to know them and their projects. We
          > will also learn about the opportunities, challenges and abilities of
          > different entrepreneurs in different parts of the world. This will be a
          > lot achieved for a small amount of money.
          >
          > Wendi, Fred, William, Dennis, Samwel, would you like to participate?
          > Who else?
          >
          > Graham, Does this make sense? What do you think?
          >
          > Andrius
          >
          > Andrius Kulikauskas
          > Minciu Sodas
          > http://www.ms. lt
          > ms@...
          > +370 699 30003
          > Vilnius, Lithuania
          >
          > graham wrote:
          >> Hi Andrius,
          >>
          >> I read through the Gupta website but am puzzled as to what you plan to

          11:37:00

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2009
            Janet, Graham, Wendi, Tom, Benoit, Sasha and all,

            I'm very encouraged by your letters at Janet Feldman's working group
            Holistic Helping. Thank you!

            Janet, I appreciate your concern throughout this year about our culture
            and subcultures and how we might best work together. I know that you
            are very caring at home and I am glad that you engage us so thoughtfully
            in the time that you do have.

            Thanks to Leon Benjamin and our work for Mornflake cereal
            http://www.mornflake.com I and Minciu Sodas participants have had the
            opportunity in our paid work to engage UK online communities of our
            choice. This is generally and naturally awkward - much like being a
            teenager - but the rewards are great for us and I think for Mornflake
            and other such funders as well. It is the clash of cultures that
            happens as we reach out to others and organize ourselves to do so which
            helps us all to sort out what's truly important for each of us and
            what's not. And then we also build our understanding as to what might be
            universally important, and what is personally important.

            Janet, I agree that we should get people's permission before signing
            them up for an online venue. I didn't sign up you or Wendi or anybody
            else to Global Swadeshi. Nor am I able to. I did check the member
            list, though, and Janet, you are not on it, nor is Graham or Wendi. I
            wrote a post about the problems and I hope Vinay Gupta responds:
            http://www.globalswadeshi.net/forum/topics/global-swadeshi-website

            Janet, Yes, it's important to note the importance of your working group
            Holistic Helping
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/holistichelping/
            for our many productive conversations there including most recently with
            Graham Knight about DIY solar as well as solar energy concentrators as
            Franz Nahrada mentioned. Too often, I take you for granted as well as
            the few others who I can take for granted including Franz or Ricardo.
            I'm glad when you speak up and I can know what you find most helpful and
            relevant.

            Janet, Yes! I'm very glad that Fred Kayiwa might be your online
            assistant, and Dennis Kimambo as well. I sent Fred 200 USD for our
            Mornflake work not so long ago and I think he would agree to do more
            work for me for what I have sent so far. (Although Fred is focused now
            on his youth football team's travel to Norway.) Similarly, I sent 250
            GBP to Dennis Kimambo and he was not able to do much work because of
            poor Internet access. Please let us know what tasks they might help
            with. Sasha can help train them, too, please keep him in the loop. I
            will provide resources for your online assistants, and also for Franz,
            Edward, a bit of help for Markus, and other active leaders, please let
            me know!

            Graham, that's a wonderful contribution that you offer a prize of $100
            in photovoltaic parts for the first location which demonstrates all of
            the steps in a viable solar panel business:
            This is a great example of sharing resources. As I wrote, I also have
            money that I can add from our Mornflake project
            for just such projects if we can involve a UK online community. Vinay
            Gupta in London, UK founded Global Swadeshi
            http://www.globalswadeshi.net which would be great. I can fund solar
            panels for people to try out all over the world. However, it's not
            clear if Vinay or others there are interested. Without their interest,
            I have to find another UK online community that would like to get
            involved in such a project. Or I can certainly keep the money for
            myself, which is what I will do unless we work together and find such a
            community. If it works, then we'll have a great example of us sharing
            resources, including Graham, Janet, Vinay, Mornflake, Global Swadeshi,
            Holistic Helping and many more.

            I'm greatly encouraged by Graham's offer because he's acknowledging the
            challenges in his own dream, inviting our help to overcome them and
            sharing resources. I wish that more of us were creative in this way.
            For example, Pamela McLean is in the UK and introduced me to Vinay Gupta
            in London in March, 2009. I would certainly benefit if Pamela linked
            our Mornflake project and took some of her resources (people, money,
            projects) for her current work such as her and John Dada's business
            Dadamac or for the Nigerian Ago-Are ecovillage. Likewise, if Vinay
            Gupta or Marcin Jakubowski encouraged our work with Graham Knight's
            Do-It-Yourself Solar panels as relevant, in whatever way, for Factor E
            Farm or Leashless ideals. I observe a real poverty in our creativity
            in finding ways to acknowledge each other's projects and work together.
            That poverty is more distressing than any material poverty that I know of.

            Janet, my focus with our Mornflake projects has been on finding UK
            online communities we might engage. I have come to Holistic Helping and
            other groups to invite people and resources for such paid work. That
            energy needs to take place in the UK online communities or I can't
            justify sharing my resources. I do need groups such as Holistic Helping
            which might host my work so that I and others might build momentum for
            such projects. (This is why I've set up so many groups at Minciu
            Sodas.) It's fair that the groups such as Holistic Helping benefit as
            well, and also be included and encourage conversations in tandem, as you
            suggest.

            Janet, yes, I posted your letter at Global Swadeshi as part of a long
            thread which Sasha started at my request on May 13, 2009.
            http://www.globalswadeshi.net/forum/topics/mornflake-project I included
            a link back to your original letter "A reply by Janet Feldman at
            Holistic Helping" http://ms.lt/W4369 which shows my effort to link our
            groups (which is the whole point of our Mornflake projects). If Vinay
            or others had replied to any part of your letter, then I may likely have
            shared that back with you at Holistic Helping, using my best judgement.
            Until then, I didn't want to make extra effort to report to you, and
            such a requirement would be counter to our work in the Public Domain,
            the point of which is that we encourage people to use their best
            judgement and we don't burden them otherwise. The more we learn about
            each other's preference (and your letter helps!), the more our judgement
            improves, too.

            Janet, you write: "From a process point of view, we cannot build a
            culture based on openness, sharing, and development of independent
            thinkers who are also "leaders", if one person alone can determine
            where, when, and how we work together. Consultation, cooperation, and
            joint decision-making are important for a feeling of inclusion, an
            important underpinning to the development of a "culture"."

            Janet, if any part of my letters has jarred you, please let me know
            which and I may understand your response better.

            Can a single person create a culture? In my life, my answer is yes. I
            have exhaustively cared for all aspects of my life and ever care for my
            life's culture, especially, for my thinking within which I live. I take
            credit for my life's culture and, although my parents are great, I
            pretty much created my inner life on my own, the decisions that define
            who I am and what I do. "I am my own parent" as I told them. (Which is
            also why I note and absorb the good examples of others, including my
            parents, Jesus and our participants around the world.) My personal
            culture is evident in Minciu Sodas and it is tangible for many people.
            I hope that it might be the same culture (Worknets) as that of other
            such self-cultured people and even that all people be self-cultured
            people.

            I provided resources for Wendi's work and I'm bringing resources to
            support possibly more such work. Those new resources are at my complete
            discretion on behalf of Mornflake. As a single person I decide where,
            when and how to apply them because I'm responsible for that. Graham and
            Wendi and you and others have resources and likewise decide. I try to
            give everybody a chance to be included: Do you want to help? or Do you
            want help? But I don't mind not including those who don't help or don't
            want help. If Vinay or Marcin or Pamela or Graham or Wendi or you or
            others want (or choose or can) or not to work together with me, I hope
            to focus on those who do. In the Mornflake project, this outreach is
            very difficult, mostly because it's so unusual. I'm trying to include
            as many people and leverage as many projects as possible, but
            ultimately, I decide myself what to do with the Mornflake resources
            which include some of my own energy that I am thereby able to devote at
            Holistic Helping and encourage Wendi, Graham, Sasha, you and others.

            Janet, I'm writing from my own perspective, as an individual and also an
            organizer. You clearly want an inclusive culture at Holistic Helping.
            In that regard, sometimes I may be an "insider" and sometimes an
            "outsider". In either case, but especially as an outsider, I think that
            in our overall culture it's important that you speak as the leader of
            your group - it's your group and this makes sense or not for you. Then
            it's a matter of two people (you and I) understanding each other. Then
            I can try to acommodate you, which is important to me. I won't try to
            accomodate a "group mind", though, and I don't want to be part of one.
            Instead, I want to understand better and develop further my own personal
            culture and learn what it shares or not with other people's.

            Janet, thank you for your encouragement that we work publicly, as much
            as possible, so that our principles and deeds and observations are
            transparent and we learn from each other and others might include
            themselves.

            Janet, thank you especially for your letters and your thinking. Thank
            you also to Samwel and Benoit. I enjoyed such conversation with Pamela
            and Franz but wish that all could see as when we write. My hope is that
            we have such exchanges with Marcin and Vinay and others. How can we be
            leaders and reveal a shared culture without such exchanges?

            +370 699 30003
            Vilnius, Lithuania

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6, 2009
              I resend with a correction:
              I would certainly benefit if Pamela linked our Mornflake project and
              took some of OUR resources (people, money, projects) for her current

[...]

              our Mornflake project and took some of our resources (people, money,