Re: [holistichelping] Sustainability is a poor teacher!!!

  • Paul Fegan
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2009
      Samwel,

      Sustainability is not a teacher.  It is an education. Sustainability is not a destination.  It is a journey.

      Consider the old maxim "Give a man a fish he eats for a day.  Teach him to fish he eats for life."  What if the man does not like fish?

      There is the story of a European missionary who comes upon a poor man carving wooden bowls with a sharpened stone tool.  The missionary gives the poor man a steel knife that allows the poor man to make his bowls faster.  The poor man comes to the missionary the following day and gives the knife back.  After the missionary explains that the knife is a gift and will help the poor man to rise above his poverty by speeding up his work the poor man gives this explanation.
      "I will work with your knife and it will become dull.  I will need to get a sharpening stone to sharpen it.  You may give one to me or I will buy it.  After a time the knife will wear away.  I will need to come to you to give me a new one or I will have to buy it.  What ever happens this knife will tie me to you and your ways.  To keep this knife I will become your servant or become the servant of knife sellers.  My ways will die and your ways will live in my hands.  My ways are precious to me.  They make me happy and keep my children strong.  To live and die a happy man in the ways I choose I will give you back your knife."

      It is also good to meditate on Mathew 13: 3-9.  The sustainability of the seeds depends on the planters care in sowing them and the preparation of the soil in which they are planted.

      Finally, these words from my old friend:

      "To lead people, walk beside them ...
      As for the best leaders, the people do not notice their existence.
      The next best, the people honor and praise.
      The next, the people fear; and the next, the people hate ...
      When the best leader's work is done the people say,
      'We did it ourselves!'""
      Laozi (Tao Te Ching)

      PF