Re: [mendenyo] Our focus for the Lake Victoria region 2009/Sam and All: My Edits

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 26, 2009
      Dear Sam and All,

      Great to read more abt this excellent conference, and here are some edits
      from me. If I have not captured the sense of what you are saying and wanting
      to present, please feel free to change it!

      I did extend the times of a couple of your sessions, for your consideration
      (from 12pm to 1pm), the reason being that 40 minutes seems too short a time
      to present and discuss the main topics of the meeting. Going to 1pm may be
      too extended, but that can include both presentation and discussion, and of
      course you can always change it back!

      I hope this is helpful, and let myself and others know what else we can do
      to ensure the success of this exciting new venture! Blessings always, Janet

      LAKE VICTORIA REGIONAL CONSORTIUM 2009 ON SUSTAINABLE LOCAL TOURISM
      AND AGRICULTURE, KISUMU, KENYA (JULY 1st -3rd )

      -June 30th

      Arrival in Kisumu by the participants and facilitators; walk and sight
      seeing in the Winam Gulf, especially
      Dunga Beach (birdwatching at the Sunset Forest); relaxing and preparing for
      the Consortium, room allocation.

      -July 1st

      8:00 am - 10:30 am
      Confirmation of participants, registration; introduction, themes, and
      overview of the activities; expectations and regulations.

      10:30 am - 11:10 am: Tea Break

      11:20 am - 1:00 pm (presentation and discussion among participants):
      "Sustainable Trends for Upgrading the Economy Along the Lake Victoria
      Region"
      (presentation by Sam Kongere, Tom Ochuka, and Kenneth Chelimo):

      (a) Introducing sustainable development as a method of addressing the
      consequences of economic depressions occurring in Kenya from 1989 to date.
      The organizers believe it is important to develop a different approach and
      attitude towards employment, including the types of employment needed to
      improve standards of living in local communities and the region. Financial
      security and freedom should be based on a broader variety of jobs, and a new
      definition of "investment", beyond stocks and money markets.

      (b) Employment and investment opportunities for traders, employees,
      businesses, and investors.

      (c) Challenges and strategies related to ensuring that individuals and local
      communities can develop sustainable and self-sufficient standards of living,
      with a minimum of outside support.

      1:00 pm - 2:00 pm: Lunch

      2:20 pm - 4:30 pm
      "Introducing Community-Based, Sustainable, and Responsible Tourism"

      (a) Homestays, learning about local cultures, training on traditional
      nutrition and food-preparation.
      (b) Cultural practices and creative expressions.
      (c) Natural and human-made local attractions.
      (d) Issues and challenges related to sustainable and responsible tourism.

      4:30 pm - 5:30 pm: Break for open forum

      5:30 pm: Close of this day's sessions, dinner, entertainment

      - July 2nd

      8:00 am - 10:30 am
      "Agricultural Practices of the Region"

      (a) Types of agricultural practices.
      (b) Approach to situations of existing, continued poverty.
      (c) Approach to value-added agricultural yield
      (d) Discussion and forum: "Why are existing agricultural practices and
      trends not benefiting local communities?"

      10:30 am - 11:10 am: Tea break

      11:20 am - 1:00 pm (presentation and discussion among participants)
      Case studies, research, and conclusions on these themes:

      (a) Sustainable and responsible tourism benefitting local communities.
      (b) Value-added forms of poverty eradication, especially in the agricultural
      sector.

      1:00 pm - 2:00 pm: Lunch

      2:20 pm - 4:30 pm

      (a) Ways to move forward with sustainable, responsible, local tourism.
      (b) Sustainable agriculture in regard to the seasonal calendar.
      (c) Planning and focus of the next consortium.

      -July 3rd

      Field trips:

      (a) Nyamware horticultural scheme along Kisumu-Ahero Road
      (b) Kit Mikai-Seme Kisumu-Kisian Bondo Road

      Please visit us at http://www.friendsofrusingisland.org and give us your
      comments, suggestions, and support. Thanks, and we hope to see you at the
      conference!
    • Samwel Kongere
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27, 2009
        Ok Janet,
        This is very encouraging, i am in Nairobi. I will
        change and include your version. Thanks,
        Samwel.

      • Benoit Couture
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 27, 2009
          Samwel,

          Your response to Janet shows great humility of the best kind.  This is one way how I understand the free flow of the Spirit toward God's blessed end amongst The Family of all with all.
          Humility and confidence keep one another in balance.  You have shown both very well since I read you.  May we all learn from your example.

          All the best in your endeavors.
          Benoit

          --- Janet Feldman <kaippg@earthlink. net> wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > (a) Sustainable and responsible tourism benefitting
          > local communities.
          > (b) Value-added forms of poverty eradication,
          > especially in the agricultural
          > sector.
          >
          > 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm: Lunch
          >
          > 2:20 pm - 4:30 pm
          >
          > (a) Ways to move forward with sustainable,
          > responsible, local tourism.
          > (b) Sustainable agriculture in regard to the
          > seasonal calendar.
          > (c) Planning and focus of the next consortium.
          >
          > -July 3rd
          >
          > Field trips:
          >
          > (a) Nyamware horticultural scheme along Kisumu-Ahero
          > Road
          > (b) Kit Mikai-Seme Kisumu-Kisian Bondo Road
          >
          > Please visit us at
          > http://www.friendso frusingisland. org and give us
          > your
          > comments, suggestions, and support. Thanks, and we

          http://www.surveymo nkey.com/ s.aspx?sm= 5VvLrzLaXHc0i_ 2bh5XdOTxA_ 3d_3d

        • Samwel Kongere
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 27, 2009
            Benoit,
            Kind of you, humility has been my co-values but
            sometimes i burst. The lord has been my sheild and
            shepherd' i am trusting in him Benoit! I trust and
            believe in him to help us get funds to do this
            important event in July. Tom Ochuka is working on the
            budget.
            I am very tired today.
            God bless!
            Samwel.