Haba na Haba

  • ERIC WANJAMAH
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2009
      Ken and others, have you been in contact with Haba na Haba?

      Kenyan performance group Haba na Haba to visit Washington University in St. Louis March 13-22

      Troupe that promotes education through the performing arts will participate in events and cultural exchanges

      March 3, 2009 -- The Performing Arts Department (PAD) and the African & African American Studies Program, both in Arts & Sciences at Washington University in St. Louis, will host a residency March 13-22 for a nine-member touring ensemble of internationally known Kenyan performance group Haba na Haba.

      Group members perform acrobatics, music, dance and drama to raise awareness and educate their communities on topics such as HIV/AIDS, drug abuse, reproductive health, women's issues and violence. While here, they will participate in a number of performances and cultural exchanges both on campus and in the St. Louis community.

      Haba na Haba, Swahili for "step by step," describes the approach that some 1,000 performers in the group take in their mission to provide people in Nairobi and outlying areas with information to provoke debate on social issues and healthy alternatives to crime, drugs and other destructive behaviors. Their message is that all things are possible if you take them one step at a time.

      Highlights of the St. Louis residency will include a discussion on theater and social change with a panel including George Ndiritu, the director of Haba na Haba, Carolyn Lesorogol, Ph.D., assistant professor of social work, and others at the George Warren Brown School of Social Work, co-host for the event. The discussion is scheduled at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 18, in Brown Hall Lounge.

      An improvisational performance of Haba na Haba will take place at 4:30 p.m. Thursday, March 19, on the South 40 on the Danforth Campus. All students are welcome to attend.

      Photo by Reynolds Whalen
      The Kenyan performance group Haba na Haba uses theater, music, dance and acrobatics to educate their communities on social issues such as reproductive health, violence and HIV/AIDS.
      Download

      The residency will culminate Friday, March 20, with a work, titled "Co-existence," based on the recent ethnic conflicts in Kenya following disputed elections. The performance, which also will feature WUSTL students, will take place at 8 p.m. in the 560 Music Center, 560 Trinity Ave., in University City. The event is free and open to the public.

      During their stay, the members of Haba na Haba will have the opportunity to learn about life outside of their country. In addition to residing with host families, they will have dinner with members of the St. Louis Kenyan Welfare Association, meet with students who have traveled or will travel to Kenya, visit area schools and participate in WUSTL dance, acting and Swahili language classes.

      "We are truly delighted to be hosting this wonderful performing arts troupe on campus, especially with an American of Kenyan descent having just assumed the American presidency," said Robert Henke, Ph.D., chair of PAD and associate professor of drama and of comparative literature, both in Arts & Sciences.

      Photo by Reynolds Whalen
      In a neighboring Kenyan village, members of Haba na Haba perform a skit about behavior at a sporting event.
      Download

      "The courageous and thought-provoking work of Haba na Haba in some of the most economically challenged areas in and around Nairobi demonstrates ways in which the performing arts can educate people from all walks of life and truly effect social change," Henke said. "Their magnetic capacity to summon and sustain a theatrical audience in village and town squares with their medley of acrobatics, music, dance, and drama can teach westerners that theater, looked at from a global perspective, can be much bigger than the well-lit stage."

      Henke said that Haba na Haba's St. Louis visit came about, in part, through the efforts of WUSTL alumnus Reynolds Whalen, whose honors thesis in PAD included the production of a full-length documentary on the group.

      Whalen, who graduated summa cum laude in 2008 with a double major in drama and African & African American Studies, had seen the group perform in Nairobi during a semester abroad his junior year.

      "The first performance I watched literally changed my life," Whalen said. "It was the first time I had ever seen my two biggest passions—Africa and theater—meet to do something really important."

      "The extraordinary collaboration of Reynolds and Mungai Mutonya, Ph.D., senior lecturer in African & African American Studies and director of the Summer in Kenya Program, has made this residency possible," said John Baugh, Ph.D., the Margaret Bush Wilson Professor in Arts & Sciences and director of the African & African American Studies Program.

      "Their efforts may well inspire other local ventures to enhance health awareness in less fortunate communities. This visit celebrates not only Haba na Haba, but also the outstanding talent of our students," Baugh added.

      For information on classes and workshops, call 935-5858 or e-mail rpnathan@.... For general information, e-mail PAD@....

      EVENT SUMMARY

      WHO: Kenyan performance group Haba na Haba

      WHAT "Co-existence," a performance based on the recent ethnic conflicts in Kenya

      WHEN: 8 p.m. Friday, March 20

      WHERE: 560 Music Center, 560 Trinity Ave., in University City

      COST: Free and open to the public

      SPONSOR: Washington University's Performing Arts Department and the African & African American Studies Program

      INFORMATION: (314) 935-5858 or PAD@...

    • Kennedy Owino
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 10, 2009

        Thank you Erick for this great information.

        I am glad and happy, i greatly admire Haba na Haba project in Mathare slums which as enabled to transform many of the Youths lifes.

        These Youths were before thought to be destined to the abyss of poverty and desperate livelihoods.

        Our paths have crossed and  we have been in some initiatives together with them in a number of occassions.

        Nafsi is also planning a similar project between July and September in Italy; A "Pace  tourney" that will proceed after a Political Camp in Agape Turin.

         This year's theme is -Immigration and Without borders?

        What are the local and global processes that cause migrations? What regional and international treaties and what national policies exist to guarantee the human rights of migrants? What strategies and stuggles can civil society and the social movements adopt to promote migrants'human dignity?

         We will exhibit series of acrobatics performances, workshops, dance, music, fashion and culture aimed at promoting co-existance and advocating for Peace virtues.

        We are collaborating with the Kenyans in Diaspora (Italy) which is chaired by Chris Ouma Pamba

        Chris is a great champion for the rights of Kenya dissidents, immigrants and he have also organised a number of concerts in Europe aimed at developing Youths initiatives in Kenya.

        More details will come later as plans materialise.

        I wish the Haba na Haba Artists best moments while in the U.S.A

        Peace,

        ken owino

        Nafsi Africa Acrobats

        www.nafsiafrica.org

        +254723568251

        Haba na haba

        Posted by: "ERIC WANJAMAH" ewanjamah@...

        Wed Mar 4, 2009 8:01 am (PST)

        rpnathan@wustl. edu. For general information, e-mail
        PAD@.... edu.
        INFORMATION: (314) 935-5858 or PAD@.... edu

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 21, 2009
          Dear Eric and All,

          It's fantastic to hear from you, and my apologies for not getting to this sooner. I didn't know you're in the USA, and would love to hear more about what you're doing and how you're doing!

          And did you get to see Haba na Haba?

          Haba na Haba - Kenya
          This is a community development project of the Mathere Youth Sports Association (MYSA), which promotes community development through Arts and Creative Education in Kenya. The project is organised through “vikundi” or art groups divided into different age groups who use music, dance, drama and acrobatics to share information with the community, and especially the youth, about the challenges they face. By involving the youth the project gives youth the opportunity to express themselves and to develop their artistic potential.

          Contact George Ndiritu hanahaba@...

          Another very interesting, and different, Haba na Haba:  http://www.habanahaba.com. This is a design company that gives some of its profits to projects helping Tanzanian HIV/AIDS orphans.

          In any case, this Haba na Haba is a project of the Mathare Sports Association in Nairobi. I wonder if Ken and Nafsi have been in touch with them, know this association or some of its members, and have worked with them?  Or how about you, Eric?  And anyone else in Kenya:  Dennis, George, Rachel?

          I'm going to post this at ActALIVE (www.actalive.org) too, and please let us know if you run across more projects and activities like this (Eric and all), as I'm always looking for new and inspiring material.

          With greatest thanks and blessings to you and all! Janet

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 22, 2009
            Dear Janet and All,

            The Haba na Haba group has been in St. Louis for almost a week now, they were sponsored by the Performing Arts Department of my school, Washington University and their tour has been very successful this far.

            They staged a performance entitled "co-existence" which is in response to the post election violence in Kenya. They are doing a good job of enlightening people through art on issues like democracy, HIV/AIDS, corruption and so on.

            It was the first time I was linking with the group which is part of MYSA.

            We had a seminar at the Brown school of Social Work with George Ndiritu and I in the panel where we discussed the role of performance groups like Haba na Haba in bringing about change in the society. It emerged from our discussions that such groups have the appeal that cuts across ethic groups, have the ability to act like magnets to attract magnitudes through humour and a time when opposition parties have no voice in Kenya; the groups have a huge role to play in conjuction with the civil society as agents of change.

            In the same spirit, I commend Ken and the Nafsi group; Dennis with Repacted, Rachel and others working with perfomance art in Kenya.

            Eric Ndichu
            St. Louis, MO
            USA

            Contact George Ndiritu hanahaba@mysakenya. org

            For information on classes and workshops, call 935-5858 or e-mail rpnathan@wustl. edu. For general information, e-mail PAD@.... edu.

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 24, 2009

              Dear Eric and All,

              Hello and excellent report, with some wonderful questions and observations about the vital role arts can play in addressing a wide variety of issues, from peace to HIV/AIDS.

              What have you yourself been doing for research and learning while in the USA?  It would be great to hear more about it!  And how long will you be here?  I'd love to talk sometime.

              With blessings and artistic affections to all, Janet

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 26, 2009

                 Dear Janet and All

                Even at the graduate school where academic demands are at their highest not to mention the need to work and raise money for living expenses, I have managed to remain active around social justice issues.

                I have given a number of talks about the Darfur crisis in the state of Missouri; in two Universities, a Hebrew congregation, and a high school in addition to other Darfur related events.  The Darfur crisis is an issue am passionate about and am currently working to organize college students in Missouri to act against the genocide happening there. I am working with the St. Louis save Darfur coalition and I have also received a small grant from America for Informed Democracy to work around the same issue.

                I am graduating in May 2010 and have the option of remaining in the US for one year to work.

                Although I have not been active in this forum, I have been following with interest all the good work and ideas shared by the members of this forum. Keep it up.

                Eric