Re: Let's start our research of UK Online Communities

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21, 2009
      Fred Kayiwa added his first record to our database of UK Online
      Communities. He created the wiki page:
      and it appears on our list at:

      Similarly, I ask us all who'd like to participate to start work! I
      suggest that we each pick a type of community.
      * Fred is working on "football" online communities.
      * Sasha: ecovillages, beekeeping, farming...?
      * Samwel: sustainability, ecotourism...?
      * Dennis: HIV/AIDS, theater...?
      * Kennedy, James: video, African diaspora...?
      * Rachel: peace, activists...?
      * William: computers...?
      * Josephat: human rights, education...?
      * Edward: schools...?
      Please let us know which category you will start with.

      I include my chat with Fred Kayiwa.

      AndriusKulikauskas: Hi Fred, good morning!

      Fred: Goodmonring Andrius :: am having few time here :: then will go to
      school :: can u teach me some thisngs

      AndriusKulikauskas: Yes Fred :: So you see how to find UK online
      communities :: for example you can Google the words: UK Football online
      community :: and then you can create a page for each online community
      you find :: Do you know how to create a wiki page at our wiki? :: You
      found the website http://www.mfcic.co.uk but I don't think it's an
      online community. :: An online community is like TIG, it has a way for
      people to sign up, to interact, to post comments, posts, letters,
      photos, videos, etc. like we do at Miniu Sodas

      Fred: i guess i know if not orgotten some steps

      AndriusKulikauskas: that's ok :: so the first website I find that way ::
      is http://www.footballpools.com :: it is for betting on football in the
      UK :: and they have a community :: and that community is here: ::
      http://community.footballpools.com :: and I create a page for that
      community :: http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?FootballPools

      Fred: ok it is starting to make a difference

      AndriusKulikauskas: if you write a URL like that :: you can make a page
      :: and then you can edit it :: Or if it has "Camel Case", upper and
      lower case letters mixed together :: than you can just write it on any
      page and it will appear as a link. :: The second link in the search is:
      tp://www.grassrootsfootball.co.uk :: http://www.grassrootsfootball.co.uk
      :: and they have a forum :: Can you make a page for them? :: It can be
      GrassrootsFootball or :: it can be Grassrootsfootball

      Fred: ok

      AndriusKulikauskas: let me know how you do

      Fred: let me try :: http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi? :: at the end of ?
      you put the URL

      AndriusKulikauskas: put part of the url, what comes before the .co.uk

      Fred: ok am doing this can u give a look> ::

      AndriusKulikauskas: let me see :: ok now edit the page so that it looks
      like mine: http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?FootballPools

      Fred: http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?GrassrootsFootball

      AndriusKulikauskas: and then it will appear on this list:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?UKOnlineCommunities :: Do you see how I
      did my page (edit it) and you will find: *
      UKOCWebsite=http://www.footballpools.com :: and that's what makes the
      information appear on the page where we need it. :: I see you changed
      the page. :: But make it just like mine. :: With the "equations" :: *
      UKOCWebsite=http://www.grassrootsfootball.co.uk :: Hi Fred how are you
      doing? :: you are getting there, almost! :: Edit it one more time and
      eliminate the spaces in front of the equations. :: And then it will be

      Fred: I cant see your posts any more :: in the chat :: will cath u later

      AndriusKulikauskas: Hi Fred :: are you still there? :: You almost got it

      Fred: can u see me now?

      AndriusKulikauskas: just eliminate the spaces in front of the equations.
      :: yes I can :: if you eliminate the spaces in front of the equations
      then :: they will appear in this list:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?UKOnlineCommunities :: Do you
      understand me?

      Fred: ok am re doing it now ::

      AndriusKulikauskas: Hi Fred :: Hi :: Hi

      Fred: its done man :: check now :: am i there bow

      AndriusKulikauskas: Hi Fred :: did you see my message :: that you should
      now delete the spaces in front of the equations :: and then it will show

      Fred: what is Equations in this case

      AndriusKulikauskas: Hi Fred

      Fred: ?

      AndriusKulikauskas: Hi Fred :: Now you fixed it, great! :: and now it
      appears on our list:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?UKOnlineCommunities :: Wonderful! so
      you know how to do it now. :: Can you do more like that? :: We need
      "online communities". Can you do more like that? :: Can you make more
      like that? :: That would be great. :: You see it appears now on our
      list: http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?UKOnlineCommunities

      Fred: i can do more Andrius :: but starting next week :: when i have no
      exams on the all week :: so can i go to scool now sir?

      AndriusKulikauskas: Bye Fred

      Dennis Kimambo, Sasha Mrkailo, Tomas Cepaitis, Samwel Kongere, Edward
      Cherlin - our team leaders - and also, Fred Kayiwa, Rachel Wambui Kungu,
      Josephat Ndibalema, William Wambura, Kennedy Owino, James Njunge, please
      whenever you are online, go to our chat room
      http://www.worknets.org/chat/ and let's start our research of UK online

      Our first goal is to make a list of 500 online communities whose
      participants are mostly or frequently from the UK.

      A good place to start is the list that I made here:
      of the most popular websites that end in .co.uk
      I got this list from http://www.alexa.org
      Many of the top websites are actually community websites. We should
      indicate those in bold, like I have for http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk

      (I note that the Alexa ranking is a good, straightforward way to judge
      the amount of participation in an online community. They give a free
      list of the top 1,000,000 websites in the world.)

      You can also look for a certain kind of website. For example, Fred
      Kayiwa will look for UK football online communities.

      For each website we'll create a page like this:
      and then they will appear on our list at:
      and we'll also be able to create reports as needed based on the data.

      I've also started a list of pages for our research:

      I spoke with Samwel. I will be receiving a wire transfer reimbursement
      from COMMUNIA this week and as soon as it arrives I will send that out
      to our team. (I have accounts in the US and in Lithuania and so that
      works out best for my cash flow.)

      See you online! We need to work quickly! At the chat room we can
      divide up our work and I can teach us all what to do.

      If you would like to join us, then please come to our chat room!

      +370 699 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania