Sam: Thanks for Your Wonderful Letters!/some questions abt your farming project/Thanks to Steve B too!!!!

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13 11:39 AM
      Dear Sam and All,

      I have been reading all of your wonderful and thought-provoking letters, like the one below about values, and am delighted that the Africa Source event you attended a few years ago--which I vividly recall--was so helpful to you!  It was definitely worth the time and investment!

      I recall that someone else who helped get you there was Steve Bosserman, who was following the discussion about your attendance and donated his earned funds from work on the Chocolate Project to help make it possible.  A HUGE thanks to Steve for his kindness and generosity!!

      On what you have said below, there is an expression:  "there are many paths to God".  The same can be said of values, and needs, and the routes we take to sustain and nurture ourselves, others, our communities, and our world. Not everyone has the same values, not everyone has the same needs. Some people are more open and want to work openly; others, for a variety of good reasons, prefer to work more privately.

      All of these approaches and differences are part of the "diversity" in "unity".  Each has merit and can contribute to the whole in some way that is meaningful.

      I love the way you are applying what you are learning, and cherish your values, hopes, and dreams, which revolve so much around helping yourself and others. The story of the two children is like a parable:  there are lessons in it for all of us. Thank you for the generosity of your caring and sharing, as this helps all of us to grow!

      I have also copied below your latest note, about creating a sustainable local farming project with women in your community. I'm wondering what $200-300 would accomplish...can you tell us more?  I think the idea is an excellent one, and these women should indeed be encouraged and helped to see the possibilities.

      I am bit concerned about the "transport" situation, though, which would seem an ongoing challenge, one that requires some brainstorming and outreach to orgs within Kenya that might help.  How are you addressing that on your own farm?  To be truly sustainable, some of these issues will have to be resolved.

      And what do you mean about "cereals"...can you explain further?

      Thanks so much and greatest blessings to you, and for your invaluable work!! Janet

      On 3/27/09, Andrius Kulikauskas <ms@...> wrote:
      > Samwel, Thank you for
      joining us at the COMMUNIA meeting in London and
      > thank you to Prodromos
      Tsiavos and Steve Smithson for the invitation by
      > which we have met in
      person for the first time! a great joy. Thank you
      > also to Janet Feldman
      and all who helped with Greg Wolff's chocolate
      > project, which is how we
      earned the money so that you could attend
      2006.  Andrius Kulikauskas, ms@...

      -----------------------------------

      > Hello
      Andrius,

      > I wish to thank you a great deal for making who i am
      today let me give
      > you some food for thought!
      > Early 2006 January
      you and Janet Feldman sent money to help me attend
      > Africa source II
      meeting at Kalangala my intention and our aim was to
      > find people who are
      interested in knowing there deepest values! A
      > question which they do not
      know answers to but would want to get answer!
      > Yes i went down here in
      search of values from strangers, great. The
      > workshop was having 140
      participants from all over the globe.

      > It has been the most
      inspiring and motivating workshop according to my
      > value; i have ever
      attended in my career; people were free to talk' the
      > organizers, the
      sponsors, partners, delegates, participants, the hosts
      > and even the
      staff from the community, think of even Mark Shurtleworth
      > the honor of
      Ubuntu, who was the main sponsor and financier was amazing
      > man. I had
      all the pleasure i needed.

      > My group was headed by a lady from
      South Africa Called Heather Turner,
      > she was from the creative commons;
      she introduced me to
      > copyright/copyleft phenomenon, what was
      amazing; was that, they wanted
      > everyone to feel wanted because they were
      telling us about migration
      > from Proprietary software  with licenses
      to open Source without
      > Licenses. The opportunity of sharing was high
      mmm! everyone intermingled
      > with each other, fantastic.

      My search was values! Yes my previous volunteering with Christian

      children's Fund  for eight years down the line taught me how sponsors
      > relate to their sponsored children, our letters were sometimes
      adding
      > value to them or not at cases eh!
      >
      > I had taken two
      children to the field one day and wanted to study and
      > understand their
      values. We talked, played, ate together and asked them,
      > what they would
      want to take home with them? At the back of my mind I
      > wanted to know
      their  deepest value and what they care most. One child
      > told me,
      Sam, I will carry my ball and food to share with my sisters and

      brothers, the other said, I will eat everything here because these other

      relatives at home beat me too much; but because I am satisfied I am

      going to keep my portion in my pocket eat it alone whenever i am hungry

      mm! Amazing results.

      > This how public domain ethics and private
      issues interrelate with
      > governments, cultures, nations, corporations and
      individuals, there is
      > always something behind their thinking. One will
      want it openly the
      > other will need it privately. They will always go
      parallel with ideas
      > and policies but not perpendicular to T junction,
      they will never
      > compromise.
      >
      > What do you think?

      Samwel.
      > N/b You can print it if you want
      *************************************
      From Sam 4-13-09

      Thanks for all who are concerned,
      I am encouraging the women and men to stay at their
      home villages and make the farms. When i was going to
      London i asked a handful of women 30 plus; to prepare
      land for seasonal planting, good they have prepare
      land and planted maize, millet, peas and other crops
      for food, wonderful. I may thank God for giving
      rainfall this Sunday of Easter. We have bright sun
      shine today, but when i visited the farms, the
      villagers are worried roads are impassable we are
      dejected we cannot get cereals, the prices is
      escalating, no public transport can reach here. The
      women might not weed their crops due to hunger. If we
      can get between 200$ to 300$ this will be enough
      because i am using them as a model of women who will
      discourage the rural to urban migration,
      sustainabillity though must come from a trial. I am
      making my own farm where horticural is my hope for
      survival. Dearly i am meeting the women tomorrow to
      contribute a secret to support their kitchen need,
      according to them anything consummable is vital and
      this time. Your stretched hand will be helpful. We
      also need containers to harvest rain water.
      More tomorrow after meeting.
      Samwel.
    • Samwel Kongere
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13 6:12 PM
        Ok Janet!
        I had some cereals stored at my wife's store to
        consume while weeding my farm. To get one sack of
        maize (corn) or millet at few stores in mbita is KSHS
        3500.00 and so if the windows numbering 24 can get
        support they will surely work in their farms for a few
        weeks. I am meeting them today.
        Samwel.

      • dorinda moreno
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13 6:12 PM
          Dear Sam, Janet, Ifie and all, am sharing your emotive words as guides
          for a circle of global support that have found themselves in our
          friendship network in one way or another over almost a decade since
          the occupations in the mideast and before that as advocates for global
          peace and sustainable living. perhaps, each receiving this
          inspirational information will subscribe to this forum and also
          forward to others concerned so that we can grow in support of holistic
          survival and end world hunger beyond the crisis affecting our mother
          earth.

          our elders circle is concerned with environmental and food justice,
          world peace, survival, the arts and media, and support for farm
          workers and immigrants throughout the world. our issues are similar in
          the americas as in africa and europe, and receiving these heartfelt
          exchanges gives us hope that together we shall prevail in developing
          mutual assistance for all the global village needs being met and
          becoming bountiful so that together we work to illiminating hunger.

          this forum and information is affirming and we shall do our part in
          passing the 'palabra', word to others that they may be nourished in
          thought and deed.

          our prayers to sister samwel and all who have helped and shall help to
          bring the necessary aid and match her energies and courage. our planet
          needs many more janet's, samwel's, steves, and andrius', and we are
          grateful for your sharing your wise council with us in this forum.
          blessings to all!

          yours in sisterhood,
          dorinda moreno
          elders of 4 colors 4 directions
          fm global/wearetheones

          To: holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, mendenyo@yahoogroups.com
          Cc: socialagriculture@yahoogroups.com

> [...]

          > understand their values. We talked, played, ate together and asked them,
          > what they would want to take home with them? At the back of my mind I
          > wanted to know their deepest value and what they care most. One child
          > told me, Sam, I will carry my ball and food to share with my sisters and
          > brothers, the other said, I will eat everything here because these other
          > relatives at home beat me too much; but because I am satisfied I am
          > going to keep my portion in my pocket eat it alone whenever i am hungry
          > mm! Amazing results.
          >
          > This how public domain ethics and private issues interrelate with
          > governments, cultures, nations, corporations and individuals, there is
          > always something behind their thinking. One will want it openly the
          > other will need it privately. They will always go parallel with ideas
          > and policies but not perpendicular to T junction, they will never

          From Sam 4-13-09

          --
          Dorinda Moreno
          Elders of 4 Colors 4 Directions
          Hitec Aztec Collaborations/FM Global
          We Are the Ones We Have Been Waiting For!
          <fuerzamundial@...>

          Honoring Native America & the Legacy of Richard Oakes. Georgetown,
          California NATURE FEST & KFOK CONCERT, April 25, 2009. This pivotal
          date offers two family-friendly events, and is fast approaching.
          Please Save The Date!
          Reminders:
          *Booth application deadline is Friday, April 3rd. Non-profits free.
          $35 for vendors & fee includes 2 tickets to KFOK Spring Concert.
          *For KFOK Concert tickets contact Mignon, 530-333-0298, and mention
          Richard Oakes & Indians of All Tribes, FM Global shall receive $l for
          each ticket sold in our name. A sell-out concert is expected, so
          please act now. Only $12.50 in advance or 15.00 at the door. Concert
          proceeds to benefit KFOK (Licensed to American River Folk Society, a
          501(c) 3, IRS EIN# 68-0422260).
          *Consider a donation to help cover travel & lodging, Four Directions
          and MexicaAzteca danzantes in helping cover expenses. Make check
          payable to Moreno & Associates, 1130 E Clark Ave #150-126, Orcutt, CA
          93455.
          *Visit our Friends of the Nature Area (FONA) website for more info:
          www.georgetownnaturearea.org
          *Spread the word by forwarding to others who may be interested and/or
          download the new poster from the website and post to your websites and
          community bulletin boards.

          Thanks for your support!

          Gathering "Indians Of All Tribes"
          Honoring Native America and the Legacy of Richard Oakes, Mohawk Warrior

          Call Out for volunteers for DQU cleanup committee, respond to Anamaria
          Argumedo <malinalcihuatl@...>, or
          <FuerzaMundial@...>

          Look for April 4th date for Maestro from Mexico, c/o Anamaria
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 14 1:18 PM
            Dear Dorinda and All,

            Hello and greatest thanks for this lovely and affirming letter! Your spirit
            is alive with hope, joy, affirmation, and purpose, and that will help us all
            so much. You definitely have a handle on "holistic" approaches and
            qualities, and that is both exciting and deeply heartening.

            I and we welcome all cc'd here. Dorinda, if you could pass this along to the
            groups you've referenced--as I am not yet a member--that would be most
            helpful.

            I love the fact that you are part of an Elders circle, Dorinda! Elders are
            so often forgotten, yet they are so essential to keeping the planet going,
            no matter where they are, whether Kenya or the USA, Australia or Latin
            America. You may have noticed that recently we have been discussing in the
            forum the terrible fate of so many older women in Kenya, including those
            killed for being "witches".

            Since Kenya generally has a tradition of respect for Elders, this is even
            more shocking. Yet the treatment of women everywhere is appalling, and that
            is why it is so important to join hands with our sisters--and sympathetic
            brothers (like Samwel, who is a man)--worldwide, both for strength and also
            for action that is more possible with greater numbers and unity.

            You might be interested in a wonderful org I have run across recently, whose
            focus is older people, women in particular: HelpAge International
            (www.helpage.org)

            And arts and media are a strong focus for myself and others here as well!!
            Please see www.actalive.org for some of my other work: ActALIVE is an
            international arts coalition whose members use arts and media to address
            HIV/AIDS and development issues. In Holistic Helping we have a number of
            orgs and individuals using the arts for social-development purposes:
            REPACTED, Voluntary Youth Philanthropists, Nafsi Afrika Acrobats (Kenya);
            Fred Kayiwa and his youth group in Uganda; Zoneziwoh and Actwid Kongadzem in
            Cameroon.

            One interesting linkage between Elders, arts, and Africa is a film that I am
            linked to as an individual and as founder of ActALIVE. It's called "A
            Grandmother's Tribe", and is about Kenyan grandmothers caring for their
            HIV/AIDS-orphaned grandchildren. See more at www.agrandmotherstribe.com.

            This is one reason why Ifie's story and her background in arts, as well as
            links to "Poison Fire", are so inspiring and uplifting to me!

            I notice that you will having a marvelous festival that will include arts
            and music to celebrate nature, in addition to honoring an amazing Native
            American leader. We will surely all be with you in spirit for this weekend,
            and please be thinking of us too, so that we can complete the circle of
            communion and sharing!

            Connections to the Earth, other beings, our universe (and all of the ones
            beyond our own!) are as essential as those we make with other humans, and
            within ourselves. You are doing this in your work already, and we are trying
            to do that here too, so it is a thrill that we have found one another, and I
            and we look forward to making life's journey together now!

            With greatest blessings and lovingkindness, Janet

            questions abt your farming project/Thanks to Steve B too!!!!

            > Dear Sam, Janet, Ifie and all, am sharing your emotive words as guides
            > for a circle of global support that have found themselves in our
            > friendship network in one way or another over almost a decade since
            > the occupations in the mideast and before that as advocates for global
            > peace and sustainable living. perhaps, each receiving this
            > inspirational information will subscribe to this forum and also
            > forward to others concerned so that we can grow in support of holistic
            > survival and end world hunger beyond the crisis affecting our mother
            > earth.
            >
            > our elders circle is concerned with environmental and food justice,
            > world peace, survival, the arts and media, and support for farm
            > workers and immigrants throughout the world. our issues are similar in
            > the americas as in africa and europe, and receiving these heartfelt
            > exchanges gives us hope that together we shall prevail in developing
            > mutual assistance for all the global village needs being met and
            > becoming bountiful so that together we work to illiminating hunger.
            >
            > this forum and information is affirming and we shall do our part in
            > passing the 'palabra', word to others that they may be nourished in
            > thought and deed.
            >
            > our prayers to sister samwel and all who have helped and shall help to
            > bring the necessary aid and match her energies and courage. our planet
            > needs many more janet's, samwel's, steves, and andrius', and we are
            > grateful for your sharing your wise council with us in this forum.
            > blessings to all!
            >
            > yours in sisterhood,
            > dorinda moreno
            > elders of 4 colors 4 directions