Re: [mendenyo] Misunderstanding? (money as it relates to our work together)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2009
      Dear Pam and All,

      Thanks so much for taking the time to delineate this carefully and with consideration. It is most helpful.

      I want to add that I too did exactly what Andrius did. I am not saying that so people will think better of me. There are issues to address, as Pam pointed out earlier, for those of us who borrowed beyond our means to pay, saddling us with "burdens" in one sense, even while we feel good about what we accomplished, in part because we did extend ourselves that far.

      I am sharing this with people for two reasons:   a) because I am in about the same boat as Andrius, but I have a different perspective on how/where any monies donated to us should be disbursed (this is not said as a "right" or "wrong", judgment call in any way, it more reflects on gender, differences in approach re "individual" or "collective", and the like)   b) because the true "costs" of anything we do should be acknowledged, in my view.

      The reason for this is that there may be, on the part of some, the idea that funds are as readily available at all times as they were a year ago. Thus a lack of understanding why one may be turned away now, re funds donation--or why donations are so small, relative to last year--with misunderstanding, anger, frustration, and resentment sometimes resulting.

      As a group of people, a "family" in a way, we do need to address and understand the issues and challenges that money presents, for all of us. And those of us who have more immediate access to some money need to address the longer-term costs of borrowing funds we do not have a known way to repay.

      This actually weakens our longer-term work--because there is less funding for other things that might come up, more worry and focus on how to get money to repay debt, and the like--and sometimes creates dubious ethical situations, or at least colors and may even cloud judgment about a particular form of action related to getting money.

      Money is something so needed, and therefore we collectively and individually must address the getting and spending of it. However, it is also something that has a strong corrosive power too, which also must be acknowledged. Even putting aside its corrosive power, it exerts strong influence on us all as individuals and in our collective work.

      These kinds of "misunderstandings" or differences can have a powerful effect for the good--if they are addressed with an eye towards future changes in policy and action--and I hope that is true in this case.  There is no doubt that Andrius would use part of any personal reimbursements obtained for the collective good, even if he defines that as helping "individuals" among us.

      However, sometimes he and I--and others reading this may also relate--need to learn to say "no" in the first place, to be our own best friend. And to separate personal need from collective good, in the very same way that all of those who ask for money or other resources need to do.

      We need to understand the position we are putting each other in by having this relationship--which can be helpful but also fraught--and to see how "challenging" this can for our personal relationships, let alone our work together.

      Thanks again, Pam, for this and so much more, and I hope we can have these discussions 'soonest'!  All best wishes and blessings, Janet