Re: [actalive] Repacted may receive computers from Computer Aid International

  • Denis Kimambo
    Message 1 of 6 , May 12, 2009
      Dear Janet Andrius and all

      Thank you for the responces and am really touched by this we will recieve 25 pentium 4 Computerss fully loaded and with all the cables as from the mail i forwarded to the group, the total cost of shipment, inspection documentation and carrier handling is as stated by CAI is 2080 Sterling pounds..

      We intend to use this computers for education purposes the beneficiary being the youths and poplation within the community, also targeting some of the street children and youths who we are planning to work with in the very near future. All the computers will be kept in Nakuru and we will not sell as we are recieveing them as a gift and the center will also be a blogging center for the community to blog freely.

      Kind Regards always

      DENNIS KIMAMBO
      +254-722-388-275
      PO BOX 17382 20100
      Kipchoge Keino Avenue
      Nakuru Players Theatre behind Bontana Hotel
      NAKURU KENYA
      EAST AFRICA
      repacted.org

      From: <ms@...>
      To: <holistichelping@ yahoogroups. com>; <learnhowtolearn@ yahoogroups. com>;
      <mendenyo@yahoogroup s.com>; <learningfromeachoth er@yahoogroups. com>
      Message 2 of 6 , May 12, 2009

        Dear Dennis, Andrius, and All,

        Andrius, I have just read your full note on this, with a discussion abt pooling resources. The last time I checked with CAI, one has to be a nonprofit, a school, or some other like entity to get these computers (so MS as a "business" could not, unless the rules have changed).

        Some of our other members in Kenya could apply, but there is a "vetting" process too, which might add layers of "issues" to sending them to more than one party at a time. That could be checked, though. In any case, it would be good to link any ICTs projects that members have, such as the Sneakernet project and REPACTED's blogging project.  And that's good to keep in mind as members develop their ICTs capacities.

        In this case it sounds like REPACTED has a need for all of the computers in the shipment, though?

        Besides the issues I mentioned earlier, I wonder about the importing and transportation from Mombasa.  I have heard that import fees have been waived for computers, but is that true?  Sometimes items like this can sit for months in port, so that should be checked. Also, do you have transport of these machines from Mombasa to Nakuru?

        The total cost for shipment in dollars is $3000.  I think you might want to consider applying for a second Rising Voices grant this summer, Dennis, which would cover the shipment costs, and give you a bit more to expand your already successful blogging program. I'm not sure how else you can raise $3000...does the Kenya ICTs program have any funds you can apply for to purchase computers?

        By the way, I need more info from you on that for a case study for the Blogging Positively Guide!

        Thanks for all suggestions, and very best wishes and blessings to everyone!  Janet

        > Thank you for alerting us that your community theatre activist
        > organization REPACTED http://www.repacted .org in Kenya has been approved
        > for a shipment of computers from Aid International.
        >
        > How many computers will you receive? How do you plan to use them? How
        > much do you need to pay in all for shipping, inspections, taxes and
        > duties? Is it possible for you to sell some of the computers or to keep
        > them in different locations (such as Nairobi, Kisumu, Eldoret and Rusinga
        > Island)?
        >
        > It might be possible for us to pool our resources. What do you think?
        >
        > Also, thank you for helping us research and engage UK online communities
        > http://www.worknets .org/wiki. cgi?UKOnlineComm unities
        > on behalf of Mornflake http://www.mornflak e.com and their online video
        > competition http://www.mornflak ecompetition. com I ask Minciu Sodas
        > participants (and others) in Kenya to contact you +254 722 388 275
        > regarding training because we need more help for this paid work.
        >
        > Andrius
        >
        > Andrius Kulikauskas, Minciu Sodas, http://www.ms. lt, ms@...
        >
        >> Hello all
        >>
        >> Hope that all of you are well and pushing on with projects nicely we have
        >> been carrying out our projects nicely and more and more participartion
        >> from the public, in this endevour we had asked for computers from
        >> computer
        >> Aid International and they ahve aprroved the request though we have to
        >> raise the shipping costs i am fowarding it to this mailing list so that
        >> we
        >> can be assisted and if any one is in UK cn check this ou for us also,
        >> this
        >> will really help REPACTED to reach it mission of continued citizen
        >> mediaship and health messages to more young people. If you find it
        >> good and want to donate we will appreciate,
        >>
        >> Kind Regards
        >> Dennis
        >> DENNIS KIMAMBO
        >> +254-722-388- 275
        >> PO BOX 17382 20100
        >> Kipchoge Keino Avenue
        >> Nakuru Players Theatre behind Bontana Hotel
        >> NAKURU KENYA
        >> EAST AFRICA
        >> repacted.org

        06:54:00

      • David mutua
        Message 3 of 6 , May 12, 2009
          Dear Dennis, Janet, Andrius and all,
          I am always happy to assist in work that enables people have access to information, learning opportunities or acquire knowledge via technology aimed at eradicating ignorance that exists in our communities.

          Dennis, Computer Aid International has the African head office in Nairobi, International House 4th floor, Gladys Muhunyo is the African representative (Programme Manager), her contacts are

          Gladys Muhunyo
          Africa Programme Manager
          Computer Aid International
          4th Floor International House
          P.O BOX 1491-00100, Nairobi, Kenya
          Tel: +254 (0)20 2230827
          Fax: +254 (0)20 2230828
          cell:+254(0)722 707140

          email: gladys@...

          I would suggest you call or write her directly on details you may need about importation of second hand computers and accessories in Kenya via CAI. I won't mind if you mention my name as reference.

          On ICT for youth projects probably you might also want to involve you and your group into the Kenya ICT Board Digital Villages Project - Pasha Centers. Find more information here http://www.ict.go.ke/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=68&Itemid=133 there are Youth ICT Entrepreneurs funds/3 yrs loans to establish Digital villages/Pasha Centers - probably you can start thinking of Nakuru Digital Village. We can discuss further because i have been involved in this project in its initial stages.

          Importation of second hand computers, accessories and parts in Kenya for all purposes (gifts, community projects, for sale e.t.c.) may attract a duty of 25% and VAT 16% of the present cost price.

          Best of Luck

          David N. Mutua
          Cincinnati Ohio
          USA

          Phone: +1 513 237 5911

          > Thank you for alerting us that your community theatre activist
          > organization REPACTED http://www.repacted .org in Kenya has been approved
          > for a shipment of computers from Aid International.
          >
          > How many computers will you receive? How do you plan to use them? How
          > much do you need to pay in all for shipping, inspections, taxes and
          > duties? Is it possible for you to sell some of the computers or to keep
          > them in different locations (such as Nairobi, Kisumu, Eldoret and Rusinga
          > Island)?
          >
          > It might be possible for us to pool our resources. What do you think?
          >
          > Also, thank you for helping us research and engage UK online communities
          > http://www.worknets .org/wiki. cgi?UKOnlineComm unities
          > on behalf of Mornflake http://www.mornflak e.com and their online video
          > competition http://www.mornflak ecompetition. com I ask Minciu Sodas
          > participants (and others) in Kenya to contact you +254 722 388 275
          > regarding training because we need more help for this paid work.
          >
          > Andrius
          >
          > Andrius Kulikauskas, Minciu Sodas, http://www.ms. lt, ms@...
          >
          >> Hello all
          >>
          >> Hope that all of you are well and pushing on with projects nicely we have
          >> been carrying out our projects nicely and more and more participartion
          >> from the public, in this endevour we had asked for computers from
          >> computer
          >> Aid International and they ahve aprroved the request though we have to
          >> raise the shipping costs i am fowarding it to this mailing list so that
          >> we
          >> can be assisted and if any one is in UK cn check this ou for us also,
          >> this
          >> will really help REPACTED to reach it mission of continued citizen
          >> mediaship and health messages to more young people. If you find it
          >> good and want to donate we will appreciate,
          >>
          >> Kind Regards
          >> Dennis
          >> DENNIS KIMAMBO
          >> +254-722-388- 275
          >> PO BOX 17382 20100
          >> Kipchoge Keino Avenue
          >> Nakuru Players Theatre behind Bontana Hotel
          >> NAKURU KENYA
          >> EAST AFRICA
          >> repacted.org

          06:54:00

          Message 4 of 6 , May 12, 2009

            Dear David and All,

            Immense thanks for this excellent info, and I am delighted with this info, in part because Gladys Muhunyo was a KAIPPG volunteer for awhile! So there is a great connectedness, as you know James Onyango, Exec Dir of KAIPPG, and Dennis has been a KAIPPG volunteer too!

            I'm very glad to know Gladys is with CAI, and also to know abt the import fees.  I thought I had heard that the govt had eliminated fees on computers, but from what you've said that is not true. Gladys should know more, and she may have feedback for Dennis on a variety of ICTs-related subjects, including REPACTED's project.

            I love the idea of a Nakuru Digital Village, and the possibility of a loan is great too :))). This concept is something we could explore for different areas of Kenya where MS members are located. As well as how it might connect to the Sneakernet project.  And could we use this concept and possibility to create a series of peace centers, about which we had talked last year, and/or to link to KenTel and other Kenya-situated ICTs endeavors?

            I look forward to more conversations abt that here, and to connecting with you by phone too at some point, while you are in the USA! With greatest blessings and all best wishes, Janet

            > Thank you for alerting us that your community theatre activist
            > organization REPACTED http://www.repacted .org in Kenya has been approved
            > for a shipment of computers from Aid International.
            >
            > How many computers will you receive? How do you plan to use them? How
            > much do you need to pay in all for shipping, inspections, taxes and
            > duties? Is it possible for you to sell some of the computers or to keep
            > them in different locations (such as Nairobi, Kisumu, Eldoret and Rusinga
            > Island)?
            >
            > It might be possible for us to pool our resources. What do you think?
            >
            > Also, thank you for helping us research and engage UK online communities
            > http://www.worknets .org/wiki. cgi?UKOnlineComm unities
            > on behalf of Mornflake http://www.mornflak e.com and their online video
            > competition http://www.mornflak ecompetition. com I ask Minciu Sodas
            > participants (and others) in Kenya to contact you +254 722 388 275
            > regarding training because we need more help for this paid work.
            >
            > Andrius
            >
            > Andrius Kulikauskas, Minciu Sodas, http://www.ms. lt, ms@...
            >
            >> Hello all
            >>
            >> Hope that all of you are well and pushing on with projects nicely we have
            >> been carrying out our projects nicely and more and more participartion
            >> from the public, in this endevour we had asked for computers from
            >> computer
            >> Aid International and they ahve aprroved the request though we have to
            >> raise the shipping costs i am fowarding it to this mailing list so that
            >> we
            >> can be assisted and if any one is in UK cn check this ou for us also,
            >> this
            >> will really help REPACTED to reach it mission of continued citizen
            >> mediaship and health messages to more young people. If you find it
            >> good and want to donate we will appreciate,
            >>
            >> Kind Regards
            >> Dennis
            >> DENNIS KIMAMBO
            >> +254-722-388- 275
            >> PO BOX 17382 20100
            >> Kipchoge Keino Avenue
            >> Nakuru Players Theatre behind Bontana Hotel
            >> NAKURU KENYA
            >> EAST AFRICA
            >> repacted.org

            06:54:00