Welcome! and my response to Samwel

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15, 2006
      Janet,

      I wish to add my welcome to yours to all your new members! Thank you,
      Samwel, for signing them up. Holistic Helping is a very important
      working group for our Minciu Sodas laboratory http://www.ms.lt Our
      laboratory serves and organizes "independent thinkers" around the world.
      But "thinking" is only good if it is "helpful".

      Janet Feldman is very experienced at helping others, especially working
      online to help our brothers and sisters on-the-ground in Africa. She is
      also a very mature independent thinker. She is able to ask big questions
      and look for heartfelt answers. She has agreed to "think out loud" here.
      This will encourage us all to do likewise and grow as leaders.

      Our laboratory has different working groups for supporting new
      approaches: global villages, open economy, online learning environments,
      improving collaboration, leadership development, conceptual frameworks,
      loving God. But we have learned the obvious: We need to respond to
      people who need and want help, otherwise the rest of life is empty. We
      care especially for Africa because the need is so clear. Janet pursues a
      new approach which she calls "holistic helping", and which means that
      it's best to care about every issue, rather than just some issues,
      because they are all connected in what makes us human.

      I know little about Africa. But I have learned that the big challenges
      can bring out our boldness, especially if somebody stands up to them. I
      have been very inspired by Joy Tang, Jeff Buderer and others at
      OneVillage.biz who are responding to the HIV/AIDS challenge with the
      idea of "unity centers" within villages. Through them our laboratory has
      connected with Henry Migingo in Kenya, Janet herself, and quite a few
      others, so that our circles keep growing. I look forward to our bold ideas!

      I am also careful to be very clear about the amount of help that I
      myself can provide. My financial situation is quite difficult as I have
      many debts and my income is irregular. But I am interested to try to be
      creative. I hope we write about our realities (as much as we feel
      comfortable). That is hard to do, but it gives us each a chance to look
      at ourselves, and it gives us all a chance to help each other.

      I imagine that, practically, some of the best things we might accomplish
      are to link up our African participants so that you might build useful
      connections, as many of you have started at Africa Source II. Feel free
      to introduce yourselves! Please don't be shy. Then it will become clear
      how I and others in the world might try to help. At our lab, we practice
      working openly.

      I care about Janet's work because I believe that she is helping people
      find practical resources for real challenges. My strategy is that we try
      to learn how to help her so that she might help others even more.

      We have managed to help Samwel Kongere in small but meaningful ways. So
      far we together earned and raised $500 which allowed him to attend
      Africa Source II and acquire a computer. He helped me and our lab by
      doing important work which included a social mapping project and
      research on business opportunities in literacy. We have agreed that he
      will work a bit more for our lab until the end of this month, and then
      he will have completed his work to date.

      Samwel, I share your letter to me, and I hope to write more soon.
      Briefly, I don't have any means to contribute to Internet access for
      you. Also, for our laboratory, it is actually not a priority. I have
      very few resources and I think it's best to share them or invest them in
      terms of participant's time rather than technology. Also, it's actually
      more interesting for our lab to see how you might optimize marginal
      Internet access? What are projects that you can help with even if you
      don't have good Internet? What you learn about that we can then share
      with others. Of course, if you can find a way to get Internet access,
      then that is very good, if you can. But I don't recommend it if you
      don't have the resources. Perhaps others here might advise.

      You are interested in Linux, which can be a useful technology to learn
      (I am using it and learning it, too). Perhaps others here might share
      some business advice.

      I wrote in my earlier letter what would be very helpful for our
      laboratory: If you could write about people you know who you think are
      successful at "living comfortably while helping others". Perhaps there
      are others on our list who have succeeded, or can share good examples?
      Our lab is building for WICC an online learning environment for a
      related issue: designing community currencies. Our environment will
      include a collection of "principles" and "beliefs" that people have
      about money, wealth, economy, etc. John calls this our "money mind". It
      would be very helpful to learn about the "money mind" in Kenya. What do
      people believe about money? What are alternatives to money? How do
      people behave with money? I will write more, and meanwhile I appreciate
      our thoughts.

      For example, one thing that Samwel does very well, and many of us
      perhaps do well, is that we're not afraid to ask for help. This is a
      very healthy way to think, a healthy "principle", at least in the West.
      How about in Africa?

      Thank you!

      +370 (699) 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania

    • Lucas Gonzalez Santa Cruz
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 16, 2006
        Samwel and all,

        I followed this sequence:
        * http://www.linux.org
        * http://www.linux.org/groups/index.html
        * http://www.linux.org/groups/kenya.html
        * http://www.linuxkenya.net/

        Which finally brings us to:
        KenyaLinux User Group: If you would like to subscribe to this group:
        kenyalinux-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        (I've subscribed and it's active. They are helpful, as LUGs usually
        are. A gem, maybe!)

        There's also some assorted comments picked from my blog at
        http://www.globalvillages.info/index.php/Blogs/LucasGonzalez
        Here they are:
        * http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000031 Fon is community wifi. Tie
        this with http://wndw.net and some other “stone soup” ingredients, and
        off we all go.
        * NGO in a box: http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/004083.html
        * http://www.timbuktuchronicles.blogspot.com/
        * http://www.dynebolic.org (a distribution for old hardware, sound etc)
        * http://www.otherpower.com/ “The cutting edge of low technology”.
        Otherpower.com’s latest project. 3kW+ output, 48VDC, 17-foot diameter
        wind turbine built from scratch.
        * http://www.worldchanging.org alerts us to a "relatively prosaic
        project generating a relatively small amount of power"
        http://www.biodesign.org.uk/ with do-it-yourself solar-panels for under
        $1 (?).
        * http://solarray.blogspot.com/2004/12/human-power-stations.html (and
        links).