Response to Andrius: Companies, Commerce, and Cultures

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 26, 2009
      Dear Andrius and All,

      Thanks for your thoughtful letter, and for a better understanding of how you
      see what we might be doing, as well as your idea of the meaning of the words
      we are using.

      What I will say in response is that we have different definitions of
      "endorsement" and "promotion" in some respects. I looked them up in the
      dictionary, to compare them to my own sense of their meaning. Endorsing
      something or someone basically means to "give approval" of it.

      Promoting something means several things: to support actively, to help
      forward, to sell and/or publicize. Promoting something is often linked to
      endorsing it (implicitly or explicitly), ie "I approve of this and therefore
      I will tell others about it".

      I think we are getting enough of a sense of Mornflake as an company to
      explicitly or implicitly approve of who they are, and/or what they are
      trying to do. And to build on that approval to--perhaps at some point, when
      all parties agree--promote the "company", especially its values and goals.
      We would most likely not be involved with an arms manufacturer, for the same
      reasons.

      Endorsement here simply means: "we think you're on a positive path and we
      would like to be part of that, and/or help you move forward on that path in
      some way". For a company we feel that way about, one that reflects the
      overall values of our "culture", we might be willing to take the next step,
      which would be promoting it, ie actively supporting it in some capacity.

      But what about its products? Most of us know nothing about them, nor will
      we, until they become available internationally. I'm concerned about us
      trying to promote (actively support or sell/publicize) "products" of which
      we have no real (experiental) knowledge. This applies to Mornflake now, but
      is equally applicable to all such situations in future.

      Promoting something is often, in the public's mind, akin to endorsing it, ie
      giving it our approval. So people will most likely think that we must have
      some basic approval of the company or product, if we are promoting it,
      because we are not an advertising agency (where it is more clear that
      someone is getting paid to promote something, whether or not they believe in
      it).

      I'm not just concerned about what we know, and think, and do...I am also
      concerned with how it is perceived by others. Especially as that might
      affect us as individuals, orgs, and as a whole culture.

      In our common work to date, and for so many of us as individuals, we are
      striving to align as much as possible our values and behavior, what we
      think-feel-believe and what we do. This is "soulwork" too, so what I am
      bringing up relates to that (you have mentioned this in the same light).

      In this respect, a "company"--which is made up of individuals, one of our
      focal points--seems to me a better fit for our own culture to endorse,
      promote, and work with than a "product". And promoting something--a company
      more than a product, at least as I see it--will also have a link to
      endorsing it, because if we cannot approve of it (the company or the
      product), we should not be promoting it (at least in my view of our culture
      and its focus on particular values).

      Again, that's one reason I'm focusing on the company: we may know enough
      about the company--Mornflake in this instance--to endorse and even promote
      it (ie "this is a good company, in our view, so please consider checking out
      its products"). But we don't collectively know enough about its products to
      promote them (ie "buy this cereal, it tastes great"). Nor is Mornflake
      asking us to do so.

      I will leave this here for now, because I know time is of the essence in
      this research work. I also do not mean to sound critical or to be a
      "spoiler". I do strongly think and feel that this "commercial" territory, as
      Franz put it at GV, is something we need to discuss, and even be wary of,
      for the reasons already stated. A lot, in my view, is at stake for our
      culture. But I fully support the research, and what we might do--and
      ourselves gain--by working with Mornflake as a company.

      With greatest thanks and blessings to all, Janet