water purification

  • cathy stubington
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 26, 2009
      Hello there friends,
      A friend of mine who is a production potter has been working with a network of potters in various countries, to develop simple on-site water filters.  They are low-tech, low maintenance, and low cost (probably the equivalent of $15 -$20), and designed so that they can be in peoples' homes. Basically the filter is a ceramic container, with a certain porosity to let the water through, and lined with a very thin layer of colloidal silver which acts as an anti-bacterial, as I understand. There are now workshop/factories in several countries (including Nicaragua and Senegal), and last year one opened in Limuru Kenya.  The production of them is set up in already-existing production potteries.  If you would like to know more please check www.potterswithoutborders.com . Or ask me and I will find out from my friend. He has a workshop near here where he has been working on improving the system.
      Yours Cathy S
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 26, 2009
        Dear Cathy and All,

        Wow, this is fantastic!!  You are truly a fount of knowledge (Harry Potter's got nothin' on you :)), and I hope we'll be able to filter our questions through you more often!

        This is a great blending of arts/handcrafts and development/health, and a wonderful synergy of the local and global! It would be very interesting to find out more abt the project in Limura, if you can get us more info.

        Thanks again so much, and hope we can pick the pads projects up soon too. Andrius, Barbara, and I talked abt it a bit, and came up with some interesting ideas (if I say so myself :)).

        All best wishes and artistic affections, Janet
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 7, 2009
          As I understand, in Limuru there is a workshop run by a man named Wambugo where they are set up to produce these on-site filters. I have written to find out if they are in production and will let you know if I hear back.. There will soon be another production site, in Kitale.
          I asked about the solar purification - it is an emergency measure - hopefully the bottles are in the sun long enough to complete the process ; hopefully the  water is clear initially otherwise the sun's rays will be reflected off. That is what my friend told me who is working on the ceramic filters.
          yours Cathy S

[...]

          Checked by AVG.