Sorrow for Kenyans and preparing for the worst

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2009
      George Nyongesa,

      I am sad for you and all who knew George Paul Oulu, who were and will be
      inspired for his work for Kenyans and all people.

      Please share our sorrow and concern.

      I note that last year our Pyramid of Peace was blessed by success
      because we reached out to the best of the worst on all sides. I ask
      that we reach out as we did last year rather than withdraw.

      I also ask all who might exercise leadership some awful day in Kenya to
      prepare now and organize how you think best. If anybody doesn't like my
      leadership, then please do foster your own! I will do what I myself
      think best and I encourage us all, likewise.

      +370 699 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/06/AR2009030603059.html?hpid=sec-world

      2 Kenyan Rights Activists Slain
      Pair Had Been Campaigning Against Illegal Killings by Police

      By Stephanie McCrummen
      Washington Post Foreign Service
      Saturday, March 7, 2009; Page A08

      NAIROBI, March 6 -- Human rights groups, U.N. officials and Kenya's
      prime minister on Friday called for an independent investigation into
      the execution-style killings of two Kenyan human rights activists, as
      political tensions are once again rising in this East African nation.

      In what appeared to be an ambush, Oscar Kamau Kingara and John Paul Oulu
      were shot at close range Thursday while their car was stuck or
      deliberately trapped in traffic in downtown Nairobi, witnesses told the
      Associated Press. Two gunmen fled.

      The two activists had been campaigning against illegal killings by
      police and had recently cooperated with a wide-ranging U.N.
      investigation into the matter, including police killings of opposition
      demonstrators after the disputed 2007 presidential election. The
      resulting U.N. report called for the resignation of Kenya's police
      commissioner and the attorney general.

      The two activists, who worked with the Oscar Foundation Free Legal Aid
      Clinic, had issued their own 2007 report on extrajudicial police killings.

      "Any objective observer has to conclude that the police would be prime
      suspects," said Philip Alston, the U.N. special rapporteur on
      extrajudicial killings. "I hope that's not the case, but the only way to
      show that is with an independent investigation."
      ad_icon

      The killings came just hours after a government spokesman, Alfred Mutua,
      accused the Oscar Foundation in a live television broadcast of being a
      front for a violent, cultlike gang known as the Mungiki, which runs
      protection and transportation rackets. The group had staged a major
      demonstration across Nairobi on Thursday.

      The Oscar Foundation has defended Kenyans accused of being members of
      the group and had accused police of summarily executing alleged members
      in a show of government force.

      In late 2007, President Mwai Kibaki was accused of stealing the election
      from opposition leader Raila Odinga and the country degenerated into
      violence. Today, a coalition government that in theory resolved the
      crisis is faltering badly.

      Kibaki and Odinga -- who became prime minister under the deal -- have
      been paralyzed by scandal and disagreements, including on how to
      prosecute police and high-level political figures accused in the
      post-election violence.

      On Friday, Odinga -- who has accused Kibaki of using the police to
      essentially execute opponents after the election -- harshly condemned
      the activists' deaths.

      "I fear that we are flirting with lawlessness in the name of keeping law
      and order," Odinga said. "In the process, we are hurtling towards
      failure as a state."

      The killings came just one week after Alston's report found a pattern of
      police killings in Kenya that were "systematic, widespread and carefully
      planned."

      "You've got a society which is at risk of degenerating again into ethnic
      violence," he said in an interview Friday. "To the extent there are all
      these unanswered allegations about their involvement in the killings, I
      think that is pretty problematic."