Re: Mark Roest encourages social business ventures with Renewables West

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 11, 2009
      Hi Meredith! I share your reply with Mark Roest. Andrius

    • Mark Roest
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 14, 2009
        Hello Meredith and All,

        Jon is the inventor of the Kyoto products; if you provide the product questions you have, he may be able to assist you (please copy me, too! I'd like to know both questions and answers). I would like to know who is interested in selling his products, and in going together with others to aggregate full container orders (almost everything he makes ships flat).

        Jon mentioned that the Butterfly only works well in full direct sun, not on cloudy days. One of the services Renewables West could provide is helping you choose what electricity-making products to buy or build (or sell) in a given climate. Jon also sells hot water systems, which would conserve on electricity (we use natural gas in California, but is appears that much of the world heats water with electricity). A kilowatt saved is a kilowatt earned!

        I don't know what the production release dates are for those products that are not being manufactured yet. My question is in preparation for doing business plans, and finding a way to move forward. Jon's brochure says he provides financing, as well as the carbon credits that make his product line really affordable.

        Regards,

        Mark Roest
        MarkLRoest@...

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 17, 2009
          Mark,

          I share your reply with Meredith ( clonearmy@... ).

          I also blogged parts of your letters at
          http://www.includer.org/?p=711
          "The Includer: Episode 46: Never Expect Power At-All".

          Yes, it would be great to have a list of recommendations on the best
          available solutions around the world.

          Mark Roest wrote:
          > Hello Meredith and All,
          >
          > Jon is the inventor of the Kyoto products; if you provide the product
          > questions you have, he may be able to assist you (please copy me, too!
          > I'd like to know both questions and answers). I would like to know who
          > is interested in selling his products, and in going together with
          > others to aggregate full container orders (almost everything he makes
          > ships flat).
          >
          > Jon mentioned that the Butterfly only works well in full direct sun,
          > not on cloudy days. One of the services Renewables West could provide
          > is helping you choose what electricity-making products to buy or build
          > (or sell) in a given climate. Jon also sells hot water systems, which
          > would conserve on electricity (we use natural gas in California, but
          > is appears that much of the world heats water with electricity). A
          > kilowatt saved is a kilowatt earned!
          >
          > I don't know what the production release dates are for those products
          > that are not being manufactured yet. My question is in preparation for
          > doing business plans, and finding a way to move forward. Jon's
          > brochure says he provides financing, as well as the carbon credits
          > that make his product line really affordable.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Mark Roest
          > MarkLRoest@... <mailto:MarkLRoest@...>

          The Includer is a device for reading and writing emails offline. At some
          point, you’ll want to upload and download them at an Internet access
          point. But what if you don’t have one? Or maybe you have access to the
          Internet through your mobile phone, but you don’t have enough
          electricity to power a laptop or computer?
          Renewables West sells Solar Rover

          Renewables West sells Solar Rover

          This month Pamela McLean (of Episode 31) dedicated her First Thursday
          Chat to helping Folabi Sunday in rural Nigeria (of Episode 40) think
          through how to power a local ICT centre. Her invitation explained:

          You may remember that Fola uses his phone to go online. He has been
          doing some successful experiments linking his phone to a PC. He is
          wondering about the possibility of helping the Information Centre at
          Ago-Are to use this approach in order to bring email facilities to
          Ago-Are. I think various people in Minciu Sodas in East Africa have been
          exploring similar ideas, linking in with Ricardo’s sneakernet ideas. I
          hope Pastor David, manager of the Info-Centre, will also manage to be
          with Fola when he joins us (Fola may be a bit late as he has is teaching
          earlier in the day, but he will make it as soon as he can). Either they
          will have to run a generator (and the Info centre one is very old and
          unreliable now) or they will need to find some other solution.

          A flavor of the chat:

          Ricardo: Pam and Fola, have you both read through the 2nd version of the
          plan? I suggested using a laptop for internet access, as it’s battery
          powered, and not dependent on NEPA. I set out a range of options for
          power. :: Also, a GPRS/3G phone for internet access runs on battery
          power, or you can use a USB 3G Modem, powered from the laptop battery
          when NEPA goes off. … Fola, what do you think the best options are for
          power? In the 2nd version, i mentioned that a laptop battery could be
          charged a little from many different sources, to keep it 100% topped up.
          … Yes sasha, for the Ago-Are ICT centre, they could use an old laptop
          from ebay, plus a new battery. :: Sasha, I emailed a whole plan to fola
          and pam, but you haven’t seen it yet. …. The centre can charge a laptop
          battery a little from NEPA when it’s on, from a 12V DC car cigarette
          lighter, or buy a small solar charger, like solargorilla. … Hi Graham.
          In Nigeria, NEPA, the 240V mains power is terrible. It comes on, then
          straight off for 7 days, on for an hour etc. Solar would be very good,
          if the community can afford the capital cost of the solar charger. ::
          I’ve seen commercial laptop solar chargers like the solargorilla, but
          they are 137 GBP. Is it possible to make a solar charger system for
          laptops (aboout 18V DC at 3.5 AMPs i think). … Fola, the ago-are centre
          will presumably want to keep the cost of equipment down. We could start
          with experiments on internet-access, using your phone for the day and
          one of the existing PCs :: but the PC needs 240V power from somewhere. …
          We need to think about the short-term and long-term power for the
          centre. Although in the short-term, you could use a solar laptop
          charger, that would still leave the rest of the equipment (PCs, TV,
          Satellite receiver etc) without a good power supply. :: Fola, In a
          typical month, is NEPA on for enough hours to charge some car batteries,
          to use for the PCs etc when NEPA is off.

          Folabi Sunday: I think using a laptop will solve NEPA problem for us in
          AA … And replacing the old battery with new ones will be better than
          waitng for nepa … This is a good idea but how do we solve NEPA … I took
          the small gen from my younger sister to use personally … There is an old
          lister gen that is usually developing faults and it use diesel which is
          costly than petrol :: I have done that in my own room and not in the
          centre … And it works perfectly except that my Megabite runs off faster
          than on mobile and I have to print out R tips on how to reduce spent
          date and digest them because they seem thecnical to me …

          Graham Knight: I’m puzzled as no-one seems to ever mention
          solar-charging for mobiles. …
          Kyoto Butterfly Solar Generator yields 800 W, hot air, hot water.

          Kyoto Butterfly Solar Generator yields 800 W, hot air, hot water.

          I did some research into electric generators. I couldn’t find anything
          at Appropedia, surprisingly. (Later, I had the chance to give my
          feedback to Preston at Global Swadeshi). I wonder what Edward Cherlin of
          Earth Treasury would recommend. And then a few days later we got a
          letter from Mark Roest about his new venture:

          Mark Roest: Last Sunday I spent several hours at the Maker Fair (see
          Make Magazine’s website) … Jon is the head of Kyoto, Free is the Sun. I
[...]
          and sell globally. That is probably the vehicle we will use to work with
          Jon.

          Meredith Patterson: Sometime in the next month or two I will be going to
          Ghent to take a workshop from Casa Calida, which teaches people how to
          construct low-cost timber-and-strawbale homes. I suspect they will be
          quite interested in practical solutions for solar electricity and heat,
          and I’m interested in finding out more about the Butterfly for my own
          house project.

          Mark Roest: Jon mentioned that the Butterfly only works well in full
          direct sun, not on cloudy days. One of the services Renewables West
          could provide is helping you choose what electricity-making products to
          buy or build (or sell) in a given climate.

          That sounds like a good service!