Malaria in Nyanza,Picture site

  • tom ochuka
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2009
      Dear all,
      I have been so much pressed with malaria that have assisted others to fight ,and have been taking madications,there is aproblem in kenya over malaria treatement,it has affected abigger number of families,ithought it would not be expensive but have costed me alot,and still will have to treat it.Am still visiting the doctor and cant go far.
      Am encouraging the nets but still its not easy,there should be other means too.Thanks ricardo for ideas and surport for medications and malaria tests
      The children too in Ahero are complainning of fever and weaknesses.
      Before Malaria attack have been Developing Picture site and is willing to work with those who sahr the same vision ,thanks to Ricardo for ideas i will have to fence this place to make it private to the users but public in acaces.
      This is bringing doiffrent backgrounds to it and nice looking flowers ,that are natural,I WOULD LIKE TO KEEPINTOUCH WITH THOSE INTERESTED OR LINKS TO ORGS WITH ASIMILAR VISION.

      Thanks.
      TOM OCHUKA.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
        Hello Dear Tom and All,

        Great to hear from you, but so sorry about the malaria! Our best healing
        wishes are being sent your way, and we hope for a speedy recovery from here
        on out. Immense thanks to Ricardo for helping out! Ricardo, did you post
        your ideas in the forums? If not, I'd appreciate you doing so now, as they
        should be helpful to our brainstorming and any approaches or solutions we
        might formulate.

        Malaria is such a problem everywhere in Kenya, and I'm sure in many other
        places. How can you (Tom) and we get some regular and sustained help to that
        area (meds, nets, et al)? The issue is beyond the means of individuals or
        even us as a group to address fully, but we can certainly work in concert
        with agencies and other groups/orgs to magnify our help to the point where
        it might be more effective for greater numbers of people.

        Hopefully you can use your budding ICTs-related capabilities to do some
        research and outreach in this regard, once you recoup a bit. Do you have
        regular or only intermittent access to the Internet, and what will the
        Sneakernet project do (or what can it do) in this regard, if anything? I/we
        would like to hear more about how that might be applicable.

        Sam, Peter, and many of our members have also been discussing the same
        thing. Hezekiah has surely had experience in these matters too, so his
        feedback would be helpful.

        On a somewhat related matter--in terms of sustainable solutions--how is the
        conference coming along?

        Your mention of the photography business is also along the same lines, and
        it's great you are thinking in this direction. I wonder if you could find
        someone local to go into business with you, ie someone to help set you up?
        Is Ricardo teaching you what you will need to know about taking the pix, or
        do you know much of that already? If you're not sure about being able to
        take professional pix, you might want to look for a professional
        photographer, as that person may have an incentive to want a business too.

        With blessings always, and continual care sent your way in spirit! Janet

        > I have been so much pressed with malaria that have assisted others to
        > fight ,and have been taking madications,there is aproblem in kenya over
        > malaria treatement,it has affected abigger number of families,ithought it
        > would not be expensive but have costed me alot,and still will have to
        > treat it.Am still visiting the doctor and cant go far.
        > Am encouraging the nets but still its not easy,there should be other means
        > too.Thanks ricardo for ideas and surport for medications and malaria tests
        > The children too in Ahero are complainning of fever and weaknesses.
        > Before Malaria attack have been Developing Picture site and is willing to
        > work with those who sahr the same vision ,thanks to Ricardo for ideas i
        > will have to fence this place to make it private to the users but public
        > in acaces.
        > This is bringing doiffrent backgrounds to it and nice looking flowers
        > ,that are natural,I WOULD LIKE TO KEEPINTOUCH WITH THOSE INTERESTED OR
        > LINKS TO ORGS WITH ASIMILAR VISION.
        >
        > Thanks.
        > TOM OCHUKA.

        17:53:00
      • Benoit Couture
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
          Salut everyone,

          Jeffrey Sacks is an economist who might be interested to help regarding malaria and bed nets, as he has made it one of his priorities.  Perhaps that one of Minciu Sodas' best reputed networker could generate his interest to work with Samwel, Tom and all who could use the support.  Read about him at:
          If you google his mane along with malaria and bed nets, you will more info.

          Benoit

          > I have been so much pressed with malaria that have assisted others to
          > fight ,and have been taking madications, there is aproblem in kenya over
          > malaria treatement,it has affected abigger number of families,ithought it
          > would not be expensive but have costed me alot,and still will have to
          > treat it.Am still visiting the doctor and cant go far.
          > Am encouraging the nets but still its not easy,there should be other means
          > too.Thanks ricardo for ideas and surport for medications and malaria tests
          > The children too in Ahero are complainning of fever and weaknesses.
          > Before Malaria attack have been Developing Picture site and is willing to
          > work with those who sahr the same vision ,thanks to Ricardo for ideas i
          > will have to fence this place to make it private to the users but public
          > in acaces.
          > This is bringing doiffrent backgrounds to it and nice looking flowers
          > ,that are natural,I WOULD LIKE TO KEEPINTOUCH WITH THOSE INTERESTED OR
          > LINKS TO ORGS WITH ASIMILAR VISION.
          >
          > Thanks.
          > TOM OCHUKA.

          17:53:00

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
            Hello Dear Benoit and All,

            Great to see you posting, and immense thanks for this info!! I do "know" Jeff Sachs in a way, as we have corresponded (a few years ago now), and I helped to arrange his virtual visit (keynote address) at a nutrition and HIV/AIDS conference at that time.  Not sure if he would remember me, but I could write to him and see what happens.

            He does have "roots" in Kenya, in a village in rural West Kenya, called Sauni, I believe. There his org is working on issues of sustainability at the village level, trying to see what best ensures sustainable development at the grassroots, in a holistic and integrative way (addressing everything from sanitation to nutrition to health to income-generation). I'm sure malaria has been a big issue there, so it makes sense that he would be trying to address it!

            If I write soon I will alert him to the conference...perhaps he could even attend, and even better--share his knowledge--which would be marvelous!

            How is everything with you, Benoit? I hope "sustainable" too!

            With love and greatest appreciation, Janet
            Jeffrey Sacks is an economist who might be interested to help regarding malaria and bed nets, as he has made it one of his priorities.  Perhaps that one of Minciu Sodas' best reputed networker could generate his interest to work with Samwel, Tom and all who could use the support.  Read about him at:
            If you google his mane along with malaria and bed nets, you will more info.

            Benoit

            > I have been so much pressed with malaria that have assisted others to
            > fight ,and have been taking madications, there is aproblem in kenya over
            > malaria treatement,it has affected abigger number of families,ithought it
            > would not be expensive but have costed me alot,and still will have to
            > treat it.Am still visiting the doctor and cant go far.
            > Am encouraging the nets but still its not easy,there should be other means
            > too.Thanks ricardo for ideas and surport for medications and malaria tests
            > The children too in Ahero are complainning of fever and weaknesses.
            > Before Malaria attack have been Developing Picture site and is willing to
            > work with those who sahr the same vision ,thanks to Ricardo for ideas i
            > will have to fence this place to make it private to the users but public
            > in acaces.
            > This is bringing doiffrent backgrounds to it and nice looking flowers
            > ,that are natural,I WOULD LIKE TO KEEPINTOUCH WITH THOSE INTERESTED OR
            > LINKS TO ORGS WITH ASIMILAR VISION.
            >
            > Thanks.
            > TOM OCHUKA.

            17:53:00

          • Peter Burgess
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
              Dear Colleagues

              Jeffrey Sachs has had a lot to say about malaria ... and malaria is on
              the agenda of his Millennium Villages Project. I will give him credit
              for making the appalling situation around malaria in Africa better
              known in the developed countries ... together with others like Bono,
              Ray Chambers, etc.. These efforts have increased global spending on
              malaria from about $100 million a year in 2000 to over $2 billion in
              2008 but where has all the money gone?

              My gripe is that this spending has been large but not very effective
              ... all the usual institutions have been funded to do projects and the
              results on the ground are little ... and as I understand it, the
              approach is unsustainable. When you look at how the money is being
              spent you start to understand why progress is so little. The dataflows
              about costs and results are almost totally absent or inaccessible.
              Bednets are a part of a solution ... but only part. There needs to be
              coordinated malaria diagnosis and treatment together with
              comprehensive vector control (... source control ... IRS ... bednets,
              etc.)

              I would argue that further integrating multiple health programs ...
              AIDS, TB, Malaria, Pneumonia, Diarrhea, Reproductive health, Maternity
              care, etc. ... all together in a community focus effort ... steps can
              be made to reduce cost and improve outcomes substantially. I am
              working towards this end!

              It is not too late to improve the fundflow situation ... but it is
              terribly sad that millions will die before the health care situation
              is under good management control!

              Peter
              __________
              Peter Burgess
              Tr-Ac-Net Inc ... The Transparency and Accountability Network
              Community Analytics (CA)
              Integrated Malaria Management (IMM)
              Microfinance Focus Magazine in New York
              website: www.tr-ac-net.org
              tel: 917 432 1191 or 212 772 6918
              email: peterbnyc@...
              skype: peterburgessnyc

              On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Benoit Couture<benoitctr@...> wrote:

              > Salut everyone,
              >
              > Jeffrey Sacks is an economist who might be interested to help regarding
              > malaria and bed nets, as he has made it one of his priorities.  Perhaps that
              > one of Minciu Sodas' best reputed networker could generate his interest to
              > work with Samwel, Tom and all who could use the support.  Read about him at:
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Sachs
              > If you google his mane along with malaria and bed nets, you will more info.
              >
              > Benoit

                Dear Janet ... Colleagues

                Malaria ... health ... is in a parlous state around the world. The
                science is great ... the use of this science is appalling.

                More and more money doing rather little is not a good solution ...
                rather upgrading the results from a good fund flow should be a
                priority. There is some good news (1) a growing number of medical
                professionals in Africa are calling for change and (2) a growing
                community of expatriates also recognize that what is going on is too
                costly, ineffective and unsustainable.

                In the USA, the idea of socialized medicine is scorned by almost
                everyone ... yet it is socialized medicine that ODA funds and African
                governments are encouraged to provide. Surprise, surprise ... the
                money runs out and health care is inadequate.

                The private sector enterprise economy and philanthropy and/or social
                business sector should be much more in play ... but to my knowledge,
                their work is not well documented. I understand Jamii Bora (Ingrid
                Munro) in Kenya has made progress in this area that is remarkable ...
                but it is small relative to the natinal need

                There is good science. There are good people. There are funds. Why do
                they not come together to get good health care outcomes for everyone?

                With regards

                Peter Burgess
                ____________

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
                  Dear Peter,

                  Hello and thanks so much for this thoughtful response. It is indeed
                  frustrating that the combination of factors you mention cannot unite to
                  create better health outcomes as concerns malaria. Can you think of anything
                  we can do, by which I mean members here?

                  I would be interested to know more abt Jamii Bora is doing. Can you fill us
                  in, or direct us to more info?

                  With all best wishes and appreciation, Janet

> [...]

                  > thing. Hezekiah has surely had experience in these matters too, so his
                  > feedback would be helpful.
                  >
                  > On a somewhat related matter--in terms of sustainable solutions--how is
                  > the
                  > conference coming along?
                  >
                  > Your mention of the photography business is also along the same lines, and
                  > it's great you are thinking in this direction. I wonder if you could find
                  > someone local to go into business with you, ie someone to help set you up?
                  > Is Ricardo teaching you what you will need to know about taking the pix,
                  > or
                  > do you know much of that already? If you're not sure about being able to
                  > take professional pix, you might want to look for a professional
                  > photographer, as that person may have an incentive to want a business too.
                  >
                  > With blessings always, and continual care sent your way in spirit! Janet

                  17:55:00
                • Peter Burgess
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
                    Dear Janet ... others

                    Google Jamii Bora Kenya and you will find a lot of material.

                    Chris Macrae has pulled together some thoughts about Jamii Bora and
                    Ingrid Munro at this URL ... http://www.jamiibora.net/

                    Chris has met Dr. Muhammad Yunus several times since 2007 and Ingrid
                    Munro more than once this year. I joined Chris at some of these
                    meetings in New York.

                    Both Dr. Yunus and Ingrid Munro are serious about social value and
                    bottom of the pyramid (BoP).

                    I am developing a system of Community Analytics (CA) that I am hoping
                    will help to separate out the exploitation in poor communities from
                    the support for poor communities. My experience in the field over a
                    good number of years showed me how little of development resource
                    ended up doing community level value creation ... while local
                    initiatives like the Jamii Bora micro-up local initiatives in Kenya
                    (starting originally in urban slums) seem to be creating really
                    positive local progress.

                    I am applying CA to health and malaria as well as the microfinance /
                    micro-enterprise sector. Again the cost analysis suggests that
                    community level upgrading of the health infrastructure will have a
                    huge impact on health ... but this is not the way the donors, the
                    major health institutions like CDC and WHO, most of the NGOs, and the
                    beneficiary governments want to work.

                    Frankly ... the cost logic is pretty convincing for a community focus
                    improvement to the health infrastructure. Sadly the value chain
                    analysis of the prevailing system suggests that most decision makers
                    are better off with the status quo.

                    I would like to answer your question about what people in Kenya could
                    do that would be useful as follows ... "Become community organizers
                    and help to get key CA data for some pilot communities ... including
                    health data" ... but I am not quite ready and I do not want to waste
                    people's time. I am also aware that there has to be funding to do
                    serious work, and again, in this matter I am not ready yet either.

                    Maybe a step towards the goals of (1) community data and (2) getting a
                    development fund organized would be to get a simple "sign on" list
                    that simply has community name ... people name and people contact
                    (email).

                    This list would help substantiate that CA does have some contact
                    strength on the ground and this will eventually help with Goal 2.

                    I am rebuilding the Tr-Ac-Net database interface to suit the CA data
                    architecture and this will help me get to Goal 1 ... which also feeds
                    into Goal 2.

                    Some colleagues are working on a development fund for SME support ...
                    an initiative to help successful small business get to become
                    successful medium business. In due course I may need to identify MFIs
                    that know about fast growing SMEs that need financing for expansion.
                    But that is another project!

                    Sincerely

                    Peter
                    ____________
                    Peter Burgess
                    Tr-Ac-Net Inc ... The Transparency and Accountability Network
                    Community Analytics (CA)
                    Integrated Malaria Management (IMM)
                    Microfinance Focus Magazine in New York
                    website: www.tr-ac-net.org