Re: [mendenyo] We need substantial help anyway!

  • David mutua
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 13, 2009
      Hi Sam,
      I am overwhelmed by your idea on reduction of rural - urban migration through the use of sustainable income generating farming/Agriculture or agribusiness.

      Similar projects by several agricultural organisation like the CGIAR members in partnership with other organisations promoting agribusiness and food security have enganged communities into such projects from through research work. May be it will be a good start to look for some of this information and pick what seems to work in area or for your group, probably some possible support too - try and see if COL has anything related to your project this year, they sponsored the project via the COL PROTEIN 2007 same time with us when we did the Teacher Talking and the Winneba Open Digital Village, in Ghana. Janet and Pam can advisor more too.. I also did a COL/ IITA sponsored ICT enabled agribusiness project in Nigeria, if you want can share with you and see what works in your community.

      ICTs for agriculture and rural development in Kenya

      Kenyatta University is government-sponsored university in Kenya with more than 21,000 students. Through this project, the university seeks to reduce poverty among peasant farmers in Kakamega District in Western Kenya. Some 75 percent of farmers in this area live below the poverty line. The main reasons are lack of knowledge and information. The university is working with local partners to develop an agricultural knowledge ICT centre that will use computers, television, telephones and radio to deliver agricultural information to farmers and their families, enhancing their ability to access better markets and prices for their produce. Poor farmers and young women will benefit from the market information centres, access to jobs and income-generating activities.

      Think of anything that is also environment friendly like biogas business for household and small traders energy use such as lighting, cooking and preserving perishable food (vegitables, fish and meat) in rural community like Rusiga where fish has to be preserved using traditional methods like smoking that is not quit hygienic and lowers the value of the product.

      Lets discuss further for more ideas and possibilities..

      Regards,

      David

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 15, 2009
        Dear David and All,

        Hello and wonderful to hear from you, including this excellent and detailed advice to Sam. I do not see a grant opportunity yet for COL-Protein, and I am surmising they may wait till 2010. I have some knowledge of the person taking the place of Krishna Alluri, who was instrumental in helping some of us in Kenya (GRASSUP and other initiatives) and Nigeria, so at some point we might be able to make links with him for further discussions.

        Below is also the url for CGIAR programs in Kenya, very much focused on crops research and sustainable agriculture. Kenyatta University would also be a great connection. I do not know anyone there:  does anyone in these forums?  Hopefully Benter Oballa, who is with the Ministry of Agriculture and posted the other day for Tom Ochuka, will have some ideas.

        I'll try to think of more and be more helpful if I can. David, are you in the USA yet, by the way?  It would be great to talk sometime!

        With all best wishes and blessings, Janet

> [...]

        > attitude.
        > Samwel
        >
        > ------------ ---------
        >
        > Dear Sam and All,
        >
        > Very sad to hear about this! You are eloquent as
        > always, clearly
        > communicating the need for change. This needed
        > change must be local as well
        > as national and global. How can we as a group
        > address this?
        >
        > The themes of rebirth and transformation are surely
        > pertinent now, so in
        > that way Easter is as powerful as ever both as a
        > concept, and as an event
        > worth celebrating, albeit in a reflective way.
        >
        > The changes needed are in part structural, while
        > others--as you say--are
        > attitudinal, both on the part of those at the
        > grassroots, and on the part of
        > the rest of the world.
        >
        > With thanks for this perspective and greatest

      • Benter Oballa
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 16, 2009
          Hi Sam,Tom and others.
          I'm happy to learn of what Sam intend to do in sustainable Agriculture.I know KARI has a programm called ATIRI where where farmer groups are involveed in research undertaking this includes both production and value addition. I once did  a proposal for two groups and they were funded so I'll try to get more information then  I'll let you know.Mean while the ministry of Agriculture in your respective division should be able to offer you trainings on sustainable Agriculture, this might not be enough since the ministry does not fund any project but  I believe with knowledge and skills the famers are better off as you try to get some funding.