Franz and Andrius chat about Marcin and art

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2009
      Marcin Jakubowski of Factor E Farm http://openfarmtech.org/weblog/ is
      touring Austrian villages thanks to Franz Nahrada who leads our Global
      Villages working group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/globalvillages/
      Marcin and I think Samuel Rose were invited to showcase their work at
      http://subversivmesse.net Suversiv Messe (subversive fair) in Linz,

      Thanks to Ben de Vries and Jeremy Maso at the farm in Missouri, and thanks
      to their agreeing to work for our Mornflake project, we've taken some real
      practical steps that Minciu Sodas might highlight and organize around
      Factor E Farm, including their blog. Franz and I chat about Marcin's
      priorities and how Minciu Sodas might support him. Marcin is a key person
      in our world and (as with so many of us) it takes years to learn how we
      might support each other. And it's definitely worth it. We also mention
      supporting something analogous in Africa, especially around Samwel Kongere
      in Rusinga Island.

      Franz and I also chat about my first art show which took place in the
      "Republic of Uzhupis", an artistic neighborhood of Vilnius, Lithuania. It
      was based on my drawings of my algebra students in Bosnia which I drew
      when they would take my exams. Tomas Cepaitis and Vygantas Vejas liked my
      drawings and invited me to do an art show at http://www.umi.lt/galera.php
      and encouraged me to do new works. Thank you to Ana Ilic of Serbia (of
      Baby Tumbler and Public Domain Fashion) who, with help from Zdenka and
      Sasha Mrkailo, provided me with video and photos of her cutting, sewing,
      painting, so that she could be my muse of problem-solving. I painted six
      paintings (the six days of creation) and one big one (2,5 m high and 2 m
      wide) of the 5th day of creation where the Muse (or Jesus) cuts the paths
      for the birds to swim and the fish to fly. Then Anuch and I took this
      painting to various locations outdoors in the city to see how it would
      look. You can see it all here:
      and Gintaras Jaronis made a video:
      in Lithuanian, of course! And Ruta Sakaliene of the village of
      Marcinkonys, whose little daughter I drew (as the "inner muse"), is
      inspired to start an art gallery (as she's wished for many years) and will
      take my paintings for keeping there. So I share my excitement, too. I
      know that we have many artists and I'm glad to join you! and invite
      others, too.

      Franz: hi
      35:41 Andrius: hi!
      35:47 Franz: finally
      35:50 Andrius: thank you for your blog posts and comments
      35:53 Andrius: and hi to Marcin!
      35:57 Franz: OK
      36:09 Andrius: and it's going well with Factor E Farm I'm glad they're
      working for us on Mornflake
      36:15 Andrius: and it seems Markus Petz will, too
      36:17 Franz: Marcin told me
      36:56 Franz: I discussed a lot of strategy with Marcin
      37:22 Franz: and I think there is a clear need to overcome current
      37:44 Andrius: yes?
      37:48 Franz: The visit here could be a giant leap rorward
      37:52 Andrius: great
      37:56 Andrius: what are the limitations?
      38:10 Andrius: the work with Factor E Farm is very helpful
      38:20 Andrius: because it means that we'll be able to feature their
      blog at our sites
      38:25 Andrius: and link up more closely
      38:46 Franz: Yes. But here is the catch. Marcin told me that he found out
      that there is no person that has the technical skills to carry on the
      39:12 Franz: There is a serious limitation because there are no people on
      the farm with real technical skills
      39:38 Franz: We discussed a five point plan and I dont know if I can get
      all things together
      40:14 Franz: 1. organize around people who can cooperate remotedly
      because they have the skills required
      40:45 Franz: 2. find more places already existing with skilled people
      that can take part of the work
      41:13 Andrius: yes
      41:17 Franz: 3. make it easier for people to move in, for example tell
      them to rent a trailer
      41:29 Franz: instead of teling them to live spartanic
      41:58 Franz: these are three of the five points we discussed
      42:33 Franz: and all of them boil down to start resource mapping for OSE
      42:58 Franz: Marcin is overwhelmed with requests, but somebody should map
      and filter skills and needs of people
      43:42 Franz: so that it is possible to magage projects better
      44:17 Franz: also, when I asked him about if he would take sponsoring
      corporate money he said he had no problem with that
      44:42 Andrius: we can provide a online assistant for him
      44:50 Franz: when we arrived in Vienna and I took him to a walk on Danube
      Island, we had another exciting encounter
      44:51 Andrius: and create a reply system
      44:54 Andrius: yes?
      45:02 Andrius: and the other two points of five?
      45:15 Franz: Wow, yes. OK, the point four emerged from that encounter
      45:30 Franz: there were two youn men with an ambulance on the island
      45:41 Franz: waiting for cases of first aid
      46:06 Franz: and I had the idea of having a chat with them
      46:23 Franz: it turned out they are people who took civil service
      46:39 Franz: which is an alternative to going to the army in Austria
      47:02 Andrius: yes
      47:03 Franz: they said the army is a joke anyway
      47:27 Franz: and so instead of six months army service they prefer nine
      months civil service
      47:49 Franz: they get employed by NGOs and the ste pays these NGOs for
      work in the public good
      48:06 Franz: but not much since its a duty
      48:27 Franz: so they do hospitals, building, office works and many other
      48:56 Franz: some of them going to Africa doing development work
      49:18 Franz: so young people with technical skills could also one day be
      doing their civil service with OSE
      50:06 Franz: that was the fourth idea. Get volunteers for whom OSE is an
      50:15 Andrius: yes
      50:23 Franz: the fifth idea was far fledged:
      50:38 Franz: lets build technical skills by our own education system
      50:54 Franz: lets have a technical university of the villages
      51:03 Andrius: yes!
      51:12 Andrius: yes I think that's very to the point
      51:21 Andrius: and that way we attract people with technical skills
      51:24 Franz: because we are confronted with a lack of technical education
      all around society
      51:28 Andrius: and we grow in technical literacy (including math)
      51:32 Andrius: yes!
      51:39 Andrius: I'm thinking of what to add...
      51:43 Franz: and people do not even know how to fix things
      52:01 Andrius: but one is to have an analogous farm/center in Africa, I
      think Samwel Kongere is very interested
      52:10 Andrius: yes
      52:16 Franz: We almost already agreed on that
      52:21 Franz: in London
      52:21 Andrius: great
      52:37 Franz: But there needs to be information flow....
      52:46 Andrius: and with Marcin's blog in our network we have the
      startign point for a "global villages blog" aggregation.
      52:56 Andrius: well there's so much we can do if we work together
      53:01 Andrius: we can provide aggregation tools
      53:07 Andrius: and online assistants and response systems
      53:21 Andrius: and we can help lead open source technology manuals and
      learning materials
      53:28 Andrius: and we can reach out to include experts
      53:35 Andrius: and if we worked together
      53:40 Andrius: we could also encourage volunteers
      53:45 Franz: but when we are thinking about a second, third.... place,
      someone has to go to see Marcin and immerse. Maybe even assistants should
      53:46 Andrius: And maybe we can think of business ideas.
      53:55 Andrius: sure that's a good idea.
      54:00 Franz: We must think of business ideas
      54:05 Andrius: If we're working together then it's possible
      54:11 Franz: because we got to finance that
      54:21 Andrius: it just takes a bit of acknowledgement / interest from
      his side
      54:29 Andrius: Well we do what we can for free
      54:35 Andrius: and then we look for business opportunities
      54:37 Andrius: yes
      54:38 Franz: I was surprised that he was totally open to it
      54:41 Andrius: good
      54:48 Andrius: You know that I'm supportive
      55:27 Franz: And we made a little bit fun out of the Mornflake affair,
      not in a bad way, but also putting it into perspective....
      55:39 Franz: So that of course the idea is great
      56:02 Franz: But Ben and Jeremy are working all day with the tractor and
      other farmwork
      56:33 Franz: and they were discussing it, really nicely
      56:43 Andrius: Ben and Jeremy are very interested and we're in touch
      57:00 Franz: Yes, it worked out well...
      57:15 Andrius: yes it's a good example (and KeimForm is too) how
      57:20 Andrius: money brings people together
      57:28 Andrius: I feel better connected to KeimForm
      57:32 Andrius: thanks to that incident
      57:37 Andrius: then I would have otherwise
      57:39 Franz: but sometimes you need a kind of humour to understand how
      contradictory things are
      57:44 Andrius: certainly!
      13:39 Andrius: what else regarding Marcin?
      13:44 Andrius: how can we be most supportive?
      13:51 Andrius: also what is his central goal?
      13:54 Andrius: because he has so many!
      14:02 Andrius: what does he want to focus on
      14:06 Andrius: and what can he have others do?
      14:29 Franz: His central goal is to have words and deeds unite
      14:52 Franz: not just talking about freedom but creating it
      15:15 Andrius: yes
      15:28 Franz: that is very precious
      15:37 Andrius: I wish he'd notice that more broadly
      15:38 Franz: he is a hero
      15:41 Andrius: yes
      15:43 Andrius: for example
      15:49 Andrius: I just had my first art exhibit
      15:56 Andrius: and it really had a great impact for the Uzhupis community
      15:57 Franz: saw it
      16:01 Andrius: people really felt freed by it
      16:16 Franz: how exactly?
      16:34 Andrius: that they felt i was a "free person"
      16:39 Andrius: that it was clear that
      16:49 Andrius: I could produce moving works
      17:18 Franz: ambivalence of art, was always so disturbing to me
      17:31 Franz: the artist represents freedom in an abstract way
      18:01 Franz: materializing signs of freedom
      18:37 Franz: while in most circumstances of life we are only free to
      accept choices
      18:47 Andrius: with no formal training at all
      18:50 Franz: that we never created in freedom
      19:12 Franz: dont be disturbed, I see your point but I also have to
      reiterate mine
      19:15 Andrius: that I made everything of the freedom they gave me - I
      appreciated it enormously - they invited me to do this show and I never
      would have otherwise
      19:32 Andrius: and then I did everything to encourage others - I was
      there during the day talking to people about my work
      19:42 Andrius: and encouraging them - and listening for their impressions
      19:55 Franz: that is beautiful. maybe thats the best an artist can do
      20:06 Andrius: and my work is very positively energetic
      20:16 Andrius: so for example my colors are extremely bright
      20:53 Andrius: whereas in Lithuanian art they are brown yellow, brown
      red, brown blue etc.
      21:04 Andrius: and my painting fills up the largest city square!
      21:08 Andrius: if you saw the picture!
      21:14 Franz: yes
      21:17 Andrius: it was quite surprising, people didn't expect it could
      do that
      21:27 Andrius: it's not supposed to be possible for such a "small work"
      21:33 Andrius: 2,5 meters
      21:42 Andrius: and the square is maybe 200 m
      22:03 Andrius: and it's meaningful work - there are a lot of ideas in
      it and about it
      22:15 Andrius: so people liked that enormously - tourists, artists,
      22:18 Andrius: and I'm very welcome there
      22:24 Andrius: and it's beent here all month long.
      22:42 Andrius: So I learned a lot about "global villages" from that
      22:46 Andrius: About the centrality of art.
      22:54 Andrius: and so when we think of "technology"
      22:58 Andrius: art is a big aspect of that
      23:03 Andrius: technology for art's sake
      23:09 Andrius: and artistic applications of technology
      23:10 Franz: Did you see Arcosanti?
      23:14 Andrius: yes
      23:22 Andrius: yes that's a good example indeed
      23:27 Franz: that is something I consider ultimate art
      23:29 Andrius: of how somethign like concrete becomes an art form
      23:36 Andrius: or the bells
      23:42 Franz: art is in everything
      23:44 Andrius: that technology serves art
      23:46 Franz: there
      23:58 Franz: and art is an expression of the culture
      23:59 Andrius: and art opens up new applications of technology
      24:02 Andrius: yes
      24:10 Andrius: and I miss that dimension in Factor E Farm
      24:18 Franz: right....that separation does not exist
      24:26 Franz: Marcin is an engineer
      24:32 Andrius: and I imagine Marcin is a very artistic person inside
      24:38 Andrius: and we don't get to see that
      24:39 Franz: he is not a community designer
      24:45 Andrius: he is in a way
      24:52 Andrius: in some ways very successful
      24:55 Franz: but maybe he is as you say
      25:03 Andrius: but not in a sharing way
      25:16 Franz: I have this image
      25:23 Franz: which is very talikng
      25:26 Andrius: he's not a sharing person - and I say that constructively
      25:51 Andrius: because he can grow I think regarding that and he is and
      26:21 Andrius: I think his idea of freedom
      26:22 Franz: look at that
      26:26 Franz:
      26:35 Andrius: is very much linked to independence
      26:40 Franz: yes
      26:42 Andrius: and so that can conflict with sharing
      26:49 Franz: yes
      26:53 Andrius: because you can think - why should I share? - you should
      be independent
      27:01 Franz: look at the foto!
      27:07 Andrius: I was in the bike store this week - I bought a nice bike
      for the village
      27:21 Franz: comment on the foto!
      27:42 Andrius: what book is that?
      27:52 Franz: that is Marcins sketchbook
      27:57 Andrius: oh wow!
      28:03 Andrius: Alex Rollin und Marcin Jakubowski und das Medium ist
      (manchmal doch nicht ganz) die Botschaft
      28:14 Franz: yes, that is so funny
      28:14 Andrius: that's right, I remember in Vienna
      28:26 Andrius: what is Botschaft?
      29:07 Franz: MArcin has this artistic need - Botschaft is message - and I
      say: the meedium is the message, but sometimes not quite...
      29:15 Franz: thats my comment
      29:22 Andrius: oh
      29:36 Andrius: I really benefited from the show I did
      29:41 Andrius: I really grew
      29:45 Franz: I was taken by that artistic subtext and its lack of
      29:59 Andrius: in my self-awareness
      30:04 Franz: OK
      30:24 Andrius: of what role I can
      30:24 Franz: dont get an artist character thought!
      30:31 Andrius: play just
      30:32 Franz: though
      30:51 Andrius: I think people liked
      30:55 Andrius: that I was very
      31:00 Andrius: open to engagement
      31:12 Andrius: very much receptive to people
      31:18 Andrius: yet strong in my own instincts
      31:35 Andrius: that I could be apart from the entire system
      31:50 Andrius: but I could care what any person might have to say
      32:04 Andrius: and that was very freeing for people, very encouraging
      32:11 Andrius: that they could do it too
      32:25 Andrius: the artist character is opposite of that? or what do you
      32:39 Andrius: I was surprised that I inspired a lot of people
      33:05 Franz: The society as it is has a reverence for artists which I
      dont really feel connected to... I feel like the guy beside the victorius
      General on the triumph wagon coming back to Rome... the artist character
      is an icon of freedom wheras people normally use their freedom in
      different ways
      33:24 Andrius: and that it was so easy for them to get something from
      my art whereas it is almost impossible for them to get anything from my
      33:40 Andrius: and that my art can be a tool for getting across my
      ideas - they said it really made them think
      33:54 Andrius: it was like being a healthy person
      33:59 Andrius: among the ill in a hospital
      34:04 Andrius: and people being happy for that
      34:09 Andrius: to see what is health.
      34:16 Andrius: it was very strange.
      34:41 Franz: good. I thank you for sharing that with me
      34:43 Andrius: because I was quite tentative because I have no training
      34:47 Andrius: yes
      34:53 Andrius: and you have that effect on me
      35:02 Andrius: with your vision and your passion and your drive
      35:13 Andrius: it's very helpful thank you!
      35:25 Franz: Thank you
      35:44 Franz: so we close for today...
      35:50 Andrius: so these are dimensions for the global village
      35:54 Andrius: yes may I share our chat
      35:55 Andrius: deleting
      36:07 Franz: right
      36:17 Andrius: thank you!
      36:19 Andrius: good nigh!
      36:32 Andrius: congratulations to you and Marcin on his travels!
      36:33 Franz: seems it needs a lot of editing---up to you!
      37:10 Franz: and maybe a lot of sensitivity where not to include personal
      37:27 Franz: but you will do it well I think
      37:35 Andrius: I don't know how much to worry
      37:38 Andrius: it is how it is
      38:11 Franz: well I alsways worry about how things will turn out ...
      38:19 Franz: thats a different perspective
      38:23 Andrius: I "live by truth" ;)
      38:33 Andrius: so I watch what i say
      39:22 Andrius: I will double check what you wrote
      39:33 Franz: thank you!
      39:39 Andrius: good night
      39:45 Franz: Good night
      43:22 Franz: The sentence "I feel like the guy beside the victorius
      general on the triumph wagon coming back to Rome... " meant: I dont want
      to bring you down in that feeling but I feel that I remind you we are
      easily taken up by our own success to a distorted viewpoint. Of course
      your experiences are a gift and wonderful.
      43:44 Andrius: sure
      43:59 Andrius: I didn't understand so it had no effect! ;)
      44:09 Franz: :)
      44:37 Andrius: I've had many different experiences
      44:41 Andrius: so it's not the only kind!
      44:49 Andrius: it's funny because
      45:01 Andrius: I've so often been treated as knowing nothign about art.
      45:11 Andrius: and now people compare me to Van Gogh and Picasso
      45:25 Andrius: so what can we do
      45:56 Andrius: but it's nice people are warm and friendly
      46:09 Andrius: and I try to give it all back
      46:41 Franz: Its good. its a privilege. and I think it can be used in a
      good way. as I said the reverence for the artist
      46:56 Franz: maybe the expression of an inner desire that cannot be lived
      47:14 Franz: so in the normal case
      47:29 Andrius: and I seem to open that reality up for a lot of people -
      they find a thread in themselves
      47:32 Andrius: and that's wonderful
      47:48 Andrius: because they recognize the artist in themselves when
      they see my work
      48:03 Andrius: and it's not a question of whether they are "good"
      48:06 Andrius: but of their impact
      48:28 Andrius: which is evidently very real, positive, liberating and
      as an artist told me
      48:44 Andrius: because I care it all has meaning so much more
      49:11 Andrius: it's hard not to exaggerate
      49:18 Andrius: but it's exciting to see
      49:19 Franz: well - I totally understand that feeling.
      49:28 Andrius: they took my posters for permanent exhibit upstairs
      49:34 Andrius: and Ruta Sakalien
      49:40 Andrius: Ruta Sakalas
      49:50 Andrius: is opening a gallery she decided starting with my works
      49:56 Andrius: so they will have a home
      50:03 Andrius: so I'm very grateful
      50:08 Andrius: in Marcinkonys
      50:15 Franz: I am very happy for you