Fw: Computer Aid International ref 48296/1 REPACTED - Kenya

  • Denis Kimambo
    Message 1 of 4 , May 11, 2009

      Hello all

      Hope that all of you are well and pushing on with projects nicely we have been carrying out our projects nicely and more and more participartion from the public, in this endevour we had asked for computers from computer Aid International and they ahve aprroved the request though we have to raise the shipping costs i am fowarding it to this mailing list so that we can be assisted and if any one is in UK cn check this ou for us also, this will really help REPACTED to reach it mission of continued citizen mediaship and health messages to more young people. If you find it good and want to donate we will appreciate,

      Kind Regards
      Dennis
      DENNIS KIMAMBO
      +254-722-388-275
      PO BOX 17382 20100
      Kipchoge Keino Avenue
      Nakuru Players Theatre behind Bontana Hotel
      NAKURU KENYA
      EAST AFRICA
      repacted.org

      From: Patricia Del Rio <patriciadr@computeraid..org>
      To: repactedkenya@...
      Date: Friday, May 8, 2009, 8:24 AM

      Dear Michael,

      Thank you for your application dated 04/05/2009 for computers from Computer Aid International.
      I am pleased to inform you that your application has been assessed and has been approved by
      us subject only to receipt of proof of your non-profit status and receipt of payment of the handling
      fees and shipping costs detailed in the attached pro-forma invoice.

      Once the indicated funds clear into our London bank account your computers will normally be at
      sea within 21-28 days.

      It is important that your organisation understands the requirements of your local customs and excise
      in order to be able to bring the computers in to Kenya.  Where Computer Aid International arranges for
      shipping we will ensure that computers get to Mombasa or Nairobi freight terminal and we will supply
      the shipping documents and gift certificate.  Kenya requires imports to have a pre-shipment inspection..
      Please contact Intertek Nairobi to see if you would require inspection or be exempt. You can contact the
      Nairobi office of Intertek on Tel: + 254 20 444 9132,  Fax: + 254 20 444 9212 or website:
      There is a new added cost that the kenyan government is adding for the clearance of computers,
      this is 25% of the total amount of the original invoice.

      In order to complete our assessment process we need you to send us evidence of your 'not for profit'
      status, such as copies of your organisation's certificate of registration and letterhead. We would also be
      happy to receive a more detailed descriptions of the work of your organisation and the use the computers
      will be put to within your organisation. Please send this additional material before your payment for the
      requested computers.

      Please quote your demand reference number 48296 with any further correspondence. Please also
      check that the correct freight terminal has been named on your Proforma Invoice.

      Currently the minimum specifications that we supply in every order are:

      100% Pentium 4 or equivalent PCs with:
      a minimum of 256 Mb RAM
      between 1.4Ghz – 3.0Ghz+ processors (AMD – XP+ processor, Celeron – 1.5Ghz+ processor)
      between 20Gb and 100Gb+ hard disks
      100% of P4s have CD-ROM or DVD Drives
      100% of machines will have either a USB port or floppy disk

      Each machine is a full system - boxed and securely packaged complete with its own colour monitor, keyboard,
      mouse and cables.

      Power plugs are UK standard (three square pins) and so in many countries you will need to replace them
      with standard local plugs.

      Included with the Proforma Invoice is a copy of Computer Aid International's Terms and Conditions as
      well as current Technical Specifications for your reference.

      Regards,

      Patricia Del Rio
      Administrative Assistant (Trilingual)
      Computer Aid International

      Tel: +44 (0) 208 361 5540
      Fax: +44 (0) 208 361 7051
      Email:
      patriciadr@...
      Website: www.computeraid.org
      Registered Charity no. 1069256
      10 Brunswick Industrial Park
      Brunswick Way,  London,  N11 1JL
      Computer Aid International is the world's largest and most experienced not-for-profit
      provider of professionally refurbished PCs to developing countries.
      We have provided over 135,000 computers to educational institutions and
      not-for-profit organisations in 107 different countries since 1997.
      Computer Aid provides only high-quality Pentium 4 PCs.
      Disclaimer:

      This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named.
      If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
      Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake
      and erase this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be
      guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost,
      destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.
      The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents
      of this message which erase as a result of e-mail transmission.
      This message is provided for informational purposes and should not be construed as a
      solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or related financial instruments.

      This message was sent from a Pentium 3 PC professionally refurbished by Computer Aid International

    • graham
      Message 2 of 4 , May 12, 2009
        Hi Dennis,

        I cannot comment on the offer but have I have done a search on the Pentium 4 PC.

        As I expected it consumes over 300 watts which is a lot of power!
        Will you be able to afford the running cost?

        You might be better off, in the long run, with more modern laptops which can work
        on as little as 5 watts! And they don't fail from dust ingress!

        Graham

        ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ___
        ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ______
        Disclaimer:

        This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named.
        If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
        Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake
        and erase this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be
        guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost,
        destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.
        The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents
        of this message which erase as a result of e-mail transmission.
        This message is provided for informational purposes and should not be construed as a
        solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or related financial instruments.
        ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________

        This message was sent from a Pentium 3 PC professionally refurbished by Computer Aid International

      • Jeff Buderer
        Message 3 of 4 , May 18, 2009
          Graham,

          Good advice but I was not aware p4s consume that much power. Where did you get that statistic?

          Mini Mac can be gotten for 400 dollars and it consumes on average 20 watts that is one of the most energy efficient desktops

          Laptops as I understand consume from 5 to 35 watts.

          We have set up NComputing thin clients that consume around 10 watts per unit.

          Jeff

          Message 4 of 4 , May 18, 2009
            Hi Jeff,

            I just googled Pentium P4. It was no surprise!
            Personally I find it irresponsibe to land such old PCs on gullible people.

            As you say the latest m/cs use very little power and the laptops can be solar-charged
            with pv modules costing a few dollars.

            Graham