Active citizenship and math for climate change

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2009
      Dear Hans Jørgen Vodsgaard,

      I'm glad to learn of your NordPlus search for partners for Active citizenship
      http://www.nordplusonline.org/eng/framework_programme/find_a_partner/active_citizenship
      I note your website: http://interfolk.dk/page9.html

      I lead Minciu Sodas, an online laboratory for serving and organizing
      independent thinkers around the world. http://www.ms.lt see also our
      letters at http://www.ms.lt/news.php We have many participants in Africa,
      Eastern Europe, Western Europe and the USA. We are based in Lithuania. We
      led a fantastic effort in "active citizenship" by organizing 100
      peacemakers in Kenya and 100 online assistants to avert genocide during
      the post-election turmoil in 2008, see our Pyramid of Peace
      http://www.pyramidofpeace.net We'd love to work with you on more such
      projects.

      Currently, I'm looking for partners for my own NordPlus proposal
      "Classic Math Problems for Changing Realities"
      http://www.nordplusonline.org/eng/framework_programme/find_a_partner/math_lesson\s_for_changing_realities
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?NordPlus
      Perhaps you might help us collect input on practical questions and
      problems related to climate change that we might answer and include as
      examples for our lessons? That would be great!

      I invite you to join us at any of our working groups such as Holistic
      Helping led by Janet Feldman,
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/holistichelping/ send a blank message to
      holistichelping-subscribe@yahoogroups.com to join or please let me know.

      We would like to work with you!

      Andrius Kulikauskas, Ph.D, is writing "Classic Math Problems", a set of
      self-standing lessons in mathematics, especially algebra. Each lesson will
      consist of a practical problem that illustrates a deep idea. For example,
      if the price of oil goes up by one-third, and then down by one-third, did
      its overall price change? (Answer: Yes! if the price was $90 per barrel,
      it went up to $120 and then down to $80) Such a problem illustrates a deep
      idea, that algebra is the study of thinking step-by-step. About thirty
      problems would be enough to teach all of algebra. We will publish them in
      the Public Domain on the web and also as a small book. We will illustrate
      each problem with many practical examples, especially related to the
      consequences of climate change. Math is useful in a world where we need to
      understand each other and share experience, help people adapt to new
      climates and accept climate refugees.

      We are looking especially for institutions that work with adults who might
      try out our materials. We are especially interested in helping adults
      learn math so that they can help children learn math. We also need
      partners who can help us find problems related directly or indirectly to
      climate change.