What are our Purposes?

  • Kennedy Owino
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2009

      What are our Purposes?

      Dear Chris, Rachel, Janet and All,

      It is good that this issue arises and perhaps it may be important because discussing it in part may serve to answer some of the previous troubling concerns and questions.

      I don’t want to be caught in the middle of a fight; a fight is the least thing I expect.

      Chris, we don’t need to argue to avoid quarrelling but we need to discuss.

      I believe discussing is an exchange of intelligence while argument is an exchange of ignorance.

      Intelligent minds discuss and debate solutions whenever a problem arises.

      Therefore this to me is an important matter to debate on even if not settled than settling it without debating.

      I reckon, in one way or the other it affects those who choose to use the public domain.

      In the past there has been questions regarding usage and protection of intellectual properties.

      What are our territorial limits as far as using and providing information is concerned in respect to the public forum?

      How do we safeguard our privacy when we don’t feel comfortable with the usage of our information,  or past activities.

      Are there guide lines regulating our online conducts within M.S.L?

      How do we know that certain circulating/ posted ideas are copyrighted?

      What are we free to use in another’s copyrighted publication/ database?

      What is the right of publicity?

      What are the aspects that we can guarantee our privacy e.g our persona (names, identity, our personal data and communications at given times)

      Leaving those questions open to ponder; I revert to Rachel’s concerns over the “Peace Safari Caravan” that the Association of Kenyans in Lecce ( Italy ) is planning in collaboration with Nafsi Afrika Acrobats.

      I believe that Communication is the essence of online activities and we also have to understand that most of us here have overlapping interests and activities.

      We may have similar purposes, goals and intentions but ways on which we think to implement our plans may vary.

      The question here is whether our planned project in a way damages  V.Y.P’s (Voluntary Youth Philanthropists) online rights of it’s copyrights.

      The title of our proposed project may sound similar to V.Y.P’s Peace Caravan initiative but I believe that there are many Peace Caravans in the world which no one claims ownership of.

      We have not “stolen” an idea or a name in that matter, ownership is not equated with possession.

      The words Peace Caravan can not be possessed in the same way that a tangible good or properties as a house or can be.

      Chris chose to add “safari” to better explain our purpose avoiding to give our project a title or a name that distorts the meaning.

      Chris has provided our concept in the case statement that he posted.

      The question is, is it in any way a derivative work based upon V.Y.P’s work?

      No, it is in no way a copy of V.Y.P’s Peace Caravan that would require some reproduction rights.

      Is it a new work based on the pre-existing V.Y.P’s work or a revision of the Kenya Peace Caravan that would require public performance rights?

      No, it is not even a translation into another language or a copied version with slight changes.

      Talking of location, the “Peace Safari Caravan” is planned for Europe ( Italy ) and not Kenya .

      I believe that “ideas” cannot be copyrighted. Protection is available only for the “expression” of an idea.

      Accordingly, if a given idea is reduced to a tangible form of expression (which any work must be in order to be eligible for copyright) only the form of expression will be protected; underlying idea may be freely adopted and copied by others.

      Specifically, individual words such as titles and phrases are not copyrightable.

      Would it be rightful if Nafsi Afrika Acrobats were to claim ownership of Pyramid of Peace as people who came up with the title in their initiative response to Kenya violence?

      In an initiative we chose to call Pyramid of Peace,We mobilized Artists from different tribal backgrounds to perform and form Acrobatics human pyramids depicting peace.

      This further developed and helped to preventing a genocide in Kenya after it attracted the participation, input and support of a million other people.

      In my opinion anyone is free to use the names Peace, Caravan, pyramid or safari as long as we don’t “steal” each others expressions used to articulate our purposes.

      Our purpose (Nafsi and Kenyans in Italy ) as in Chris’s case statement are same as V.Y.P’s but it divorces from the context imposed by V.Y.P’s Kenya Peace Caravan.

      I therefore think we are right to do a Peace Caravan in Italy even if V.Y.P were the first to discuss or propose the idea in Kenya .

      However, Janet’s effort to sort the confusion is worth considering.

      Since we all work in the forum, and our activities may be similar, in a cohesive working environment it is worth avoiding issues that may raise conflicts of interest.

      We can not all be the top branches while we spring from the same root.

      Our purpose is to propagate peace through our works, why not think about collaborating our efforts together?

      I know we are independent in our works, we are not in the forum to live up to each others expectations but if we find each other by chance in the forum, it is beautiful.

      I would be happy if Rachel would be open to collaborating with us in our Endeavour.

      Otherwise, It would only be fair if we were to translate the title into Italian say something like” Pace Tourney” or change it to another title say “Peace Journey”.

      Finally, it is important to note that in a network based on public domain, it is important if we know the non copyrightable aspects of our works and not just overlook this.

      There is a time in a life of a problem when it is too big to see yet so small to solve.

      Peace,

      Ken Owino

      Nafsi Africa Acrobats

      www.nafsiafrica.org

      +254723568251

      .

      Peace Caravan, what's in a name?

      Posted by: "Andrius Kulikauskas" ms@...   minciusodas

      Fri Mar 6, 2009 9:18 am (PST)

      Hi Sasha,

      I think it's a matter of inclusion and being supportive of each other.
      How do we work together to include everybody and their contributions?

      Leaders develop ideas and invest in them. My understanding is that
      Rachel Wambui Kungu came up with the idea of "Peace Caravan" and
      organized several of them in Kenya, and they are quite elaborate and
      exciting, I think even with camels, see http://www.peace- caravan.org
      Kennedy Owino and Dennis Kimambo participated in one of them last summer.

      If we all want to work together, then we need to respect people's
      individual investments in bringing to life their visions. Individuals
      share their vision with words like "peace caravan" or "worknet" or
      "holistic helping". We can hurt their efforts if we don't respect their
      words.

      I think it's simplest if we simply keep in touch with each other, as we
      do in Holistic Helping, so that the people most affected, like Rachel
      for "peace caravan", can guide us to the best use of the words. If
      Chris and Kennedy want to organize a "peace caravan" like Rachel does,
      then why not ask her how they might work together? And if they want to
      do something different or separate, then why not call it something new
      that reflects their own vision?

      I think it's the same issue as with Ana Ilic Langudzin's "Baby
      Twister". She designed a lovely baby blanket similar to the
      Milton-Bradley game Twister. Twister is a trademarked name, but more
      importantly, why not find a new name centered on the creativity in one's
      creation? I really like the name "Baby Tumbler" that you came up with.
      It has a great future that's not linked to the commercial game Twister.

      There's many cases where we want to introduce a new idea for all to use,
      and we don't want to trademark it. So that's our goal with the word
      "includer". We'd like to promote the word "includer" as a general name
      for any kind of device that lets people read and write emails offline so
      they can be uploaded and downloaded later.

      Maybe Rachel would like to do the same with "peace caravan". But then
      we should ask her and understand her vision, how would she define it?
      and how can we support her vision? and make sure our work strengthens
      her, too?

      How can we be supportive of Rachel's vision as expressed by her idea of
      "peace caravan"? Or if we're not going to all work together, then what
      is a different name that expresses what Chris and Kennedy will do? And
      if we're not able to work together, then it's very helpful to
      acknowledge that and grow to understand why.

      We can see with the "Pyramid of Peace" that the fact that we have
      conflicting ideas of what that was about, what the underlying values are
      or were, then it's not very good to use that phrase for current or
      future work, but first come up with good names for our different
      approaches, working together and in parallel.

      http://www.ms. lt
      ms@...

      Sasha wrote:
      > I must say that I don't understand this. Peace caravan is your
      idea? I thought those are two words in English language. How can you own a immaterial thing like an idea is?

      From: Janet Feldman <kaippg@...>
      Subject: Re: [holistichelping] Peace Caravan from Kenya to Italy meet/Chris (and Rachel): plz address wording
      To: holistichelping@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, March 5, 2009, 3:08 PM

      Dear All,

      Hello and thanks for your postings. When I first saw the title of this
      endeavor and letter, I thought that Rachel and Chris had linked up together.
      Now I see that is not true.

      Chris, I think you should find another name for your endeavor, as "Peace
      Caravan" is Rachel's idea and the name of her endeavor. You may be doing
      some of the things that a "caravan" might do, but in this case, I think
      perhaps you could use the word "safari", or "tour", or "journey".

      Your initiative itself is excellent, and it would be great to include in
      your plans and advertising some "homage" to the original peace caravan,
      Rachel's. I see that you say below: "peace safari caravan". So perhaps you
      would be better off dropping "caravan", or even changing the name a bit
      more, something like "peace tour".

      Chris, plz respond and let's try to figure out what you can do. I'm sure you
      did not mean to deliberately "steal" someone else's idea, and the words
      "caravan" and "safari" are no-one's exclusive property. We have the
      organizer of the "Peace Caravan" among our members--about which you and we
      have all heard a lot during the past year--so the phrase probably has caught
      your eye and imagination.

      However, your use of the term could easily become confused with the work of
      the Voluntary Youth Philanthropists, and is especially "tricky" as we all
      work together. So for these reasons, please do think of another name that
      captures what you want to convey, though in different words.

      Thanks immensely and blessings to all, Janet