Dorinda Moreno on indigenous womens' voices

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2009
      Dorinda Moreno,

      I share your exchanges with Franz Nahrada with two more working groups of Minciu Sodas:
      Holistic Helping led by Janet Feldman
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/holistichelping/
      send a blank message to holistichelping-subscribe@yahoogroups.com to join

      Voiceful led by Rachel Wambui Kungu
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/voiceful/
      send a blank message to voiceful-subscribe@yahoogroups.com to join

      and we also have a group in Spanish:
      send a blank message to minciu_sodas_ES-subscribe@yahoogroups.com to join

      Thank you for your important perspective and support for women's and indigeneous people's issues! Franz moderates the letters to his group, but these other groups don't, except for a participant's very first letter (this keeps out spam). As Franz wrote, whatever group you may write to, if you are forwarding an article, it's always important to write your personal view to explain why this is important to you, and also good is, why might this be important to the group. We are all supporting and encouraging independent thinkers like you!

      +370 699 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania

      -----------------------------
      Hi Dorinda you have just inspired me to write a new piece.

      for previous work please check here

      http://globalvillages.ning.com/page/background-1

      http://www.globalvillages.info/index.php?page=GlobalVillages/Definition
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?GlobalVillages/Importance

      a bigger piece almost finished is here:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?GlobalVillages/VisionTranslationEng

      some more ravings to be found here
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?GlobalVillages/Vision

      you might also look at this short intro shot of the recent oekonux
      conference
      http://openfarmtech.org/weblog/?p=611

      > >also, i would consider writing a piece on these newly established
      > >global links as part of our work developing national and international
      > >sources of empowerment for women especially in the quickly growing
      > >globosphere for the upcoming issue of 'women's institute for freedom
      > >of the press', that has invited our contribution.

      I would very much invite you to consider the rapidly growing global
      villages movement as part of this. Note that we are kind of neighbouring
      and kin to Ecovillages, but our approach is a bit different. We focus on
      global cooperation.

      In terms of womens self-unfolding I have seen great stuff here:
      http://www.ancosan.com/ Also, it is my belief that there is a deeply
      distorted issue of relationship between men and women which must be
      healed: http://www.the-grace-foundation.org/index.php?id=27 and
      reinventing local community is a way to adress this:
      http://www.tamera.org/index.php?id=447 I would welcome very much if you
      help us making global villages emerge rapidly around the world! Franz

      ---------------------------------------

      franz, ok, it doesn't make it more clear, except that i agree an
      introducton makes sense. though, i'd advise that as moderator one must
      be extremely sensitive to merely rejecting. as for me, i've been
      around a long time and can attest that all too often we women as
      individuals and also representing organizations and national/global
      movements are too often guttered by the decision making by men on
      women's issues which can demonstrate a knee jerk tendency in denying
      voice based on slanted or limited view points.

      lets work at not starting out on the wrong footing. i am too
      experienced to accept any domineering perspectives nor belittlement
      based on prejudice and discrimination. please understand my
      appreciation in the profoundly needed forum for bridging efforts for
      exchange across the globe. we agree that this is a priority of
      necessity and survival, and we cannot be silenced. there are too many
      murdered women, especially indigenous and women of color, and this
      forum must deliver on its promise of effective exchange or become
      defeated of this purpose before it even gets off the ground.

      also, i clicked on the link of Minciu Sodas and also need the links
      for 'global village', to review the critieria and goals for better
      understanding of protocol and exchange. i would appreciate it if you
      please send. thank you.

      also, i would consider writing a piece on these newly established
      global links as part of our work developing national and international
      sources of empowerment for women especially in the quickly growing
      globosphere for the upcoming issue of 'women's institute for freedom
      of the press', that has invited our contribution.

      in solidarity and struggle

      dorinda moreno
      elders of 4 colors 4 directions
      we are the ones we have been waiting for!

      -------------------------------

      Hi Dorinda, thanks for the prompt answer.

      > Yes I am a man, and I am the moderator of this list which tries to focus
      > on empowering local communities with global information exchange. I read
      > the posts that I reject, and I do reject quite a lot of them when they are
      > simply crossposts or news items that are not introduced to the community
      > on the base of the theme.
      >
      > I decide these issues alone, although Andrius Kulikauskas who is the
      > founder of the Minciu Sodas community decides sometimes to override my
      > evaluation process with his community news and views.
      >
      > I think the coming together of men and women to shape more cooperative
      > local communities is a very important and decisive step, Of course we are
      > not focused so much on goverment measures like laws on maternity leave or
      > paternity leave, but on things that happen in a more informal way on local
      > level and more on a voluntary base.
      >
      > What would therefore be much more in the focus of Global Villages would be
      > the local initiatives to share childcare, professionalise childcare, take
      > the burden from households by creating more common life maintainance
      > organisations,
      >
      > hope this makes things a bit clearer
      >
      > all the best
      >
      > Franz

      dorinda moreno's reply upon rejection

      please send your criteria for posting... i am new to list, but the below speaks for itself.
      >>are you a man? why was it rejected? did you even read it? who else has
      >>seen this besides yourself, franz?
      >>
      >>dorinda

      RIGHTS: Engaging Men in Gender Equality Efforts

      By Fabiana Frayssinet

      April 3, 2009, Inter Press Service

      http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=46365

      RIO DE JANEIRO, Apr 2 (IPS) - How many men work in day care
      centres, looking after children? How much paternity leave are
      men entitled to? How many government programmes to combat
      domestic violence include violent men themselves as part of
      the treatment? The ball is in the court of national
      governments, and it is up to them to answer these questions,
      according to participants at an international congress on
      gender equity.

      The first global symposium on Engaging Men and Boys to
      Achieve Gender Equity, being held from Monday, Mar. 30 to
      Friday, Apr. 3 arose, in fact, out of the deafening official
      silence on the matter, according to Marcos Nascimento, co-
      director of the non-governmental Promundo Institute.

      Over a decade after agreeing that men's participation is
      essential for "overcoming gender inequalities," governments
      do not appear to have fully taken this commitment on board,
      Nascimento said in an interview with IPS.

      Nascimento belongs to a network of NGOs that address
      masculinity from a feminist viewpoint, incorporating a gender
      perspective.

      Any such initiative is bound to "have greater scope" if it is
      backed by public policies, he said.

      The symposium was organised by the Promundo Institute and
      Instituto Papai (Daddy) of Brazil; the White Ribbon Campaign,
      based in Canada; Save the Children, an international
      organisation; MenEngage Global Alliance, a coalition of NGOs
      and United Nations agencies; and the United Nations
      Population Fund (UNFPA).

      Promundo is working for parliamentary approval of a draft law
      to expand paternity leave for workers from the five days they
      are entitled to at present, to at least a month. Brazilian
      women workers already have the right to six months' maternity
      leave.

      Paternity leave is essential for men to become involved in
      the care of their children, a role traditionally allocated to
      women, activists say.

      "If there are positive role models in a family for caregiving
      by fathers, in future men may turn out to be more gender-
      equitable," Nascimento said.

      The symposium, which has drawn more than 450 representatives
      from 80 countries, aims to establish dialogue between
      different actors, in order to define lines of action and
      foment knowledge and learning from initiatives that have
      already been implemented.

      "We are talking about co-responsibility, which is a key word
      nowadays," said Minister Nilcea Freire of the Brazilian
      government's Special Secretariat of Policies for Women (SPM).

      "Engaging men in the debate on equal opportunities for men
      and women means redistributing responsibilities, so that
      care-giving and household work no longer fall exclusively on
      women's shoulders," the minister told IPS.

      On the first day of the symposium, Freire launched a new
      pilot project on education and responsibility for men who
      have committed violence against women. Developed as part of
      public policies to combat gender violence, it is the first of
      its kind in this South American country of 189 million
      people.

      The project is working initially with a group of 46 men who
      have assaulted women. Without doing away with the penalties
      under Brazilian law for crimes of violence, the new centre
      incorporates activities like group dynamics, workshops, and
      opportunities to reflect on the ideas and values that can
      lead to violence against women.

      Based in Nova Iguaçu, a poor district in Rio de Janeiro with
      high indices of violence against women, the programme is to
      be extended into other regions in the future.

      "The intention is to promote the men's commitment to the
      development of new kinds of interpersonal relationships, and
      to avoid and prevent violent behaviour within the family,"
      Fernando Acosta, the creator of the initiative, told the
      symposium.

      "If men are part of the problem of violence against women,
      they must be part of the solution," Nascimento remarked.

      A report presented by the Special Secretariat of Policies for
      Women indicates that in 2007, 5,760 women were victims of
      violence in this country, mainly at the hands of men.

      Debates are also taking place at the symposium along other
      lines regarded as having strategic importance for promoting
      gender equity, like men's engagement in matters of sexual and
      reproductive health and the prevention and treatment of AIDS.

      Studies presented by UNFPA show that the social construction
      of masculinity is closely associated with risk-taking
      behaviour, creating "an environment where risk is acceptable
      and even encouraged for 'real' men."

      A qualitative research project carried out in nine Latin
      American countries revealed that young men and boys aged 10
      to 24 are "far more concerned with achieving and preserving
      their masculinity than their health."

      This study, according to UNFPA, confirms that the dominant
      ideology underlying masculine attitudes can result in
      "earlier sexual initiation and more sexual partners," less
      intimacy in sexual relationships and a reluctance to use
      condoms.

      The deputy director of UNFPA, Purnima Mane, said that views
      on masculinity need rethinking, not only because the
      behaviour of boys and men affects women and girls, but also
      because men and boys need to free themselves from oppressive
      and stereotyped expectations about their behaviour that are
      harmful to their own health and life, as well as the health
      and life of their male or female partners.

      These behaviours begin in the home, where parents assign
      girls "feminine" tasks - washing the dishes, cooking,
      cleaning, looking after the children – and give boys
      "masculine" ones - cutting the lawn, "using Daddy's tools,"
      and going out on the streets at an earlier age.

      According to Inés Alberdi, the executive director of the
      United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM), these
      social norms and attitudes should be included in reflections
      on masculinity, a concept traditionally framed "in relation
      to (assumptions about) women's inferiority."

      Alberdi, who is on her first visit to Latin America, launched
      the UNIFEM report "Progress of the World's Women 2008/2009:
      Who Answers to Women?" in Rio. To encourage "positive" new
      concepts of masculinity in men and women, the thinking of
      boys and men about fatherhood needs to be focused on "caring,
      closeness and tenderness," she told IPS.

      In Spain, Alberdi's home country, the law provides for
      biological or adoptive fathers to take paternity leave of up
      to 10 weeks, out of the total of 16 weeks of statutory paid
      parental leave, she said. The first six weeks are compulsory
      maternity leave for women after giving birth, but the rest of
      the parental leave period can be freely distributed between
      the couple.

      The head of UNIFEM said another way that the state should be
      "accountable" to women is through "budgets with a gender
      perspective" that redirect public spending.

      She cited examples of health, education, agriculture and
      sanitation policies and small credit funds that are
      particularly aimed at women.

      Alberdi also emphasised the importance of having official
      data, statistics and indicators that are disaggregated by
      gender, as an information base for designing affirmative
      action in the future.

      In the political, labour and business worlds, Alberdi said it
      is necessary to adopt "quota" policies for women's
      participation as a transitory measure designed to promote "a
      balance of power and responsibility" between men and women.

      On average, barely 18.4 percent of parliamentary seats are
      occupied by women worldwide. If the present rate of progress
      is maintained, it could take 40 years to achieve the "ideal
      balance" of between 40 and 60 percent for either sex, she
      said.

      "Spontaneous change is slow," so transitory measures like
      quotas are needed to accelerate the achievement of gender
      balance, Alberdi said.

      Women in positions of power would reinforce the future
      implementation of public policies with a gender perspective
      to create a more egalitarian society, she said, thus
      generating a virtuous cycle for a less machista and sexist
      society. (END/2009)