Re: [holistichelping] Malaria in Nyanza: how can we as a group address this?/Sustainability conference: update?

  • Peter Burgess
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
      Dear Colleagues

      Jeffrey Sachs has had a lot to say about malaria ... and malaria is on
      the agenda of his Millennium Villages Project. I will give him credit
      for making the appalling situation around malaria in Africa better
      known in the developed countries ... together with others like Bono,
      Ray Chambers, etc.. These efforts have increased global spending on
      malaria from about $100 million a year in 2000 to over $2 billion in
      2008 but where has all the money gone?

      My gripe is that this spending has been large but not very effective
      ... all the usual institutions have been funded to do projects and the
      results on the ground are little ... and as I understand it, the
      approach is unsustainable. When you look at how the money is being
      spent you start to understand why progress is so little. The dataflows
      about costs and results are almost totally absent or inaccessible.
      Bednets are a part of a solution ... but only part. There needs to be
      coordinated malaria diagnosis and treatment together with
      comprehensive vector control (... source control ... IRS ... bednets,
      etc.)

      I would argue that further integrating multiple health programs ...
      AIDS, TB, Malaria, Pneumonia, Diarrhea, Reproductive health, Maternity
      care, etc. ... all together in a community focus effort ... steps can
      be made to reduce cost and improve outcomes substantially. I am
      working towards this end!

      It is not too late to improve the fundflow situation ... but it is
      terribly sad that millions will die before the health care situation
      is under good management control!

      Peter
      __________
      Peter Burgess
      Tr-Ac-Net Inc ... The Transparency and Accountability Network
      Community Analytics (CA)
      Integrated Malaria Management (IMM)
      Microfinance Focus Magazine in New York
      website: www.tr-ac-net.org
      tel: 917 432 1191 or 212 772 6918
      email: peterbnyc@...
      skype: peterburgessnyc

      On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Benoit Couture<benoitctr@...> wrote:

      > Salut everyone,
      >
      > Jeffrey Sacks is an economist who might be interested to help regarding
      > malaria and bed nets, as he has made it one of his priorities.  Perhaps that
      > one of Minciu Sodas' best reputed networker could generate his interest to
      > work with Samwel, Tom and all who could use the support.  Read about him at:
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Sachs
      > If you google his mane along with malaria and bed nets, you will more info.
      >
      > Benoit

    • Peter Burgess
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
        Dear Janet ... Colleagues

        Malaria ... health ... is in a parlous state around the world. The
        science is great ... the use of this science is appalling.

        More and more money doing rather little is not a good solution ...
        rather upgrading the results from a good fund flow should be a
        priority. There is some good news (1) a growing number of medical
        professionals in Africa are calling for change and (2) a growing
        community of expatriates also recognize that what is going on is too
        costly, ineffective and unsustainable.

        In the USA, the idea of socialized medicine is scorned by almost
        everyone ... yet it is socialized medicine that ODA funds and African
        governments are encouraged to provide. Surprise, surprise ... the
        money runs out and health care is inadequate.

        The private sector enterprise economy and philanthropy and/or social
        business sector should be much more in play ... but to my knowledge,
        their work is not well documented. I understand Jamii Bora (Ingrid
        Munro) in Kenya has made progress in this area that is remarkable ...
        but it is small relative to the natinal need

        There is good science. There are good people. There are funds. Why do
        they not come together to get good health care outcomes for everyone?

        With regards

        Peter Burgess
        ____________

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
          Dear Peter,

          Hello and thanks so much for this thoughtful response. It is indeed
          frustrating that the combination of factors you mention cannot unite to
          create better health outcomes as concerns malaria. Can you think of anything
          we can do, by which I mean members here?

          I would be interested to know more abt Jamii Bora is doing. Can you fill us
          in, or direct us to more info?

          With all best wishes and appreciation, Janet

> [...]

          > thing. Hezekiah has surely had experience in these matters too, so his
          > feedback would be helpful.
          >
          > On a somewhat related matter--in terms of sustainable solutions--how is
          > the
          > conference coming along?
          >
          > Your mention of the photography business is also along the same lines, and
          > it's great you are thinking in this direction. I wonder if you could find
          > someone local to go into business with you, ie someone to help set you up?
          > Is Ricardo teaching you what you will need to know about taking the pix,
          > or
          > do you know much of that already? If you're not sure about being able to
          > take professional pix, you might want to look for a professional
          > photographer, as that person may have an incentive to want a business too.
          >
          > With blessings always, and continual care sent your way in spirit! Janet

          17:55:00
        • Peter Burgess
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
            Dear Janet ... others

            Google Jamii Bora Kenya and you will find a lot of material.

            Chris Macrae has pulled together some thoughts about Jamii Bora and
            Ingrid Munro at this URL ... http://www.jamiibora.net/

            Chris has met Dr. Muhammad Yunus several times since 2007 and Ingrid
            Munro more than once this year. I joined Chris at some of these
            meetings in New York.

            Both Dr. Yunus and Ingrid Munro are serious about social value and
            bottom of the pyramid (BoP).

            I am developing a system of Community Analytics (CA) that I am hoping
            will help to separate out the exploitation in poor communities from
            the support for poor communities. My experience in the field over a
            good number of years showed me how little of development resource
            ended up doing community level value creation ... while local
            initiatives like the Jamii Bora micro-up local initiatives in Kenya
            (starting originally in urban slums) seem to be creating really
            positive local progress.

            I am applying CA to health and malaria as well as the microfinance /
            micro-enterprise sector. Again the cost analysis suggests that
            community level upgrading of the health infrastructure will have a
            huge impact on health ... but this is not the way the donors, the
            major health institutions like CDC and WHO, most of the NGOs, and the
            beneficiary governments want to work.

            Frankly ... the cost logic is pretty convincing for a community focus
            improvement to the health infrastructure. Sadly the value chain
            analysis of the prevailing system suggests that most decision makers
            are better off with the status quo.

            I would like to answer your question about what people in Kenya could
            do that would be useful as follows ... "Become community organizers
            and help to get key CA data for some pilot communities ... including
            health data" ... but I am not quite ready and I do not want to waste
            people's time. I am also aware that there has to be funding to do
            serious work, and again, in this matter I am not ready yet either.

            Maybe a step towards the goals of (1) community data and (2) getting a
            development fund organized would be to get a simple "sign on" list
            that simply has community name ... people name and people contact
            (email).

            This list would help substantiate that CA does have some contact
            strength on the ground and this will eventually help with Goal 2.

            I am rebuilding the Tr-Ac-Net database interface to suit the CA data
            architecture and this will help me get to Goal 1 ... which also feeds
            into Goal 2.

            Some colleagues are working on a development fund for SME support ...
            an initiative to help successful small business get to become
            successful medium business. In due course I may need to identify MFIs
            that know about fast growing SMEs that need financing for expansion.
            But that is another project!

            Sincerely

            Peter
            ____________
            Peter Burgess
            Tr-Ac-Net Inc ... The Transparency and Accountability Network
            Community Analytics (CA)
            Integrated Malaria Management (IMM)
            Microfinance Focus Magazine in New York
            website: www.tr-ac-net.org