Mornflake Projects to link Vinay - Graham - Wendi - Samwel - Marcin ?

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2009
      Tomorrow I hope to overview the many small projects by which we're helping
      UK online communities thanks to Mornflake cereal http://www.mornflake.com
      and their online video contest http://www.mornflakecompetition.com which
      is underway.

      I suggest one "electricity" project that would show how our communities
      might work closer together thanks to Mornflake's support. And this kind
      of project might lead to more support in the future from other sponsors.

      I'm thinking in terms of an economy of dreams. We have different pieces
      of the puzzle that might fit together. I will infer some of our dreams,
      and look forward to interviewing us regarding them, but it would be great
      if we might write them ourselves in our letters and posts and we might
      organize them at our Worknets wiki pages.

      Graham Knight dreams (I think) of people in Africa providing for
      themselves and developing their regions by selling useful, simple and
      inexpensive technology such as the DIY Solar for recharging mobile phone
      batteries. There are social challenges, why won't people start such
      businesses?

      Marcin Jakubowski dreams (I think) of villagers being independent of
      mass-scale industry and being able to build their own tools and energy
      sources for creating everything they need to live and thrive. There are
      technological challenges and so much to do!

      Vinay Gupta dreams (I'm guessing) of resilient solutions by which
      everybody can address their basic needs. There are mindset and heartset
      challenges.

      Wendi Loshe Bernadette dreams (I'm guessing) of women being free to shape
      their own destiny. There are social challenges and poverty.

      Samwel Kongere dreams of a rural life that is attractive and gainful so
      that people don't migrate to the city to look for work. He has land and
      would like to develop his home as a center for alternative technology.
      There are challenges of time, commitments, knowledge and resources.

      Franz Nahrada dreams of global villages that are centered around
      knowledge, mastering it locally and sharing it globally. There are
      challenges of scale, of inspiring people and of showing real progress.

      I myself dream of a knowledge of all things that informs a culture that
      encourages people to dedicate themselves to their dreams, and especially,
      to apply their creativity. I have challenges of how do we all make a
      living? and how do we learn to care to include each other and help each
      other?

      I note two projects that might further our dreams because they address key
      obstacles.

      1) We've spent a year trying out Graham Knight's DIY Solar for recharging
      mobile phone batteries and it seems like a very practical technology. Our
      African participants haven't demonstrated the aptitude for selling these
      solar panels as a business. I suggest that we practice setting up such
      businesses so that we can develop and share business skills. These skills
      are essential if we're going to do larger projects together.

      2) We need to be able to generate electricity in rural Africa, for
      example, to supply ICT centres but also power all manner of machines.
      There is a shortage of solutions, but especially, solutions that don't
      depend on sophisticated engines that must be purchased and brought in from
      afar. Marcin Jakubowski is developing a solution that can make us
      technology producers instead of technology consumers. He is exploring how
      solar power can heat water to create steam, and steam can then run an
      engine that can produce electricity. He is showing that much of this
      equipment we can build or adapt ourselves.

      If we develop our business skills with 1), then we can invest in each
      other and develop our technology skills with 2). Because some small
      investment will be needed. But its pointless to invest if we don't care
      to develop our business skills.

      A major challenge that we have is that we're not skilled at sharing our
      opportunities and resources. I'm trying to show that the work that Minciu
      Sodas is doing to promote Mornflake and their online video contest, is an
      opportunity for us to work together. Mornflake benefits if we open
      channels between our projects and our communities, because if they are our
      friend, then we might share their messages, too. This makes sense for a
      lot of companies and we might find a lot of resources if we are skilled at
      working together and reaching out to others.

      It would be great if Vinay might meet with Graham, learn of his
      technology, embrace that and encourage that in his work with Africans as a
      sound first step in working together. I appreciate Graham's persistence
      and I believe that the obstacles he notes show that we need to think
      broader and learn more about people's situations, that even though they
      may be surrounded by hardship, but that doesn't necessarily motivate them
      to have business skills. (It is strange to see entrepreneurship as
      commonplace in some parts of the world like India, but not in Lithuania or
      perhaps Kenya.) I believe that if we value the importance of DIY Solar
      for learning business skills, then we can make the investments of time and
      resources to work together. But such an investment has much more value
      for me if Vinay, Marcin, Franz and others appreciate that and consider
      that an important dimension of their dreams so that I can show to others
      that indeed they are relevant to each other. Appropriate technology must
      go hand-in-hand with appropriate behavior.

      With Vinay's (and Marcin's and Franz's and Graham's) encouragement (at
      Global Swadeshi and other online venues) I can encourage (and fund, thanks
      to Mornflake) such small projects. They can include helping our African
      partcipants develop business skills through DIY Solar, and taking first
      steps to explore Marcin's electricity solutions.

      I conclude with an observation from our Mornflake work. I have sent a lot
      of money to Samwel Kongere, Dennis Kimambo, Fred Kayiwa, Josephat
      Ndiablema and William Wambura to help as online assistants. They simply
      weren't able to help very much because their Internet access is to slow
      and unreliable to participate at the forums. Sasha Mrkailo in Serbia,
      Masimba Biriwasha in Paris, Thomas Chepaitis in Lithuania, Jeremy Mason in
      Missouri were able to do the work because they have broadband access.
      It's not very effective for me to pay somebody in the West $20 per hour
      for such work. Yet often they can be very helpful with just a few hours.
      And my interest is always to build our assets with our resources, so I'm
      interested that we have as strong of an internal economy as possible. My
      conclusion is that it's very good for us all each time we can trade a
      US/WesternEurope person's time as an online expert and an African's time
      in on-the-ground projects. And I believe that even small on-the-ground
      projects in Africa or elsewhere can add great value to the reality and
      attractiveness of Marcin's, Vinay's, Franz's vast projects. So I
      therefore also ask for our teamwork because that can justify me sending
      more resources to Africa.

      Can we find ways to work more closely together? (I think we have this last
      month and I thank Mornflake and Leon Benjamin
      http://www.winningbysharing.net)

      +370 699 30003
      Dukiskes, Lithuania