Soybean reports from Samwel's team!

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 25, 2006
      Samwel,
      Thank you for your reports - and your fast work!
      I share below the fifth one, which I find must profound, because it is your
      on-the-ground original research by you and your team.
      The third one was empty. The first one seemed to use information copied and
      assembled from various sources in the Internet. In that case we have a
      problem... in the West it is better I think to give the links and let people
      read the material, however, in Kenya people do not have such good access, so
      we will need to think what is best.
      I share your fifth report and your letters for now.
      Samwel, please thank your team for us! and I'm glad for your trip to
      Tanzania.
      Andrius
      -----------------------------

      Long before it came to Africa; it was one of the scared grains and getting
      such a crop with many uses & benefits to humanity, it can transform many
      families and countries. Soya Bean is in demand world wide and I will
      concentrate locally here where people also demand it for their health.

      Among many leguminous crops Soya bean fetches high prices due to its out
      spoken importance to human health improvement. Talking to Joyce Auma Osongo
      of Mbita market where we sell Soya bean in Small quantities, the true story
      of Soya bean as a crop comes real with one day’s demand and reasons why it’s
      selling much locally than other leguminous seeds. It is food as well as life
      saving crop.

      The farmers around the lake shore does not grow much of Soya bean, most of
      the seeds of Soya sold here are collected from other further markets and
      stored here and sold on retail. The Suba District farmers grow Soya as a
      subsistence crop but the government is always helping people with technology
      skills for most of the agricultural issues to help them expand the production
      requirements and to satisfy the increasing demand.

      Anyway, the traders in Mbita including me says, that if we could have more
      stock of Soya beans continuously throughout the year the sale can go up. The
      current production is low and this is the reason for limited stock. Typically
      storage is done in smaller stores like the ones here below showing the
      already stored Soya beans waiting to be sold to consumers in Mbita Market. We
      don’t sell to established commercial businesses but to the final consumers.

      Although we are committed as traders to make the people here understand and
      utilize the impotence of Soya beans and having Information technology element
      to help spread the connection and information, we have to get connected with
      updated information of markets nationally and globally.

      We must have a means where we are informed of current rates in other markets
      and this can be done through information sharing to farmers or the retail
      traders. With internet connections available to Soya Bean consumers also, we
      are going to identify the existing markets for consumers and farmers who need
      seed for planting.

      In Kenya and many tropical countries, national development strategies are
      being reoriented toward increasing and diversifying food production and
      consumption, in order to alleviate hunger and malnutrition. As essential
      first stage in this endeavor is the promotion of indigenous foods, by
      encouraging their production and their effective utilization.

      Development activities in many developing countries are radically changing
      the pattern of rural life through technology and information transfer. With
      the improvements in communication and education, rural cultivators have
      become more mobile and more ambitious. They have moved to towns and entered
      the market economy as cash crop producers.

      Broadening the food base with traditional food plants therefore will inquire
      an integrated programme of investment, research and extension, combined with
      improved facilities for processing, marketing and distributing the products.
      Promotion of effective food utilization requires an understanding of the
      complex sequence of interrelated events from the moment a crop is harvested
      until it is consumed; this sequence is summarized as post-harvest food
      handling. The food handling sequence depends on the commodity; normally it
      includes primary and secondary processing, storage and marketing, followed by
      household preparation and consumption. In countries like Kenya, many such
      activities take place at the community or small-scale commercial levels,
      using traditional methods and techniques empirically developed through that
      community.

      Where possible in this compendium, the principles underlying traditional
      processing and preservation techniques have been delineated, but the most
      traditional techniques have evolved over time and have never been formally
      recorded or standardized. Here indeed, is a rich field for scientific
      investigation and development, and technological transfer between
      communities, to guide and support formal endeavors to improve community
      nutrition and commercial gains.

      The introduction of new foods into the community is fraught with
      difficulties. Familiar foods are deeply cherished and create a feeling of
      unity and security. A food staple that is regularly eaten in large quantities
      is often identified with food itself, and any changes in its precise
      characteristics of appearance, flavour or texture may be strongly resisted.
      Although Soya bean is produced in a number of tropical countries, especially
      In Brazil, its local utilization as food is dependent on the of an
      appropriate traditional processing technique, such as micro-bial
      fermentation, and the local acceptance of the textures and flavours of
      fermented bean products. In the absence of these, in most regions of the
      tropics Soya beans have bean regarded as cash crop, cultivated for oil
      extraction and animal feed or, in most cases, sold to industrialized
      countries for processing.

      The team below made this Food story possible and was coordinated by Samwel
      Kongere samkongere2004@... Onset.

      Bernard Midian’ga Okello- Herbalist Rusinga Island Mbita
      Hezra Omwoma Omwoma- Farmer Rusinga Island Mbita kawadevelopment@...
      Francis Opiyo Opiyo-Network Member Mbita opiyo79@...
      Kennedy Ojengo, helped in Pictures- Youth Volunteer Rusinga Island
      Jared Apache- Youth initiative Rusinga Island
      Kennedy Odhiambo Oraya-Udogo group member- kenoraya@...
      Kawala Women development Group- Rusinga Island
      Josephine Adhiambo Miruka-Out of school lady, Rusinga Island
      Jane Oguta- Ministry of Agriculture Suba District, Mbita
      Udogo youth development group members skongere@...
      Joice Auma Osongo-Food trader Mbita Market
      Lillian Anyango Okech- Cereals dealer Mbita market.

      Dear Andrius,

      I have tried sending these attachements yesterday but wasn't well due t our
      Internet service here.I am hoping to send the last attachement part four for
      you and you can go on to create comments before posting it anyway.

      It was a short time but send in your comments....and the issue of sending
      money let's discuss this later I am preparing to go Tanzania and hope to tell
      William and his group how Ms lab works.

      Happy day!
      Samwel

      Hi, Andrius,

      Pleasure to send you this last bit of the Soya bean as a crop report.
      I will be very much committed and going out for a social duty from 3rd Nov to
      11th Nov,when I'll prepare to leave on 19th for Tanzania.

      We will distribute the money to my team members,yes! but when i am from
      Tanzania. Some will receive the amount as we planned and Francis Opiyo will
      report back to you. You will send the amount in total to me in my account and
      distribute it amongst the the members in a get together meenting that will be
      in dec first week.

      Wait to get all the requirements of the bank account and I will let you know
      the next move.

      Bye,
      Samwel
    • Jeff Buderer
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 25, 2006
        Samwel,

        Its a great work with the exception of a few grammerical errors (which I
        still myself struggle with by the way). Your work is a model for all of us.

        thanks

        Jeff

      • samuel kongere
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 26, 2006

          ms@... wrote:

> [...]
          >money let's discuss this later I am preparing to go Tanzania and hope to tell
          >William and his group how Ms lab works.
          >
          >Happy day!
          >Samwel

          >Hi, Andrius,
          >
          >Pleasure to send you this last bit of the Soya bean as a crop report.
          >I will be very much committed and going out for a social duty from 3rd Nov to
          >11th Nov,when I'll prepare to leave on 19th for Tanzania.
          >
          >We will distribute the money to my team members,yes! but when i am from
          >Tanzania. Some will receive the amount as we planned and Francis Opiyo will
          >report back to you. You will send the amount in total to me in my account and
          >distribute it amongst the the members in a get together meenting that will be
          >in dec first week.
          >
          >Wait to get all the requirements of the bank account and I will let you know

          http://www.globalvillages.info/index.php/TheResourceToolshed/HolisticHelping

          Please note our rule: Each letter sent to the Holistic Helping group enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN unless it explicitly states otherwise. Thank you! http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
          mailto:holistichelping-digest@yahoogroups.com
          mailto:holistichelping-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          MBITA  040305-KENYA.
          Cell: +254 725 600 439
          Computer specielist
          Community Development

        • Benter Oballa
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 30, 2006
            Hii Samwel and the group.
             Congratulations on the food story I'm happy to learn about the existence of soya in Mbita. As an extension worker with the ministry of Agriculture this is one crop that we have tried to itroduce to farmers in western Kenya with alot of dificulty even though I wuold say there is a little improvement especially with value addition but still alot need to be done. Please keep on keeping on I'm also with you  in the fight against hunger.
            Benter