Beatrice Nzovu, Kenyan peacemaker

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 11, 2009
      Hi Beatrice Nzovu,

      Rachel wrote that you would like to attend the COMMUNIA meeting in London
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?London
      as part of the Minciu Sodas team.
      Please sign up for one of our groups and write about yourself there. I
      recommend http://groups.yahoo.com/group/holistichelping/ Holistic Helping
      led by Janet Feldman. Send a blank message to
      holisitchelping-subscribe@yahoogroups.com or let me know at ms@...

      Please send me your passport information, your CV
      if you have one, and a paragraph about your life interests, your work
      during the Kenya peace campaign, and your interests in the Public Domain.

      I don't know if we can provide any invitation for you, though. I am in
      touch with Prodromos Tsiavos, the COMMUNIA workshop organizer. He has
      received my letter requesting four invitations (for Ana, Zdenka, Fred and
      Samwel) and has sent it further.

      --------------------------

      Hi Andrius,

      I have spoken to Beatrice, a Kenyan living in Switzerland, and she was
      part of the peace compaign during the violence in Kenya, she is interested
      in participating in the Communia meeting. She requested for invitation
      letter so that she can get permission to attend. It would be good if you
      can write to her more about the Communia meeting and also the invitation
      letter.

      Beatrice, you can communicate to Andrius direct for more details.
    • ms@ms.lt
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 16, 2009
        Beatrice,

        Thank you for your letter, which I share with Holistic Helping. Please
        keep us informed of your current projects. We'd benefit from your advice,
        certainly on women's issue and peacemaking!

        Please send me all of your passport information to ms@... I learned
        today that we will get invitations for Fred, Samwel, Ana, Zdenka. I don't
        know if I can get one for you, too, but if you are fast maybe I can.

        know how i can engage more in it. Thank You.

        Kind Regards

        Beatrice Kizi Nzovu

        ----------------------

        Beatrice Kizi Nzovu

        My Life Interests

        I am aiming to become an African woman leader particularly in the peace
        building and development and to contribute to the next generation of young
        African women leaders by utilizing my voice and space and sharing my
        experiences to further women’s central role in peace building in Africa.
        Currently I am undertaking a fellowship in at Femmes Africa Solidarite,
        which will contribute towards this end. I have a background in peace
        building and working at the community level.
        Some of my life interests include enhancing women’s awareness on their
        role as leaders in conflict resolution, and also influencing and training
        women to be able to join decision making positions and political
        processes. I also seek to highlight women’s entrepreneurial initiatives at
        the grassroots level to ensure they get visibility and their work is
        adequately remunerated.

        My Experiences/Contribution during the Conflict and Post-Conflict

        During and after the conflict violence period in Kenya, I was engaged in
        the following key activities:

        1)Youth as Agents of Peace Programme

        During the immediate post-conflict period, I worked with the UN-Habitat,
        UNDP, Red-Cross, UNV, Voluntary Youth Philanthropists, Pax Romana to
        develop a training manual on peace building and conflict resolution that
        was custom-made to address the emerging issues surrounding the conflict.
        It was also designed to inspire follow-up activities thereafter that would
        have the ownership of the young people and the communities that they came
        from. I undertook training for the youth in various parts of the country,
        youth from IDP camps and from slum areas.

        2)Workplace Healing Programme
        As people went back to their places of work after the violent conflict,
        they still held on to their ‘ethnic’ political positions and affiliations.
        Colleagues that had previously been good friends were no longer on talking
        terms. This led to a lot of tension at the workplace and reduced
        productivity as they did not know how to relate to each other anymore. I
        designed a workplace healing programme that I trained other colleagues on
        and we implemented it in private sector companies, civil society
        organizations. The evaluation done shortly thereafter showed that the
        programme had enhanced working relations and a sense of normalcy was
        returning.

        3)Enhancing Women’s Voices

        During the violent conflict and the immediate post-conflict period in
        Kenya, there was a lot of media coverage of the goings-on. However, there
        was coverage of women speaking. Often they would be portrayed as helpless
        victims. I worked with the women in the IDP camps in six towns in Kenya to
        get their voices out to various media, organizations, political actors
        etcetera on what their understanding of peace as women was, what justice
        stood for them, how they as women viewed the root causes of the conflict,
        the solutions they would propose and most importantly highlighting the
        various initiatives that women had been undertaking both during the
        conflict to curb it and thereafter to reconcile warring communities. I
        also linked up some of the women that had been sexually abused with
        hospitals that could offer them free/affordable treatment, with legal
        organizations and with other humanitarian organizations that could offer
        them financial assistance. I was involved in setting up mini-business
        projects with some of the women in order to enable them to restart their
        lives again. .

        4)Training in Peace building and Conflict Transformation

        I undertook training for communities that had been directly affected by
        the violence, as part of my work with the Peace and Development Network
        Trust. The training covered various topics including trauma healing,
        understanding conflict, conflict transformation and peace building,
        mediation and negotiation skills

        5)Development of Peace Education

        In collaboration with the Ministry of Education and UNESCO, I was one of
        the three consultants engaged to develop a peace education manual for the
        Kenyan education system. The curriculum covers the primary and secondary
        education phases, a span of 12 years. The task consisted of reviewing
        documents and coming up with a training manual and a curriculum, that were
        field tested and approved by the Ministry of education for adoption. We
        trained teachers on these documents in order for them to be able to train
        other teachers and ensure the information is passed on to the students.
        Currently the pilot projects to foster these materials and enhance a
        culture of peace within the school system are ongoing.

        6)Talks, Interviews, Seminars

        I was part of a group dubbed ‘Women for Kenya’, which offered support to
        young girls and women at the IDP camps through listening to their
        experiences, mentoring the young girls who had been lured into ‘food for
        sex’, and organization of peace marches by women asking for a speedy
        political solution and restoration of peace.
        I also took part in radio interviews, exploring issues of conflict
        resolution, the available options and way forward. I attended seminars and
        gave talks to various groups including polytechnic instructors, acrobats,
        artistes, on how they could contribute towards rebuilding peace in Kenya
        with the resources and talents that they had.
        I also attended meetings and seminars to strategize on how best to engage
        with various communities and assisting various groups to come up with
        comprehensive project proposals to begin to address the underlying issues.

        7)White Ribbon Campaign

        I was involved in advocating for and promoting the white ribbon campaign
        within IDP camps, by engaging with them and encouraging them to wear a
        white ribbon each day to support the call for an agreement to be reached
        as soon as possible.
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 16, 2009
          Dear Beatrice, Rachel, Andrius, and All,

          I remember Beatrice fondly from connections we made last year, and believe
          she is either in HH now, or Voiceful (Rachel's forum), or both.

          Beatrice attended--as a representative of VYP peace efforts--an
          International Women's Day/Week event on the subject last year, as I recall,
          and she and Rachel have been involved together in other invaluable
          activities in that regard. I am so delighted that you are posting now,
          Beatrice, and remain interested in our work!

          I hope that we can organize and collaborate on a "woman-oriented" approach
          and response to ongoing peace efforts in Kenya, and in that capacity,
          Beatrice and a number of others here among us will provide invaluable
          leadership and guidance.

          Thanks so much to Beatrice, to Rachel--who introduced her to us--and to all,
          both women and men, involved in this essential and necessary work, which is
          truly the "work of the world"! Love and blessings always, Janet

> [...]
          > political solution and restoration of peace.
          > I also took part in radio interviews, exploring issues of conflict
          > resolution, the available options and way forward. I attended seminars and
          > gave talks to various groups including polytechnic instructors, acrobats,
          > artistes, on how they could contribute towards rebuilding peace in Kenya
          > with the resources and talents that they had.
          > I also attended meetings and seminars to strategize on how best to engage
          > with various communities and assisting various groups to come up with
          > comprehensive project proposals to begin to address the underlying issues.
          >
          > 7)White Ribbon Campaign
          >
          > I was involved in advocating for and promoting the white ribbon campaign
          > within IDP camps, by engaging with them and encouraging them to wear a
          > white ribbon each day to support the call for an agreement to be reached

          18:31:00
        • Rachel Kungu
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 17, 2009
            Dear Andrius, Beatrice and all,

            I hope this will be a relief to Andrius, I have communicate to an organisation in the UK (RTC- Beatrice you are aware of it) and they will write an official invitation for Beatrice so that she can attend the Communia meeting and have time to meet with RTC staff. However, I would like Andrius to write a letter too about the communia meeting so that Beatrice can also have it. More or less the same letter you will write to me not official but saying why we are coming to the UK. We need it to show to the immigration at the airport in UK. I hope thats ok so far. I will BCC RTC and then they will write to Beatrice direct.

            Regards

            Rachel

            --
            Rachel Wambui Kung'u