Re: OLPC Afghanistan and Ghor province

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 25, 2009
      Mohammad, Thank you for your letters which I share with Edward Cherlin's
      Earth Treasury working group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/earthtreasury/
      and other working groups at our lab.
      Thank you also to John Deneen for your letter about
      http://www.trustineducation.org Budd Mackenzie, I alert him to our work,
      too. Andrius

      ---------------------------------

      Hello dear Andrius Kulikauskas

      Unfortunately I don’t have any contact in Ghor province.

      Mathematics exercise materials would be very interesting thing for
      students to learn mathematics, this is a very good idea. Actually I have
      similar idea and I have been following Micromedia Flash 8 program course
      since December, it will help me to make some learning materials for
      students in Flash program.

      You might know that, most teachers in Afghanistan don’t know computer usage.

      In capital of Afghanistan (Kabul) we don’t have electricity, though 35%
      population in Kabul city has computer but we could not take benefit from
      our computers.
      In this situation, what do you think? Would it be possible that, teachers
      through internet be linked with each other?

      Thank you for your invitation, I will join the group and you could share
      my mail in public lab.

      Sincerely yours,
      Mohammad Hamed Quraishi

      ---------------------------------------

      Dear Kulikauskas,

      Sorry for responding late.

      Thank you for your email and your interest to do some projects in
      Afghanistan.

      I am Mohd Hamed working in Kabul with OLPC project and you might know
      that, 11000 laptops will be deployed to some schools in five provinces of
      Afghanistan (Kabul, Baghlan, Balkh, Herat and Jallalabad). Every school
      will receive 20 laptops, the minimum average of students in each school
      are 1000. We could understand how less laptop per child will be deployed.
      Even most provinces of Afghanistan won’t receive any thing which, Ghor
      province is one of them.

      We could write a proposal for OLPC project in Ghor province.

      As you might know Afghanistan is an agricultural country so mostly best
      projects would be agricultural projects in Afghanistan to benefit the
      people.

      My father is Agriculture Expert and we have got an Organization license
      from government of Afghanistan and it is possible that, we write some
      agricultural projects proposal.

      Thank you for your consideration and time I am looking forward to receive
      a reply from your side.

      Dear Mohammed Hamad,

      Thank you for your reply from Afghanistan!

      Yes, I would be interested to work with you to write a proposal to
      Lithuania's Foreign Ministry. Do you have any contacts in Ghor Province?
      The foreign ministry has not yet announced its call for projects for 2009.

      I am currently especially interested in writing mathematics learning
      materials. These materials could be in English but also in local
      languages. We could collect math exercises that relate to local
      agriculture, business and culture.

      I would like to develop the use of such learning materials in a variety of
      media, including paper, used computers (they could run Sugar) and OLPC
      laptops.

      I would also like to develop a "sneakernet" system for linking teachers in
      Ghor province with the rest of Afghanistan by writing and reading letters
      onto USB flash drives.

      Would this be interesting? How might this relate to your own interests?

      Please, I invite you and your colleagues to join us at Edward Cherlin's
      working group Earth Treasury http://groups.yahoo.com/group/earthtreasury/
      where we are working on open source textbooks for OLPC and in general.
      Send a blank message to earthtreasury-subscribe@yahoogroups.com or let me
      know and I will sign you up.

      May I share the letter you sent with our lab? We work openly, publicly,
      in the Public Domain.

      Thank you!