Water Purification

  • Kennedy Owino
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2009
      Hi Sam, Tom and all,

      I have realised a new trend of purifying water in Kibera slums.
      I have also joined the long list of people purifying water using solar.
      It is quite easy and nominally cheap-absolutely costless i would say.

      It involves keeping water in a 5lt (whatever size you choose) water bottle that has been painted black.
      The water bottle is left in the iron sheet roofs for some hours.
      The water undergoes purification using the sun’s rays through a technique known as solar water disinfection process (Sodis).

      It is an open secret that tap water  and water bought from water vendors in the slum is contaminated with sewage.

      After hours under the sun, the water is safe for drinking.

      This water purification process involves simply exposing the liquid to the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays. In just hours, the UV radiation from the sun’s rays will have killed the micro-organisms in the water.

      I think this is a phenomenon worth being adopted by the rural communities where diarrohea, cholera or water borne diseases is commn place.

      Peace,

      Ken Owino
      Nafsi Africa Acrobats
      www.nafsiafrica.org