DIY Solar " Light a Home"

  • Rachel Kungu
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2009
      Dear all,

      "Light a Home" is a project of voluntary Youth Philanthropists to ensure that rural areas have DIY solar for the light and for radio power and solar torches. The project I thought of during my visit to the UK when we met with Graham who also gave me samples to carry with me.

      I have organized youth in 3 rural settings (20-25 people per group) in Kenya where they use petroleum products for lighting the lamps/any other lighting equipment.  we have introduced the concept and used the samples to illustrate the use of the solar for radios especially and touch. The project has been embraced by the youth in the rural areas and we are working together to set up the project to benefit the homes in the rural settings where their main source of income is subsistence farming and pastrolism, education to many is a luxury after standard eight due to lack of school fees and thus makes it very difficult to raise the standards of living. HIV/aids has also rocked the areas with little knowledge on the same. The groups we have organised will be used for outreach in the community after the necessary trainings and they will also work on the "Light a Home" project as a source of income generating project one among the many they will be introduced to as the time goes by.

      I  have a technical guy who is going to show them how to assemble the DIY solar, and later the project to be for the community/youth in the rural area. However, the materials to assemble for the above mentioned solar lighting projects one is approximately USD 10 and can be sold between USD 20-30. I am looking for people who are willing to contribute for the project as seed money.  I would appreciate if i could be supported with USD 500 to kick start the project.

      In summer we have organised work camps in those 3 rural areas and we are going to make some of the equipments and encourage interactions among youth from different communities.

      Thanks to Graham Knight for the knowledge you have shared with me. You will give a smile to many youth rocked in rural remote areas.

      Light a Home

      Regards

      --
      Rachel Wambui Kung'u
      Executive Director
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2, 2009
        Dear Rachel and All,

        Hello and this is excellent!  Great minds think alike, too, because Graham had just mentioned to me the need for a "plan" of some kind to be developed, in conjunction with receiving DIY Solar equipment.

        Hopefully the $500 to jumpstart the project can be raised from somewhere. Is there any way at least some of it can proceed without funding?

        Also, I have received your marvelous newsletter and love both the form and its contents!! Immense thanks for this inspiring publication!

        I'd like to post a smaller version of it on to others, and to forums. Do you have a "plain-text" one, or is posted at your website, so I can give people a url for further info?  The newsletter is so rich in HTML--which makes it so attractive!--that unfortunately it is too many MB's to be posted at ActALIVE et al "as is". Their limit is 1MB.

        Thanks again for all of this wonderful news, and love and blessings to you and all! Janet

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2, 2009
          Dear Janet,

          Wht is the legal structure holistichelping is operating under? This can make all the difference.

          Have a great day.
          Sherrie Noble

          To: holistichelping@yahoogroups.com; meadowlea@...; voiceful@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 2, 2009
            Dear Sherrie and All,

            Nice to see you posting! Holistic Helping is a Yahoogroups forum. If you're referring to finding funds, individuals among us usually contribute to that. VYP is a nonprofit in Kenya, so it might have some ability to fundraise that would be different from what we can do here.

            If you have any ideas or sources of support for something like this, we are all ears!!

            Thanks so much and best wishes, Janet

            To: holistichelping@yahoogroups.com; meadowlea@...; voiceful@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 2, 2009

              Dear Janet,

              Ideas are never a problem and I do have experience.  But I need some more background.  Please call or email me directly.  It is a time thing and not everyone has time to follow every piece of this exchange.  With DIY being US based it gets pretty technical on the legal end.  And what works in one country is, so far, very complex to transfer elsewhere.

              Thanks.

              Sherrie Noble

              Director Noble Group

              mailto:Sherrie@...

              1 (440)829-0705

              To: holistichelping@yahoogroups.com; meadowlea@...; voiceful@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2009
                Dear Sherrie,

                I happened to notice a reference to 'DIY' in your message to Janet.

                If this is referring to DIY Solar - in the UK not US - it might be best if we
                corresponded directly and I will give you more background.

                Graham

                To: holistichelping@ yahoogroups. com; meadowlea@att. net; voiceful@yahoogroup s.com

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 3, 2009
                  Dear Janet,

                  Thanks alot for your continued support. we are working on logistic now. With my current financial state, I will hold until am able to raise some funds. However, we are going ahead with the community outreach and other activities which do not require finance.

                  Am also in touch with Graham, discussing on the way forward.

                  Yes the newsletter is now on our website, www.peace-caravan.org/newsletter, thanks again.

                  Regards

                  Rachel

                • rachel.kungu@gmail.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 3, 2009
                    Dear Janet, the newsletter webpage is
                    www.peace-caravan.org/newsletter.html Regards

                    --
                    Rachel Wambui Kung'u
                    Executive Director
                    Voluntary Youth Philanthropists
                    P.O.Box 19705-00202
                    Tel: +254 2367689
                    Mobile: +254 721 626389
                    website: www.peace-caravan.org
                    www.peacecaravan.ushahidi.com
                    Blog: www.peacecaravan.wordpress.com
                    skype: rachelken1
                  • ACTWID KONGADZEM
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 5, 2009
                      dEAR gRAHAM,
                      wE HAVE BEN READING ALL THE POSTINGS SENT OUT BY OTHERS ON THE diy solar POWER AND IT IS INTERESTING. WE FOLLOWED UP HERE TO RESEARCH ON IT AND WE FOUND OUT THAT SOME FEW MEMBERS IN OUR COMMUNITY THOUGH AT DISTANT AREAS HAVE CONNECTED OR LIGHTED THEIR HOMES WITH SOLAR POWER. WE HAVE TRIED TO FIND OUT FROM THEM HOW THIS CAME ABOUT AND ONE TOLD US THAT HE GOT HIS EQUIPMENT FROM HIS FRIENDS THE MISSIONARIES ABROAD AND HE IS DOING WELL IT IT.
                      FOR THE PASR TWO DAYS WE HAVE NOT BEEN HAVING ELECTRICITY HERE IN OUR TOWN AND WE ARE REALLY LONGING TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE DIY SOLAR AND HOW IT CAN BE CONNECTED TOO. WE ALSO WISH TO LET YOU KNOW THAT WHAT YOU SENT TO US ON DIY SOLAR HAS NOT YET BEEN RECEIVED AND WE ARE STILL WAITING.
                      IMMENSE THANKS
                      SINCERELY ACTWID MEMBERS LED BY WENDI

                      To: holistichelping@ yahoogroups. com; meadowlea@att. net; voiceful@yahoogroup s.com

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 7, 2009
                        Dear Wendi, AK friends, Graham, Andrius, and All,

                        It's great to see you corresponding, and this is a good time to pick up on
                        the correspondence/blogging abt solar power, for which Andrius has sent some
                        funds.

                        I read this note to indicate that you have not gotten what Graham has sent,
                        Wendi...is that right? Graham, what did you send, and when?

                        In the meantime, I think it would be great if you could write more (Wendi
                        and AK) about your research in Cameroon. Questions such as: "what equipment
                        are they using?", "how available is the equipment, and how expensive is
                        it?", "would it be possible for you to do the same, at least in a test
                        area?", "what could you do to advance the use of solar without a lot of
                        equipment?", "how can you ready yourselves for the day when you may get such
                        equipment?", "who can you/we reach out to help?", and so on.

                        Can you write some letters on this subject, even if you can't send them
                        right away, due to electricity shortages? It would be very helpful for you
                        to document this whole project (or what we hope will be a project), from
                        pre-start to starting up, implementing, evaluating, and more.

                        Right now, you are in the "research" phase, so please write up what you are
                        discovering as you go along. Then hopefully we can get you some items from
                        DIY, and you can start to write abt that.

                        With greatest thanks and blessings always, Janet