Partners for Afghanistan sneakernet proposal?/Andrius-all: Advice from a Friend Who Worked There!

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2009
      Dear Andrius and All,

      I put your question abt partners to my friend, Jayne Cravens, who I
      originally met when she worked for the UN Volunteers in Bonn, linked with an
      online volunteering service called Netaid. She has links to a huge number of
      individuals and orgs using ICTs in some way, and herself has been involved
      in numerous such projects. She was also posted to Afghanistan for awhile,
      again in link with the UN.

      Here is her feedback, and hope it helps. She apologized for not having
      specific contacts with the universities she mentions below...I wonder if
      anyone else does, or how we could find those? Janet

      From Jayne Cravens:

      As for partners for the ICT project in Ghor -- most potential collaborators
      are going to want to meet with someone face-to-face to hear the pitch. Also,
      you need to be VERY clear about exactly what is meant by "partner." Is the
      partner someone who introduces this project's organizers to potential
      funders? Is the partner someone who is asked to provide staff time,
      equipment, or other in-kind support? Is the partner
      someone who is asked to provide funding?

      Vic Getz <vgetz@...> runs the Afghan Gender Cafe
      (www.afghangendercafe.org/). You might see if she would be willing to post
      about this proposed activity to the web site. You could also ask her if she
      would be willing to send information about the proposed activity to the
      Afghan Women's Forum, a monthly meeting in Kabul of Afghan women and others
      working on initiatives related to Afghan women.

      If a woman can be sent to address the forum about this proposal, to talk
      about how it might benefit women, all the better.

      The organizers should also post to the bulletin board at the Survival Guide
      to Kabul: http://www.kabulguide.net This is read by most of the foreign aid
      workers living in Afghanistan.

      The American University of Kabul *may* be interested:
      http://www.auaf.edu.af/index.php

      Kabul University *may* be interested
      http://www.ku.edu.af/

      An onsite visit to the Afghanistan Research and Evaluation Unit (AREU) is
      absolutely essential.
      www.areu.org.af/

      Even if they don't partner, they will have advice on who might be good. And
      this initiative should most definitely purchase AREU's A to Z Guide, which
      is the "who's who" of government agencies, NGOs, and international aid
      agencies in Afghanistan.

      Hope that helps! Jayne