Re: Rising Voices Application Form

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 17, 2009
      Kennedy, Please review, edit and submit the proposal. I'm glad for your
      work! I hope we win! Andrius

      Last Name *Owino
      First Name *Kennedy Ochieng
      Email *nafsiafricaacro@...
      Phone/Skype +254723568251
      Phone/Skype
      Website www.nafsiafrica.org
      Project Kenya-Lithuania Video Youth Outreach
      Address *P.o Box 55712-00200 Nairobi, Kenya

      Describe the project you are proposing as clearly as possible in just five
      sentences. * (100 words)

      Nafsi Africa Acrobats (Kenya) and Eiciunai Youth Occupation Centre
      (Lithuania) both help youth make the most of all they have. We worked
      together as peacemakers in Kenya’s 2008 post-election turmoil. Our
      acrobats later performed in Eiciunai and taught the village youth just as
      we do the Nairobi street children. We propose to create four video
      lessons each in Kenya and Lithuania, and eight video bridges to teach each
      other what is best taught visually, such as acrobatics, sign language, and
      community theatre. We will publish our video lessons in the Public Domain
      along with our blogs, chats, wikis and emails.

      Describe the community you are targeting. How would the project benefit
      the community? * (100 words)

      We are targeting youth and children who aren’t making good use of their
      free time. NAA teach acrobatics as a learning activity for street
      children in Nairobi’s slums who have nothing. EYOC teach village youth
      how to have fun without drinking. Youth and children often have physical
      talents that video allows us to nurture and share more broadly. They
      treasure encouragement from afar, especially when they have few
      opportunities at home. They open up to embrace positive behavior:
      learning, arts, nonviolence, tolerance, storytelling, advocacy, crime
      prevention, HIV/AIDS prevention, mediamaking, helping each other and
      working together.

      What is your relationship with the community you are targeting? Why are
      you the best individual/organization to lead this project? Do you have
      prior experience in citizen media training? * (100 words)

      NAA and EYOC both have groups of youth and children which they have
      fostered for years and with which they have already created videos. Both
      groups have strong leaders who are active in the Minciu Sodas online
      network and openly grow as independent thinkers. Both groups are
      endlessly creative and eager to build friendships. They are cited by
      others as models to follow. They are recognized for their tangible
      influence on their community’s hopes for the future. Norwegian television
      invited NAA to Norway to perform live, and Lithuania’s Ministry of
      Agriculture awarded EYOC’s leader Audrone Anusauskiene as an
      “enlightener”.

      What kinds of news, stories, information and other content will your
      project provide? Describe your vision for the content. * (200 words)

      We will create four videos in Kenya and four videos in Lithuania to teach
      each other what we know that is best taught visually. For example, our
      Kenyans will create a video of acrobatic lessons and then upload it or
      mail it to Lithuania where the youth will try it out. Then we will come
      together with a video bridge to show what we’ve learned and get more help.
      We will choose topics based on our youth’s current interests and the
      potential for live, interactive peer-to-peer learning. They might include
      folk dancing, literacy (games with phonics flash cards), community theatre
      (and HIV/AIDS prevention) and electronics (solar panels for recharging
      mobile phones), mathematics, wood carving, and the arts. We can learn
      sign language and link Deaf Impact in Kisumu and the school for the deaf
      in Panevezys (where the acrobats performed!). We will facilitate small
      projects by local artists and Minciu Sodas participants around the world.
      EYOC will live stream the video bridges and publish them on the Internet.
      Earth Treasury and Minciu Sodas will help us organize the video materials
      along with our related blogs, wikis, chats and emails as self-standing
      lessons in the Public Domain.

      Who will generate the content? Who is the target audience? How, and how
      often, will it be distributed? What language(s) will it be available in? *
      (200 words)

      Each video will be created by an adult instructor working with youth and
      children. Our first goal is to engage youth and children locally so that
      they enjoy contributing as video performers, creators and educators. Our
      next goal is to create each video so that it excites our friends in the
      other country and inspires them to learn and then share what they learn in
      our video bridge. Our final goal is to capture our helpful teaching and
      good energy in a Public Domain lesson that has lasting value on the
      Internet. EYOC will record and live stream the video bridges at their
      website http://www.internettv.lt and likewise distribute the video lessons
      there and through YouTube and other channels. We are also creating a
      Sneakernet distribution system based in Nairobi. The materials will
      primarily be in English but also include interaction in Lithuanian,
      Kiswahili and other Kenyan languages. We may succeed in creating a “hit”
      at YouTube as Minciu Sodas participant Graham Knight did with his DIY
      Solar video (200,000+ hits). But our real wish is to forge connections
      between our two groups that span a variety of channels (email, wiki, chat,
      blog, Skype) and a variety of age groups.

      What kinds of participation and interaction do you expect from the
      readers/listeners/viewers of your content? How will you encourage
      readership, participation, and interaction? * (100 words)

      We will be linking Nairobi and Eiciunai, two of the strongest bases for
      Minciu Sodas activity. The creation of Public Domain learning materials
      is a current focus for this network. Video bridges are also key as a
      technology for global villages. We also are investigating the uses of
      “sneakernet” technologies for sharing video files. We therefore expect
      many Minciu Sodas working groups to leverage our Kenya-Lithuania learning
      bridge. Our work together will resonate across the emails, wikis, chats
      and blogs of the Minciu Sodas network and invite new relationships as
      well.

      Describe what technologies and tools your project will use to produce the
      content. What kinds of technical skills and expertise do you bring to the
      project? What are your technical needs? * (150 words)

      NAA has a video camera and produces videos of their performances and
      peacemaking. Zenonas Anusauskas of EYOC set up twelve video bridges for
      Minciu Sodas for the EU’s Global Utopias project. EYOC are experts at
      live video streaming, having set that up for Lithuania’s parliament!
      Minciu Sodas will send a projector to Kenya. NAA also needs a fast laptop
      suitable for video editing. We also need fast Internet access in Nairobi
      for the video bridge events.

      How will you measure and evaluate your project’s impact – on your main
      participants? other contributors? on the larger community? How many
      participants do you expect to be involved in your project? How will you
      seek and sustain their involvement? * (200 words)

      We will measure the number and strength of relationships that we build
      between Kenya and Lithuania, and their channels, such as emails, chats,
      wiki, Skype. We will measure the number of youth and children who get
      actively involved, and also the number of new people who participate in
      our groups. We expect each group to have 25 youth learning some video
      skills and each to bring 250 participants total for the video bridges. We
      will note the relationships that we form with other groups thanks to this
      project, especially those who ask for help, whether to use video
      technology, to learn the lessons taught, or to make links with our
      friends. We will respond to those online who we hear from. We will
      sustain our activity by encouraging further video learning, creating
      Public Domain learning materials, and fostering video links between global
      villages. We see this activity as opening many business opportunities.

      What challenges do you expect to face, and how do you plan to overcome
      them? * (200 words)

      We need to engage the youth and children so they are not too shy to
      participate! But we have a lot of experience in that. We will have to
      learn how to think visually, how to use video to teach and learn. We will
      need to make use of additional channels such as phone, Skype, SMS, chat to
      answer questions as they come up. We need to be sensitive to youth and
      family concerns when broadcasting and publishing youth activity, and edit
      material accordingly. We need to overcome prejudices we may have for each
      other. We are fortunate that Kennedy Owino and the Nafsi Africa Acrobats
      visited us in Eiciunai and impressed us with their grace, daring,
      intelligence and friendship. We need to find locations in Nairobi with
      high speed Internet access. Such possibilities are growing in number. We
      need to transfer video bridging skills from Eiciunai to Nairobi. This can
      be the subject of our first video!

      How do you plan to sustain your project's content after the Rising Voices
      funding has ended? Detail specific plans. How do you plan to raise revenue
      to continue your efforts in the future? * (200 words)

      The economic downturn brings new attention to education and new
      opportunity in the creation of Public Domain learning materials. By
      linking video lessons with video bridging and social networking we can
      engage others with our skills and talents. We become “global villagers”
      who can help people leap through the air, or carve sculptures, or learn
      mathematics. We will publish Public Domain learning materials in
      mathematics and other subjects. Minciu Sodas has a chat room
      www.helproom.org which we intend to staff 24 hours and provide help for
      free and for pay to all who come. We will also provide tutoring by Skype.
      We are also building relationships between isolated people and thus
      generating wealth in ways that the European Union and other insitutions
      might support. We can help each other promote eco-tourism and trade in
      Kenya and Lithuania. Our relationship is an axis for global teams that we
      can organize, as we did with the Pyramid of Peace www.pyramidofpeace.net
      to avert genocide in Kenya (along with Rising Voices award-winner ! Dennis
      Kimambo of REPACTED, Rachel Wambui Kungu of VYP Peace Caravan, Janet
      Feldman of ActAlive and many others).

      What resources and support can Rising Voices provide to your project to
      ensure its success? * (200 words)

      Rising Voices can open our minds to new possibilities in video and
      software. You can also help us understand the strengths of our work and
      who in the world might be interested. What channels might we publish
      through? What business opportunities might we pursue? We are also
      organizing a larger culture of, by and for independent thinkers. We
      encourage all to foster and apply their own best judgment, for example, to
      contribute to the Public Domain. We wish to merge our work with others
      who have such values. We invite others to join in such a culture. We
      wish for more contacts in Latin America and Asia.

      Many internet users, at first, are not aware that what they publish online
      is immediately available for anyone anywhere to read, and that it is
      permanently archived. How do you plan on conveying the openness and
      permanence of the internet to your project's participants? * (150 words)

      We will make use of each other's works and thereby make concrete the
      consequences of sharing. Our leaders share a commitment to the Public
      Domain as part of the Minciu Sodas culture. Therefore we talk about the
      Public Domain as part of including participants. We also talk about the
      value of sharing. Knowledge out of context is worthless. Our wealth is
      our relationships!

      Detail a specific budget of up to $5,000 for two years of operating costs.
      Applicants are encouraged to submit budgets for less than the maximum
      $5,000 as smaller grants allow us to fund more projects. Hosting fees and
      curriculum resources will be provided by Rising Voices and therefore need
      not be included as budget expenses. Potential costs might include
      hardware, internet access, workshop costs, translation, travel, and
      coordinator expenses. *

      $1,000 = 2 years x $500 for Internet Acess in Nairobi
      $1,000 = 1 laptop for video editing in Nairobi
      $400 = 8 x $50 for video bridge organizing in Nairobi
      $400 = 8 x $50 for video bridge organizing in Eiciunai
      $400 = 4 x $100 for video creation in Nairobi
      $400 = 4 x $100 for video creation in Eiciunai
      $200 = shipping video projector from Lithuania to Kenya
      $100 = costs for CDs, mailing, etc.

      $3,900 Total

      We'll be contributing much of our own equipment and organizing additional
      funds for travel, food, and so on. We'll be leveraging resources from
      other events that we organize.

      We can accept funding through Nafsi Africa Acrobats in Kenya and Eiciunai
      Youth Occupation Centre in Lithuania (both are nonprofits) or through
      Minciu Sodas (a sole proprietorship in Lithuania/USA).

      How did you hear about this grant competition?

      Through Janet Feldman's email group Holistic Helping.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 17, 2009
        Hello Dear Ken, Andrius, and All,

        Wonderful to see you both posting abt this project, and I read with great
        enthusiasm your ideas of a few days ago too, Ken! I'm sorry that I have not
        responded sooner (I've been working on a couple proposals too, and my dad
        has had several health-related situations during the past four days or so)!

        Hopefully I am not too late now to mention this idea (below) of Ken's that
        really intrigued me (I've edited a bit):

        "Acrobatics groups can be involved in this project via e-learning from the
        Internet, which they can then teach to street children. Acrobats are already
        training street children in acrobatics skills, so the addition of other
        subjects should be fairly easy to introduce.

        Identified groups could be provided with a laptop and taught how to link to
        the Internet, as well as with other groups in the same program. Artists
        would get basic training in peer-education techniques, HIV/AIDS, adolescent
        and sexual reproductive health issues, environmental concerns, and how to
        use ICTs for purposes of education, citizen journalism, and personal as well
        as community development. They would then provide trainings for young people
        on these subjects.

        Such a project might be replicated anywhere, which could create
        opportunities for national and international interchanges, as artists and
        street children worldwide might communicate--sharing ideas and
        knowledge--and provide help to one another on a variety of subjects."

        I think this is too good an idea not to be included in your proposal...could
        it be done linked to the "adult instructors" mentioned in one of the
        paragraphs ("who will generate content")? Or do you think it could be a
        whole separate project (ie too much for this proposal to include, but maybe
        we could pursue its development with some other grant)?

        Thanks again for this exciting proposal, and hope we can find a way to
        implement it, regardless of the outcome of the RV grant competition this
        time around!

        Blessings and artistic affections always, Janet

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 18, 2009
          Hi Kennedy,
          I couldn't get in touch with you and I didn't hear from you
          so I submitted it as below under your name.
          I changed the title to "Kenya-Lithuania Visual Learning"
          Andrius

        • Kennedy Owino
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 18, 2009
            Hi Andrius , Janet and Zenonas,

            Thank you all for your invaluable inputs.
            I am sorry, a better part of  yesterday i was experiencing low server problems.
            Anyway, i managed to edit the draft and submitted it in the early morning of yesterday.
            Janet, i am sorry i am reading your mail the dawn of today, so it is unfortunate your profound thoughts and suggestions drifted in after i had submitted the proposal.
            However, i appreciate alot for your numerous efforts and hope that we will work on this together as always.
            Andrius, i hope that the duplicated submission won't bear any complication or confusion.

            Zenonas, i am happy and glad that we can do something together.
            Yes, we can do the English and drumming virtual tutorials anytime soon.
            Reach me on my skype adress: nafsiafrikaacrobats.

            I wish you all the best,

            Ken Owino
            Nafsi Africa Acrobats
            www.nafsiafrica.org