Re: [holistichelping] Malaria in Nyanza: how can we as a group address this?/Sustainability conference: update?

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
      Dear Peter,

      Hello and thanks so much for this thoughtful response. It is indeed
      frustrating that the combination of factors you mention cannot unite to
      create better health outcomes as concerns malaria. Can you think of anything
      we can do, by which I mean members here?

      I would be interested to know more abt Jamii Bora is doing. Can you fill us
      in, or direct us to more info?

      With all best wishes and appreciation, Janet

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
        Dear Janet ... others

        Google Jamii Bora Kenya and you will find a lot of material.

        Chris Macrae has pulled together some thoughts about Jamii Bora and
        Ingrid Munro at this URL ... http://www.jamiibora.net/

        Chris has met Dr. Muhammad Yunus several times since 2007 and Ingrid
        Munro more than once this year. I joined Chris at some of these
        meetings in New York.

        Both Dr. Yunus and Ingrid Munro are serious about social value and
        bottom of the pyramid (BoP).

        I am developing a system of Community Analytics (CA) that I am hoping
        will help to separate out the exploitation in poor communities from
        the support for poor communities. My experience in the field over a
        good number of years showed me how little of development resource
        ended up doing community level value creation ... while local
        initiatives like the Jamii Bora micro-up local initiatives in Kenya
        (starting originally in urban slums) seem to be creating really
        positive local progress.

        I am applying CA to health and malaria as well as the microfinance /
        micro-enterprise sector. Again the cost analysis suggests that
        community level upgrading of the health infrastructure will have a
        huge impact on health ... but this is not the way the donors, the
        major health institutions like CDC and WHO, most of the NGOs, and the
        beneficiary governments want to work.

        Frankly ... the cost logic is pretty convincing for a community focus
        improvement to the health infrastructure. Sadly the value chain
        analysis of the prevailing system suggests that most decision makers
        are better off with the status quo.

        I would like to answer your question about what people in Kenya could
        do that would be useful as follows ... "Become community organizers
        and help to get key CA data for some pilot communities ... including
        health data" ... but I am not quite ready and I do not want to waste
        people's time. I am also aware that there has to be funding to do
        serious work, and again, in this matter I am not ready yet either.

        Maybe a step towards the goals of (1) community data and (2) getting a
        development fund organized would be to get a simple "sign on" list
        that simply has community name ... people name and people contact
        (email).

        This list would help substantiate that CA does have some contact
        strength on the ground and this will eventually help with Goal 2.

        I am rebuilding the Tr-Ac-Net database interface to suit the CA data
        architecture and this will help me get to Goal 1 ... which also feeds
        into Goal 2.

        Some colleagues are working on a development fund for SME support ...
        an initiative to help successful small business get to become
        successful medium business. In due course I may need to identify MFIs
        that know about fast growing SMEs that need financing for expansion.
        But that is another project!

        Sincerely

        Peter
        ____________
        Peter Burgess
        Tr-Ac-Net Inc ... The Transparency and Accountability Network
        Community Analytics (CA)
        Integrated Malaria Management (IMM)
        Microfinance Focus Magazine in New York
        website: www.tr-ac-net.org