Re: [holistichelping] Malaria in Nyanza: how can we as a group address this?/Sustainability conference: update?

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
      Hello Dear Tom and All,

      Great to hear from you, but so sorry about the malaria! Our best healing
      wishes are being sent your way, and we hope for a speedy recovery from here
      on out. Immense thanks to Ricardo for helping out! Ricardo, did you post
      your ideas in the forums? If not, I'd appreciate you doing so now, as they
      should be helpful to our brainstorming and any approaches or solutions we
      might formulate.

      Malaria is such a problem everywhere in Kenya, and I'm sure in many other
      places. How can you (Tom) and we get some regular and sustained help to that
      area (meds, nets, et al)? The issue is beyond the means of individuals or
      even us as a group to address fully, but we can certainly work in concert
      with agencies and other groups/orgs to magnify our help to the point where
      it might be more effective for greater numbers of people.

      Hopefully you can use your budding ICTs-related capabilities to do some
      research and outreach in this regard, once you recoup a bit. Do you have
      regular or only intermittent access to the Internet, and what will the
      Sneakernet project do (or what can it do) in this regard, if anything? I/we
      would like to hear more about how that might be applicable.

      Sam, Peter, and many of our members have also been discussing the same
      thing. Hezekiah has surely had experience in these matters too, so his
      feedback would be helpful.

      On a somewhat related matter--in terms of sustainable solutions--how is the
      conference coming along?

      Your mention of the photography business is also along the same lines, and
      it's great you are thinking in this direction. I wonder if you could find
      someone local to go into business with you, ie someone to help set you up?
      Is Ricardo teaching you what you will need to know about taking the pix, or
      do you know much of that already? If you're not sure about being able to
      take professional pix, you might want to look for a professional
      photographer, as that person may have an incentive to want a business too.

      With blessings always, and continual care sent your way in spirit! Janet

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
        Salut everyone,

        Jeffrey Sacks is an economist who might be interested to help regarding malaria and bed nets, as he has made it one of his priorities.  Perhaps that one of Minciu Sodas' best reputed networker could generate his interest to work with Samwel, Tom and all who could use the support.  Read about him at:
        If you google his mane along with malaria and bed nets, you will more info.

        Benoit

        > I have been so much pressed with malaria that have assisted others to
        > fight ,and have been taking madications, there is aproblem in kenya over
        > malaria treatement,it has affected abigger number of families,ithought it
        > would not be expensive but have costed me alot,and still will have to
        > treat it.Am still visiting the doctor and cant go far.
        > Am encouraging the nets but still its not easy,there should be other means
        > too.Thanks ricardo for ideas and surport for medications and malaria tests
        > The children too in Ahero are complainning of fever and weaknesses.
        > Before Malaria attack have been Developing Picture site and is willing to
        > work with those who sahr the same vision ,thanks to Ricardo for ideas i
        > will have to fence this place to make it private to the users but public
        > in acaces.
        > This is bringing doiffrent backgrounds to it and nice looking flowers
        > ,that are natural,I WOULD LIKE TO KEEPINTOUCH WITH THOSE INTERESTED OR
        > LINKS TO ORGS WITH ASIMILAR VISION.
        >
        > Thanks.
        > TOM OCHUKA.

        17:53:00

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
          Hello Dear Benoit and All,

          Great to see you posting, and immense thanks for this info!! I do "know" Jeff Sachs in a way, as we have corresponded (a few years ago now), and I helped to arrange his virtual visit (keynote address) at a nutrition and HIV/AIDS conference at that time.  Not sure if he would remember me, but I could write to him and see what happens.

          He does have "roots" in Kenya, in a village in rural West Kenya, called Sauni, I believe. There his org is working on issues of sustainability at the village level, trying to see what best ensures sustainable development at the grassroots, in a holistic and integrative way (addressing everything from sanitation to nutrition to health to income-generation). I'm sure malaria has been a big issue there, so it makes sense that he would be trying to address it!

          If I write soon I will alert him to the conference...perhaps he could even attend, and even better--share his knowledge--which would be marvelous!

          How is everything with you, Benoit? I hope "sustainable" too!

          With love and greatest appreciation, Janet
          Jeffrey Sacks is an economist who might be interested to help regarding malaria and bed nets, as he has made it one of his priorities.  Perhaps that one of Minciu Sodas' best reputed networker could generate his interest to work with Samwel, Tom and all who could use the support.  Read about him at:
          If you google his mane along with malaria and bed nets, you will more info.

          Benoit

          > I have been so much pressed with malaria that have assisted others to
          > fight ,and have been taking madications, there is aproblem in kenya over
          > malaria treatement,it has affected abigger number of families,ithought it
          > would not be expensive but have costed me alot,and still will have to
          > treat it.Am still visiting the doctor and cant go far.
          > Am encouraging the nets but still its not easy,there should be other means
          > too.Thanks ricardo for ideas and surport for medications and malaria tests
          > The children too in Ahero are complainning of fever and weaknesses.
          > Before Malaria attack have been Developing Picture site and is willing to
          > work with those who sahr the same vision ,thanks to Ricardo for ideas i
          > will have to fence this place to make it private to the users but public
          > in acaces.
          > This is bringing doiffrent backgrounds to it and nice looking flowers
          > ,that are natural,I WOULD LIKE TO KEEPINTOUCH WITH THOSE INTERESTED OR
          > LINKS TO ORGS WITH ASIMILAR VISION.
          >
          > Thanks.
          > TOM OCHUKA.

          17:53:00

        • Peter Burgess
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
            Dear Colleagues

            Jeffrey Sachs has had a lot to say about malaria ... and malaria is on
            the agenda of his Millennium Villages Project. I will give him credit
            for making the appalling situation around malaria in Africa better
            known in the developed countries ... together with others like Bono,
            Ray Chambers, etc.. These efforts have increased global spending on
            malaria from about $100 million a year in 2000 to over $2 billion in
            2008 but where has all the money gone?

            My gripe is that this spending has been large but not very effective
            ... all the usual institutions have been funded to do projects and the
            results on the ground are little ... and as I understand it, the
            approach is unsustainable. When you look at how the money is being
            spent you start to understand why progress is so little. The dataflows
            about costs and results are almost totally absent or inaccessible.
            Bednets are a part of a solution ... but only part. There needs to be
            coordinated malaria diagnosis and treatment together with
            comprehensive vector control (... source control ... IRS ... bednets,
            etc.)

            I would argue that further integrating multiple health programs ...
            AIDS, TB, Malaria, Pneumonia, Diarrhea, Reproductive health, Maternity
            care, etc. ... all together in a community focus effort ... steps can
            be made to reduce cost and improve outcomes substantially. I am
            working towards this end!

            It is not too late to improve the fundflow situation ... but it is
            terribly sad that millions will die before the health care situation
            is under good management control!

            Peter
            __________
            Peter Burgess
            Tr-Ac-Net Inc ... The Transparency and Accountability Network
            Community Analytics (CA)
            Integrated Malaria Management (IMM)
            Microfinance Focus Magazine in New York
            website: www.tr-ac-net.org
            tel: 917 432 1191 or 212 772 6918
            email: peterbnyc@...
            skype: peterburgessnyc

            On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Benoit Couture<benoitctr@...> wrote:

            > Salut everyone,
            >
            > Jeffrey Sacks is an economist who might be interested to help regarding
            > malaria and bed nets, as he has made it one of his priorities.  Perhaps that
            > one of Minciu Sodas' best reputed networker could generate his interest to
            > work with Samwel, Tom and all who could use the support.  Read about him at:
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Sachs
            > If you google his mane along with malaria and bed nets, you will more info.
            >
            > Benoit

          • Peter Burgess
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
              Dear Janet ... Colleagues

              Malaria ... health ... is in a parlous state around the world. The
              science is great ... the use of this science is appalling.

              More and more money doing rather little is not a good solution ...
              rather upgrading the results from a good fund flow should be a
              priority. There is some good news (1) a growing number of medical
              professionals in Africa are calling for change and (2) a growing
              community of expatriates also recognize that what is going on is too
              costly, ineffective and unsustainable.

              In the USA, the idea of socialized medicine is scorned by almost
              everyone ... yet it is socialized medicine that ODA funds and African
              governments are encouraged to provide. Surprise, surprise ... the
              money runs out and health care is inadequate.

              The private sector enterprise economy and philanthropy and/or social
              business sector should be much more in play ... but to my knowledge,
              their work is not well documented. I understand Jamii Bora (Ingrid
              Munro) in Kenya has made progress in this area that is remarkable ...
              but it is small relative to the natinal need

              There is good science. There are good people. There are funds. Why do
              they not come together to get good health care outcomes for everyone?

              With regards

              Peter Burgess
              ____________

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
                Dear Peter,

                Hello and thanks so much for this thoughtful response. It is indeed
                frustrating that the combination of factors you mention cannot unite to
                create better health outcomes as concerns malaria. Can you think of anything
                we can do, by which I mean members here?

                I would be interested to know more abt Jamii Bora is doing. Can you fill us
                in, or direct us to more info?

                With all best wishes and appreciation, Janet

> [...]

                > thing. Hezekiah has surely had experience in these matters too, so his
                > feedback would be helpful.
                >
                > On a somewhat related matter--in terms of sustainable solutions--how is
                > the
                > conference coming along?
                >
                > Your mention of the photography business is also along the same lines, and
                > it's great you are thinking in this direction. I wonder if you could find
                > someone local to go into business with you, ie someone to help set you up?
                > Is Ricardo teaching you what you will need to know about taking the pix,
                > or
                > do you know much of that already? If you're not sure about being able to
                > take professional pix, you might want to look for a professional
                > photographer, as that person may have an incentive to want a business too.
                >
                > With blessings always, and continual care sent your way in spirit! Janet

                17:55:00
              • Peter Burgess
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
                  Dear Janet ... others

                  Google Jamii Bora Kenya and you will find a lot of material.

                  Chris Macrae has pulled together some thoughts about Jamii Bora and
                  Ingrid Munro at this URL ... http://www.jamiibora.net/

                  Chris has met Dr. Muhammad Yunus several times since 2007 and Ingrid
                  Munro more than once this year. I joined Chris at some of these
                  meetings in New York.

                  Both Dr. Yunus and Ingrid Munro are serious about social value and
                  bottom of the pyramid (BoP).

                  I am developing a system of Community Analytics (CA) that I am hoping
                  will help to separate out the exploitation in poor communities from
                  the support for poor communities. My experience in the field over a
                  good number of years showed me how little of development resource
                  ended up doing community level value creation ... while local
                  initiatives like the Jamii Bora micro-up local initiatives in Kenya
                  (starting originally in urban slums) seem to be creating really
                  positive local progress.

                  I am applying CA to health and malaria as well as the microfinance /
                  micro-enterprise sector. Again the cost analysis suggests that
                  community level upgrading of the health infrastructure will have a
                  huge impact on health ... but this is not the way the donors, the
                  major health institutions like CDC and WHO, most of the NGOs, and the
                  beneficiary governments want to work.

                  Frankly ... the cost logic is pretty convincing for a community focus
                  improvement to the health infrastructure. Sadly the value chain
                  analysis of the prevailing system suggests that most decision makers
                  are better off with the status quo.

                  I would like to answer your question about what people in Kenya could
                  do that would be useful as follows ... "Become community organizers
                  and help to get key CA data for some pilot communities ... including
                  health data" ... but I am not quite ready and I do not want to waste
                  people's time. I am also aware that there has to be funding to do
                  serious work, and again, in this matter I am not ready yet either.

                  Maybe a step towards the goals of (1) community data and (2) getting a
                  development fund organized would be to get a simple "sign on" list
                  that simply has community name ... people name and people contact
                  (email).

                  This list would help substantiate that CA does have some contact
                  strength on the ground and this will eventually help with Goal 2.

                  I am rebuilding the Tr-Ac-Net database interface to suit the CA data
                  architecture and this will help me get to Goal 1 ... which also feeds
                  into Goal 2.

                  Some colleagues are working on a development fund for SME support ...
                  an initiative to help successful small business get to become
                  successful medium business. In due course I may need to identify MFIs
                  that know about fast growing SMEs that need financing for expansion.
                  But that is another project!

                  Sincerely

                  Peter
                  ____________
                  Peter Burgess
                  Tr-Ac-Net Inc ... The Transparency and Accountability Network
                  Community Analytics (CA)
                  Integrated Malaria Management (IMM)
                  Microfinance Focus Magazine in New York
                  website: www.tr-ac-net.org