RESPONSE FROM OUR DIY SOLAR BATTERY RESEARCH WITH 100USD FUNDING FROM ANDRIUS

  • ACTWID KONGADZEM
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 18, 2009
    • 1 Attachment
    • 465 KB
    Dear Graham, Andrius, Janet and all,
    Thank you all very much for your postings which we all found very useful.
    Our Organization had taken over three months to research on the DIY Solar baterries to charge phones and also make good use of some other solar products here since our electricity connections are very poor and our many villages here are not yet connected to any electric power at all.
    So far for all this time of our research, we have found that the sample you sent to us was very good and that if we understood its uses well we will be able to use it as a training tool for our village members to educate them on what it is and how it can be used.
    We will like to share with you as Janet has said that after we received the 100 USD from Andrius, we organised a symposium in our city on the eve of the Independence day celebrations of May 20th that we celebrate yearly as our national day here. This was a torch light procession where all the participants needed to use light to walk around the towns and villages and as usual, we had electricity failure here for three days, so we took this opportunity to teach all the thousands and hundreds of people what the DIY SOLAR was and we were opportuned to show the samples as you will see our own technicians in the group handling the samples you gave on the photos pasted or attached here.
    As we created awearness all over our towns and villages about this solar battery, all inhabitants enter our office daily to see this sample and are also asking us to tell them where and how we can get more of these solar batteries to use here. We now were taking our time to see what to come out with knowing very well that this introduction of the solar products will need finances more finances to transport us round the towns and villages to show members as well as train them on how it works.
    We were finding it difficult to just start explaining what we had here concerning this samples you gave us first without consulting you to hear your own opinion. Another doubt we had was whether Graham could expand the introduction of the DIY solar products by giving more samples if we now have to carry out a broad sensitization of the products in our entire communities. We were not sure of the availability of more products since we donot have us any capital now to buy and stock more of these products after we must have had enough training too on the usage. .
    Also going detailly into the research we found out that in the future although at long term, it can be possible for us to use these solar products in our homes in a bigger scale to even light but our homes with solar. We tried to share this idea only with Graham alone but from his response to us, we suspected or guessed that he was not pleased with our going too far to already talk about too much or too big when we had not known much or had much education on the products nor funds.
    From the same money 100USD which was equivalent to about 48000francs cfa in our local currency at that time of the exchange,we did more activities in the research and the expenditure was more than the amount you gave us because we organized small seminars and workshops where we had to first meet technicians with knowledge or skills about solar power usage here who started educating us. Then there after, we had to make publicity here in the local radio and arranged movements to eight villages around whose roads are not good now as we are in the rainy season and transportation costs are doubled due to bad muddy roads. Five leaders made it to these villages with the help of three technicians as you will find in the photo. There were more photos but scanning is too expensive If you still need a detailed report of our expenditure,we will give it to you. We added our own contributions to it in order to completely research as far as we wanted but still had
    more to do as all our activitis involved movements which now had transportations costs everywhere we went and lunches after gathering and educating more women, youths and men generally in distant villages to talk about the uses of solar batteries and show the samples.
    So we are saying here that we did much on the research and will continue to share with you all if you find it interesting to you.
    Immense thanks from all of us and bye for now
    Sincerely ACTWID members led by Wendi
  • Franz Nahrada
    Message 2 of 4 , Jun 19, 2009
      holistichelping@yahoogroups.com writes:
      >Also going detailly into the research we found out that in the future
      >although at long term, it can be possible for us to use these solar
      >products in our homes in a bigger scale to even light but our homes with
      >solar. We tried to share this idea only with Graham alone but from his
      >response to us, we suspected or guessed that he was not pleased with our
      >going too far to already talk about too much or too big when we had not
      >known much or had much education on the products nor funds.

      Wendi,

      great that you did something to raise awareness with the tiny solar world
      assembled by Graham on the base of affordable mini - photovoltaics, and
      great that you are looking into new possibilities to expand the potential
      of solar energy.

      Graham is basically right that things need to be studied first. We would
      never any more like to repeat our old mistakes.

      You know that Marcin Jakubowski from Factor E Farm is the worlds leading
      force when it comes to realistic empowerment of villages.

      We are currently trying to turn his venture, Open Source Ecology from a
      single place-based to a multi-location global cooperation.

      Photovoltaics still is a technology which requires large factories for the
      base materials and there is no hope yet that the production can be totally
      transferred to regions or villages. Its still useful, but we mustz also
      look into alternatives.

      In the opposite, passive solar concentrators - like Marcin envisions them
      - with self-adjusting flat mirrors that heat a tube with water that
      propels a turbine / steam engine seem to have the perspective to be
      entirely reproduced anywhere in the world, and the computer boards to do
      the tracking are not larger in scale than the photovoltaics that you have
      now. For example from Arduino.

      This technology is just developing, and we want to find some places which
      are set up and prepared to do research.

      I do not know if you have any technical school in Bamenda or in the next
      larger town - and even if so, if they were willing to cooperate.

      But I just inform you about possibilities to consider. Its not something
      that you can deal with in a small group, but a region that is set up to
      cooperate with the world at large on autonomous and empowering
      technologies might be big enough to solve the problem - and small enough
      to be workeable.

      It would be great if you also tried to look into transition movement and
      think what it could mean to overcome fuel dependencies in the town of
      Bamends. Maybe a 10 years plan could be the goal.

      Please look at Rob Hopkins Transition Handbook. It might also be very
      relevant for Africa!

      http://www.appropedia.org/TTH:_Introduction

      -----

      also I found this group:

      http://internationalpeaceandconflict.ning.com/group/newhopeforafrica

      I think we should put them in touch with Minciu Sodas activities and
      methodologies, this is rather a question to Janet.

      Franz
    • Franz Nahrada
      Message 3 of 4 , Jun 19, 2009
        Wendi,

        this is a very good technical introduction to the field mentioned in my
        last post. You should read this, its not too difficult for a non-techie to
        learn:

        http://www.appropedia.org/Understanding_Solar_Concentrators

        all the best

        Franz
      • Pamela McLean
        Message 4 of 4 , Jun 19, 2009
          Hi Franz
          Ref :
          ~~~~~~~~~
          You know that Marcin Jakubowski from Factor E Farm is the worlds leading
          force when it comes to realistic empowerment of villages.

          We are currently trying to turn his venture, Open Source Ecology from a
          single place-based to a multi-location global cooperation. (snip)

          This technology is just developing, and we want to find some places which
          are set up and prepared to do research.
          Dadamac is very interested in trying things out at Attachab Eco-village in North Central NIgeria and then sharing information more widely on anything which works well for Attachab.(For more information, including great pictures, about Attachab see -  http://cicelyinnigeria.blogspot.com/2008/12/dreams-will-come-true.html, )

          What would we need to do/bring to be included in this research?

          Pam
          UK-Africa Connections
          Dadamac