Sustainability is a poor teacher!!!

  • Samwel Kongere
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2009

      Dear all,

       I am preparing another community focus on Sustainable Local Community Responsible Tourism and Agriculture this year (2009), after 2008 on Female empowerment on Information Communication Technology and Entrepreneurship, I ask myself why? sustainability is a poor teacher? Is success a poor teacher?  Or which is which?

      We learn about ourselves when we fail. So, do not be afraid of failing. Failing is the process of the success. You must have success without failing. So; does it mean; unsuccessful people; are people who never fail? It is not unemployment which matters, it is about who you are’ keep striving you will become somebody. Quit and you become somebody……but you are the same person again; I think it is all about becoming who you are!!!

      My Malaria leader Hibrahim’ usually calls me dog-fool” and encourages me to keep on failing and success is at the conner, this to him, these are funniest words he remained my mentor. A mentor’ is someone who had done what you want to do …….and successful at doing it. Do not find an adviser. I think an adviser is someone who tells you how to do it. Most of the advisers are selfish, ego-centered people. Be careful of the advice you take, you must keep your mind open, always be first aware of which advice is coming from where.

      My mentor Andrius, taught me about systems of independent leadership, thinking, networking in the public domain. A leader has to be a leader of people not a manager of people, why? Managers see their subordinates as inferiors. Leaders must direct people, they are smarter. After I dropped my predicament on volunteer and enclave of unemployment; began researching, networking, contributing my social understanding among other independent thinkers (leaders) on Public Domain issues: I found out that there were sincerely and diligently building successful networks and the globe. When I met these comrades virtually on www.ms.lt and discussion groups, I saw impact of independent thinking on other people’s lives and financial futures. I began to truly appreciate the value of the networking on public domain issues. Anywhere, I was learning to overcome my fears of being rejected and stopped worrying what other people will say about me.

      To learn to lead people, working with different kinds of people
       Hardest thing about success are those who are actually natural leaders. Surely, the ability to get long and inspire is a priceless skill. I found out in MS. Lab. I said “skill can be learned”.

      In conclusion, ongoing long term, educational programs, to develop you as a human being with self confidence is vital on the right side of relevant thinking development of success. I therefore, congratulate the leadership intertwined on the: Accessing, Reusing public sector and data in Minciu Sodas Lab which will continue to upgrade my social and community development background.

       Let us have another thinking day.
      Samwel.

    • Peter Burgess
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2009
        Dear Samwell

        The subject caught my attention ... "Sustainability is a poor teacher!!!"

        I learned something the same when I was growing up ... something along
        the lines that it was not a disgrace to fail, but a disgrace not to
        try. Trying and failing is a critical part of learning ... especially
        as a child, but so also during ones whole life.

        I think it is fair to say that there is much less trying when life is
        comfortable and the status quo is just fine.

        I think it is also fair to say that as a global society we have done
        poorly relative to what should have been possible ... and this is
        something that I find very disappointing. Part of this is because too
        much of what goes on fails ... but nobody knows about it, nobody cares
        or perhaps little can be done about it.

        People talk about accountability and transparency, but as a practical
        matter nobody actually practices accountability and transparency. Many
        things are measured ... sports particularly ... corporate profit ...
        macroeconomic performance (like GNP, employment, etc) and wealth at
        the personal and family level ... but NOT socio-economic performance
        at the community level. Without measurement ... anything goes.

        When there are measures, failure is easy to recognize ... and the
        reasons can be looked into. When a problem is identified it can be
        fixed.

        Malaria burden ... when measured by the amounts now being spent ought
        to be rapidly declining ... but is it? And if it is ... or is not ...
        what are the causes of the changes, if any. Why don't we measure this
        at the community level? What malaria interventions have there been?
        What did these cost (and other details)? What changes have there been
        in the burden of malaria? All this can come from a simple time series.

        This is part of two initiatives that I am working on: (1) Community
        Analytics and (2) Intelligent Malaria Management (IMM) formerly
        Integrated Malaria Management! Together they can come together so that
        there are better results in the community, better allocation of
        available resources and everyone and every institution in the malaria
        industry being held accountable.

        At what point will it be possible for communities to do "intelligent
        malaria management" in a sustainable way? Clearly there are benefits
        in a community from better health ... but does this translate into
        more economic product ... and does this produce enough to make malaria
        interventions affordable? While there is a lot of money flowing from
        Government sources and philanthropy into the malaria industry ... this
        is not an effective solution because it leaves out the community level
        and worse, it is not a sustainable solution. The community must be
        able to afford what it needs ... and know enough to know what it
        needs!

        Best wishes all

        Peter
        ____________
        Peter Burgess
        The Transparency and Accountability Network: Tr-Ac-Net in New York
        www.tr-ac-net.org
        Community Analytics (CA)
        Integrated Malaria Management Consortium (IMMC)
        917 432 1191 or 212 772 6918 peterbnyc@...

        /////////////////////////////////////

        On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Samwel Kongere <jambita1@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > futures. I began to truly appreciate the value of the networking on public
        > domain issues. Anywhere, I was learning to overcome my fears of being
        > rejected and stopped worrying what other people will say about me.
        >
        > To learn to lead people, working with different kinds of people
        > Hardest thing about success are those who are actually natural leaders.
        > Surely, the ability to get long and inspire is a priceless skill. I found
        > out in MS. Lab. I said “skill can be learned”.
        >
        > In conclusion, ongoing long term, educational programs, to develop you as a
        > human being with self confidence is vital on the right side of relevant
        > thinking development of success. I therefore, congratulate the leadership
        > intertwined on the: Accessing, Reusing public sector and data in Minciu
        > Sodas Lab which will continue to upgrade my social and community development

      • Samwel Kongere
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2009
          Peter,

          You are very right at your suggestion, when i was in Ghana Winneba University  June 2008: a presenter from the western world said "people talk of, where is your sustainability" Like what is your sustainability strategy?, to them donors, it must appear in your proposal to get funding on paper but not at community grass-root level! The problem is still the same, famine, diseases, poor infrastructure, etc.Where is the good papers of accountability and transparency?

          Surely Sustainability is a poor teacher!
          Samwel.

          On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Samwel Kongere wrote:

> [...]
          > futures. I began to truly appreciate the value of the networking on public
          > domain issues. Anywhere, I was learning to overcome my fears of being
          > rejected and stopped worrying what other people will say about me.
          >
          > To learn to lead people, working with different kinds of people
          > Hardest thing about success are those who are actually natural leaders.
          > Surely, the ability to get long and inspire is a priceless skill. I found
          > out in MS. Lab. I said “skill can be learned”.
          >
          > In conclusion, ongoing long term, educational programs, to develop you as a
          > human being with self confidence is vital on the right side of relevant
          > thinking development of success. I therefore, congratulate the leadership
          > intertwined on the: Accessing, Reusing public sector and data in Minciu
          > Sodas Lab which will continue to upgrade my social and community development

          <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
          mailto:learningfromeachother-digest@yahoogroups.com
          mailto:learningfromeachother-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Paul Fegan
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2009
            Samwel,

            Sustainability is not a teacher.  It is an education. Sustainability is not a destination.  It is a journey.

            Consider the old maxim "Give a man a fish he eats for a day.  Teach him to fish he eats for life."  What if the man does not like fish?

            There is the story of a European missionary who comes upon a poor man carving wooden bowls with a sharpened stone tool.  The missionary gives the poor man a steel knife that allows the poor man to make his bowls faster.  The poor man comes to the missionary the following day and gives the knife back.  After the missionary explains that the knife is a gift and will help the poor man to rise above his poverty by speeding up his work the poor man gives this explanation.
            "I will work with your knife and it will become dull.  I will need to get a sharpening stone to sharpen it.  You may give one to me or I will buy it.  After a time the knife will wear away.  I will need to come to you to give me a new one or I will have to buy it.  What ever happens this knife will tie me to you and your ways.  To keep this knife I will become your servant or become the servant of knife sellers.  My ways will die and your ways will live in my hands.  My ways are precious to me.  They make me happy and keep my children strong.  To live and die a happy man in the ways I choose I will give you back your knife."

            It is also good to meditate on Mathew 13: 3-9.  The sustainability of the seeds depends on the planters care in sowing them and the preparation of the soil in which they are planted.

            Finally, these words from my old friend:

            "To lead people, walk beside them ...
            As for the best leaders, the people do not notice their existence.
            The next best, the people honor and praise.
            The next, the people fear; and the next, the people hate ...
            When the best leader's work is done the people say,
            'We did it ourselves!'""
            Laozi (Tao Te Ching)

            PF

            http://www.surveymo nkey.com/ s.aspx?sm= 5VvLrzLaXHc0i_ 2bh5XdOTxA_ 3d_3d