We start to engage UK online communities

    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2009
      Leon, Joanne, Sasha, Thomas, Masimba, Fred and all,

      I've built some scripts for our wiki with which I can make batch
      changes. For example, I've added
      * UKOCContact =
      to each of the pages for the UK online communities.

      And I've also added Joanne's instructions
      * UKOCMornflakeVideoContest =
      and you can see the list here:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?UKOCMornflakeVideoContest

      You'll see Joanne has indicated either:
      * ApproachEngage - which means that she will approach them regarding the
      online video contest and we can also engage them regarding food stories
      * OnlyApproachForFoodStories - which means that we approach them to help
      promote their food stories and we mention Mornflake only by way of
      explanation
      * DoNotApproach - which means that we should not approach them because
      Joanne (and I and we) think they are not interested and so it's
      counterproductive. They can approach us through our wiki.

      We'll use this same field to indicate who of us engaged them (often the
      person who added them) and the outcome so far, with links.

      For example:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?GlobalSwadeshi

      * UKOCMornflakeVideoContest = May 6, Andrius added ShopWithUs link
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Masks and MyFoodStory link
      http://www.myfoodstory.info/view.php?pagepath=New2144 and left a couple
      of messages for founder VinayGupta but received no response so far
      http://www.globalswadeshi.net/profile/VinayGupta
      * UKOCContact = VinayGupta http://www.globalswadeshi.net/profile/VinayGupta

      Also:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?HolisticHelpingYahoo

      * UKOCMornflakeVideoContest = May 8, JanetFeldman asked that we not
      engage her group.
      * UKOCContact = JanetFeldman

      (Thank you, Janet, for your letter! and I encourage you to register your
      HH domain at your earliest convenience and assign ns.elnet.lt and
      ns2.elnet.lt as the DNS name servers and we'll host for free your
      website in the Public Domain.)

      Every such response, favorable or not, is important to register through
      the pages. It shows people that we're caring and respectful. We want
      to reflect well on Mornflake and everybody.

      Here's a response that we received so far about our directory:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?UKOnlineCommunities
      CraigBellamy: Thanks for this wonderful list. I have found it most
      useful and will blog it!
      http://www.craigbellamy.net
      Craig studies "digital humanities developments".

      Next steps for us now are:
      * Sign up for communities that Joanne encourages us to engage and that
      interest you.
      * Edit the UKOCMornflakeVideoContest metadata for the page for each such
      community so that we know what you're doing (just like I did above).
      * Look for their food stories and share some at My Food Story
      http://www.myfoodstory.info you can add them here:
      http://www.myfoodstory.info/add.php
      and the password is MinciuSodas
      * Look for their services that you think are positive and add them to
      our ShopWithUs directory http://www.shopwithus.org by adding metadata *
      ShopWithUs = ... at any of our wiki pages.
      * Make a profile page at their site where you write about your interests
      and also include your work to help Mornflake http://www.mornflake.com as
      a participant in Minciu Sodas http://www.ms.lt
      * Consult with me before you start to engage them.

      We need to engage at least 100 communities and we can do many more.

      You can start with communities where you are already active or which you
      already know, even if they are not based in the UK.

      This will take some practice.

      Let's go! and stay in touch through letters, our wiki and our chat room
      http://www.worknets.org/chat/

      +370 699 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania