Joanne Jacobs guides us in our UK online community research

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2009
      Joanne, Thank you for joining us at Voiceful. You'll be guiding us as the
      community manager for the Mornflake video contest.

      I share your letter there and with a few other groups where we're working
      on the UK Online Community Directory
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?UKOnlineCommunities
      thanks to Leon Benjamin of The Law Firm, which is organizing this work to
      support the Mornflake video contest.

      I note your direction which I include at the page above. I also note your
      blog http://joannejacobs.net by which I think you're a great example of
      an "independent thinker".

      Welcome!

      skype: minciusodas
      +370 699 30003

      Hi Andrius,

      Thanks for the invitation to the voiceful group. I am happy to provide
      you with some direction there.

      I understand that you are trying to develop a UK Community Directory, but
      for the purpose of this project and for the hours you are devoting to this
      contract, please would you restrict your focus to the areas I have
      specified.

      I think the following programme of work makes sense for this project:
      1. Identify all regional and County-specific groups in the UK (starting
      with the broad regions of London, South-East, South-West, East-of-England,
      East Midlands, West Midlands, Wales, Yorkshire and the Humber, North West,
      North East, Scotland and Northern Ireland, and then narrowing down to
      specific Counties - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_counties), and
      identify groups that are focused on those regions/Countries.
      2. Identify all existing universities in the UK with programmes in
      Creative Advertising, Film and Television studies and Multimedia
      production, and find online groups and mailing lists associated with these
      programmes. Identify key persons associated with these lists (ie:
      influencers, mailing list owners, etc). Do not attempt to sell them the
      product at present. (This is the group we will target for the advertising
      competition.)
      3. Identify all digital production agencies and advertising startups
      registered as businesses in the past 12 months, and get the names and
      contact details of business development agents in these firms. (Again
      this is a group we will target for the advertising competition.)

      The above three groups should be identified by the end of this month.

      For the remainder of the period in which you are engaged, I would choose
      for you to work on identifying the following groups, and becoming members
      of these communities:
      a. Rural interests and clubs and societies for country associations;
      b. British investment groups and British interests groups;
      c. Nutrition groups and societies;
      d. Health, fitness and exercise communities, and groups;
      e. Energy and conservations clubs, societies and groups;
      f. Cooking groups and recipe groups.

      Please avoid all religion and human rights groups. It would be both
      unethical and inappropriate to target any of these groups. Technology
      groups should only be accessed where video production is central to their
      interests (ie: a Linux group is entirely inappropriate).

      Where targeted marketing will occur we will use a 'white hat' approach,
      and will not be spamming the communities with marketing messages, but
      rather providing an opportunity to engage with the competition, and
      linking to further information on the product.

      Hope this makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions on the above.
      Thanks and kind regards,
      Joanne Jacobs
      Joanne Jacobs, London Based Social Media Expert Consultant
      Phone: 020 8144 9348 | Mobile: 07948 318 298
      Web: http://www.joannejacobs.net/ | TwitterID: @joannejacobs | SkypeID:
      bgsbjj
      Adjunct Associate Professor, Creative Industries, Queensland University of
      Technology

      ----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrius Kulikauskas" <ms@...>